How much power with a 2.3 engine? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 00:14 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
How much power with a 2.3 engine?

As some of you will know I'm looking at the Hymer Exsis-i 504.

It's 3.5T with 740kg payload - but that's before any additions like awning etc.

The engine is the 2.3 Fiat engine with 130/150/180HP options and I will be going for Comfortmatic. I know nothing at all about the Fiat engine; my own is the Ford 2.4, 148HP which pulls our 4.2T van quite nicely.

If the van were fully loaded - as it probably will be - would the 130HP be sufficient?

I also noticed in one version of the specs: "100 litre fresh water tank with 20 litres available while in transit". Does that mean that you physically can't carry more than 20l when driving?? - as in some kind of automatic drain. Seems an odd thing to say.

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 00:20

My Motorhome: A big black & white one
I have the Fiat 2.3 150BHP on a 4.2T van and it is great. I would have thought the 130BHP on a 3.5T van would be just as good.
The Following User Says Thank You to siggie For This Useful Post:
jiwawa (30-10-2016)
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 00:29

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
My last van was 4.25 tonnes and we routinely towed a 950kg car behind - so a little over 5 tonnes in total. The engine was the 130bhp 2.3L and we never had any problems. On long uphills on motoways it was sometimes necessary to drop down to 4th but other than that no problems. Acceleration and pulling power were also always perfectly acceptable and cruising at maximum permitted speeds on motorways and the like was never a problem.

Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to peribro For This Useful Post:
jiwawa (30-10-2016)

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 01:36

My Motorhome: Hymer B598PL
Hi Jean,

Our van is a Hymer B598PL which is the same shape and weight as the one you are considering. It is a 2.3 130BHP version. Our unladen weight is 3150kg with a 350kg payload. In France this year we were running at 3700 kg partly because we carried water at up to 140 kg if full. I am considering updating to 3850kg which I am assured is a simple paper exercise.

We did over 3000 miles in France this year and have done a total of about 6000 so far. I find that it drives well and has a slightly higher natural cruising speed with its 6 gears (manual) than my mk6 Transit had with 5 manual gears. The transit ran well at about 55mph, whereas the Fiat is happy at 60mph. It feels like there is more power available although 60mph is plenty. I like to look around as we travel and consider the driving as part of the experience. Fuel consumption is similar. I am consistently getting 30 mpg from the fiat. The Transit gave 28 mpg.

The proper test of the power for me was some of the Pyrenees colls that we visited this year. We took ours up the Col d'Aspin, the Coll de Tourmelet and also up to Gavernie. Considering that we were running quite heavy the van performed well and without effort.

I am not sure what height you are, I am 5'10" and I do find that my left knee is frequently in contact with the side bulkhead. It is not as comfortable in that respect as the Transit. This is not a criticism of the seats which are very comfortable.

As for the water capacity, ours can carry 140ltr and about 100 ltr waste. I always travel with an empty waste tank, but the 20 litres for driving is ridiculous. It simply allows them to boast a greater payload. If you don't use sites then this is impractical. The access point for the water tank is under one of the floor hatches. A 6 inch screw lid allows easy access (same with waste, good for cleaning purposes) but beside it is a triangular valve wheel. This has 3 positions, closed to retain all the water, 3/4 turn which will drop all but 20 litres and fully open which will completely drain the tank. The waste tank on ours has an electrically operated valve with a switch located in the garage.

Hope this gives a little insight for your consideration, though it sounds like you have nearly made up your mind.

Davy
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamRienza For This Useful Post:
jiwawa (30-10-2016)
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 09:43

Hi Jean- I have a CI 705 with a mam of 3500 KG equipped with the Ducato Multi Jet 130, 2.3 engine. I have had this van for 7 years now and regularly use it for trips abroad staying on airs and stelplazis. Sometimes I am a little overloaded but it performs well and is very economical (averages 30 mpg). This engine is perfect for your new Hymer. Good luck - go for it.

Keith

Never go anywhere unless your eyes and your brain have been there first.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sgt411 For This Useful Post:
jiwawa (30-10-2016)
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 10:36

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
I also noticed in one version of the specs: "100 litre fresh water tank with 20 litres available while in transit". Does that mean that you physically can't carry more than 20l when driving?? - as in some kind of automatic drain. Seems an odd thing to say.
The 20L on road limit is the manufacturers way of gaining additional payload. There will be a 'tap' on the fresh water supply that allows all but 20l to be drained off. You can physically carry the capacity of the water tank if you wish to but all except 20l of it will eat into the quoted 740kg payload. { Payloads are quoted in accordance with an EC directive. it used to be 90% water but has been changed to allow manufacturers to use a stated figure e.g. 20L. This becomes very important where there is a measly payload quoted as per many a new motorhome I saw at the NEC recently}.

As per the engine power my last had a 3L engine and I came down to the 2.3 130 on my current one. At first it seemed very sluggish but has improved with mileage, or perhapsI have adjusted to compensate. If it were me buying new now I would go for the 150. I suspect there will be a slight drop in perceived power for euro6 engines compared to euro5, as there was for euro5 compared to euro4.
The Following User Says Thank You to rayc For This Useful Post:
jiwawa (30-10-2016)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 14:12

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
I am with ray on this one, also having a 3.ol. I personally would go for the 150.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
The Following User Says Thank You to cabby For This Useful Post:
jiwawa (30-10-2016)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 15:06

Can I suggest that the reference to 20ltr capacity could be being mentioned as this is an amount they would recommend to be in the tank whilst travelling so that the Toilet flush would then work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dougaitken For This Useful Post:
jiwawa (30-10-2016)
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 16:38

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougaitken View Post
Can I suggest that the reference to 20ltr capacity could be being mentioned as this is an amount they would recommend to be in the tank whilst travelling so that the Toilet flush would then work.
I am not familiar with the details of this new EU regulation but maybe it specifies 20lt as the minimm for the calculation. Even if not, a Manufacturer using 0lt might be seen to be taking the p*ss.

However, if 20lt were needed for flushing - see a doctor

More seriously, if the model has a submersible pump the plastic pipes sometimes tend to bend up in the tank, so the reason for the 20lt could be to ensure that, even if so, the pump would still stay submerged.

What I find unacceptable about the pratice, even if legal, is it catches out the newcomer - the ones who most need consumer protection, because those of us who know would simple calculate the difference between 20lt and full tank and mentally deduct it from the stated payload, which we don't believe anyway

As has been said, for us wildcampers 20lt is as much use as the proverbial 'chocolate teapot'

Geoff
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholsong For This Useful Post:
jiwawa (30-10-2016)
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 17:15 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Thank you all for your input -very helpful.

My initial reaction is Id be fine with 130 then, but I do wonder about stepping up 3 places in the Euro emissions rating Im currently 3 and would be stepping to 6. I didnt realise there was a loss of power between as rayc says. But there again, if the pulling is perceived to be fine it doesnt really matter if theres a bit of a drop; I think Id soon get used to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRienza View Post
I am not sure what height you are, I am 5'10" and I do find that my left knee is frequently in contact with the side bulkhead. It is not as comfortable in that respect as the Transit.
I used to be (!) 59 and yes, when I test drove the van I found my left shin was quite tightly against the lower part of the dash. We altered the seat after coming back and I think that would be grand but I didnt actually drive it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRienza View Post
As for the water capacity, ours can carry 140ltr and about 100 ltr waste. I always travel with an empty waste tank, but the 20 litres for driving is ridiculous. It simply allows them to boast a greater payload. If you don't use sites then this is impractical. The access point for the water tank is under one of the floor hatches. A 6 inch screw lid allows easy access (same with waste, good for cleaning purposes) but beside it is a triangular valve wheel. This has 3 positions, closed to retain all the water, 3/4 turn which will drop all but 20 litres and fully open which will completely drain the tank. The waste tank on ours has an electrically operated valve with a switch located in the garage.

Hope this gives a little insight for your consideration, though it sounds like you have nearly made up your mind.

Davy
That is very good to know Davy just a pity they didnt have the facility to go three-quarters or half-full as that would be sufficient for me most times we once made a full tank (90l) last nearly a fortnight off-grid!

Re the 20l for flushing Im a spray-bottle person myself; the toilet cassette lasts much longer that way!

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page