Fuel efficiency and MAF - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 16:19 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Fuel efficiency and MAF

Dear All

I've had an issue recently with my 2005 Swift Freestyle (630L).

My MPG has dropped significantly from around 24mpg to circa 18mpg. I have a turbo tuning device (fitted by previous owner) and suspected this however after running some tests suggested by the manufacturer it would suggest this is OK.

During discussions with said manufacturer, they suggested a dirty or poorly functioning MAF sensor. Great thinks I - whiz it off clean or replace, jobs a goodun.... but problem!! The engine is a 2.8JTD Ducato, but the MAF isn't where it should be on the engine side of the ait filter. There doesn't seem to be one anywhere on the air intake lines. There is however a tube device fitted exactly where I would have expected the MAF. This has some sort of diaphragm and spring attached to it. Could it be that I don't have a MAF and this is some sort of mechanical equivalent? I can trace the tube connected to this to some sort of box - a tube leading from this appears to go to the oil filter??

Also I noticed when I stripped the air filter out that there is either diesel or oil in the pipework leading to the engine - and lots in the previously described diaphragm set-up.

Can anyone please shed any light on any of this? I'm really struggling to find info online and couldn't see anything similar in other posts.

Many thanks for any help.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 21:24

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
A turbo-charger is a purely mechanical device, there is nothing to tune.

If itís a plug in device it is an electronic gizmo that sends incorrect information the ECU so that it delivers extra fuel (to give a bit more power) If thatís gone on the blink it could be your problem, try disconnecting it to see if it makes any difference.

The bit you are describing sounds like it could be the Exhaust Gas Recirculating (EGR) valve. They are notorious for causing problems. Mr Google will throw up loads of info.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 22:26

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 08:21

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,103 Times in 1,040 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I wonder if this tuning device is to do with the waste gate or the turbo pressure?

I have the same engine 2002, and get a engine light come on if I go over certain revs under load, I back off and it's fine again, I was told this is the MAP or MAP, just not got around to sorting it yet, it's only been doing it for two years

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page