EGR VALVE on ducato 2.2 and chipping - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 17-07-2016, 16:04 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
powerplus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: berkshire
My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
Posts: 1,297
Thanks: 11
Thanked 132 Times in 126 Posts
EGR VALVE on ducato 2.2 and chipping

hi

has anyone had there egr valve blanked off if so did it make any difference

my egr valve has started squeaking but we have disconnected the plug and
we went for a 30 mile run including motorway and the light has not come on

as the van runs well and pulls good for a small engine im wandering if the van has been chipped by the previous owner especially as the warning light has not come on which i thought should unless it will take a while to come on

thoughts please

barry
powerplus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-07-2016, 07:51
Senior Member
 
Pudsey_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Keighley, Still in Gods County.
My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Posts: 41,975
Thanks: 1,645
Thanked 1,122 Times in 1,058 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Bumped as it's interesting
Pudsey_Bear is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-07-2016, 08:26 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
powerplus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: berkshire
My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
Posts: 1,297
Thanks: 11
Thanked 132 Times in 126 Posts
thanks kev

my egr valve has started to squeak but is working fine
i did test it by disconnecting it and i kan tell that the valve is shut as far as possible as it does take quite a time to get hot where when connected it gets hot a lot quicker

i was worried and was advised that the engine warning light would come on but after driving around 30 miles it has not so far

so will phone a mapping company that also disables the warning light for egr valves for advice

the van is the 2.2 version and i am surprised that it does go well considering it is around 3.7t fully loaded

to be continued

barry
powerplus is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-07-2016, 07:09 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
powerplus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: berkshire
My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
Posts: 1,297
Thanks: 11
Thanked 132 Times in 126 Posts
a quick update

i decided to look and see what holds the front grill on on the x250 amd it is just a load of star screws so i removed them and the grill was off

i then removed the bonnet cross member 6 6mm screws and the egr valve was right there with east access

so i removed the egr valve and it was nice and clean inside

the electrical cover is held on with some tabs which were easy to release and remove it gave access to some gears
which i gave a light coating of moly grease including the bushes

put back together and onto the van

bingo nice and quiet

so this morning it will be back off and a blanking plate with a small hole installed

regarding blanking plates i found that alfa romeo supply one for some cars as a genuine part it has some small holes in it
this is to make it run better and remove a flat spot


i have since heard that someone with the same engine as mine removed the electrical plug 20,000mls ago and no light came on


barry
BillCreer and BillCreer like this.
powerplus is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-07-2016, 15:31
Senior Member
 
Pudsey_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Keighley, Still in Gods County.
My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Posts: 41,975
Thanks: 1,645
Thanked 1,122 Times in 1,058 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplus View Post
a quick update

i decided to look and see what holds the front grill on on the x250 amd it is just a load of star screws so i removed them and the grill was off

i then removed the bonnet cross member 6 6mm screws and the egr valve was right there with east access

so i removed the egr valve and it was nice and clean inside

the electrical cover is held on with some tabs which were easy to release and remove it gave access to some gears
which i gave a light coating of moly grease including the bushes

put back together and onto the van

bingo nice and quiet

so this morning it will be back off and a blanking plate with a small hole installed

regarding blanking plates i found that alfa romeo supply one for some cars as a genuine part it has some small holes in it
this is to make it run better and remove a flat spot


i have since heard that someone with the same engine as mine removed the electrical plug 20,000mls ago and no light came on


barry

You're lucky those grill screws can go rusty and lock up in the captive nuts and spin, making replacement a real cow of a job.
Pudsey_Bear is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-07-2016, 15:42 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
powerplus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: berkshire
My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
Posts: 1,297
Thanks: 11
Thanked 132 Times in 126 Posts
hi kev

yes some of the screws were a bit tight but plenty of grease on assembly

the 2 plastic screws that hold the grill on at the bottom were knackered so had to break them local fiat dont stock them and say come in a pack of 20

the egr valve stripped a thread so had to helicoil the 2 8mm threads

all back together now with a blanking plate with a 8mm hole

barry
powerplus is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-07-2016, 16:25
Senior Member
 
Pudsey_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Keighley, Still in Gods County.
My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Posts: 41,975
Thanks: 1,645
Thanked 1,122 Times in 1,058 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplus View Post
hi kev

yes some of the screws were a bit tight but plenty of grease on assembly

the 2 plastic screws that hold the grill on at the bottom were knackered so had to break them local fiat dont stock them and say come in a pack of 20

the egr valve stripped a thread so had to helicoil the 2 8mm threads

all back together now with a blanking plate with a 8mm hole

barry
I love Helicoils, what a cracking bit of kit the are, had to put a couple in the head of a Beamish Suzuki once.
Pudsey_Bear is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-07-2016, 17:31 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
powerplus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: berkshire
My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
Posts: 1,297
Thanks: 11
Thanked 132 Times in 126 Posts
hi kev

im coming up to leeds next month for about 5 days

staying at a nice campsite near the airport they also have some nice little lakes for fishing

barry
powerplus is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-07-2016, 18:44
Senior Member
 
Pudsey_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Keighley, Still in Gods County.
My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Posts: 41,975
Thanks: 1,645
Thanked 1,122 Times in 1,058 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplus View Post
hi kev

im coming up to leeds next month for about 5 days

staying at a nice campsite near the airport they also have some nice little lakes for fishing

barry
I don't respond to threats.
Pudsey_Bear is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-07-2016, 19:19
Senior Member
 
safariboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,527
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Removing the EGR valve should increase your NOX emissions, which is not a good thing and lead to an MOT fail. Whether it will or not I could not say. Is it one of those things that only works when the van is being tested?

safariboy
safariboy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome