Fuel consumption variations - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 17-07-2016, 23:20 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspode View Post
I absolutely agree with all those points, but my observation on the wind was added for the simple reason that M/H drivers don't always realise if they have a strong head or tail wind. Because of this they'll travel a set route twice, using the same driving style at the same speed and wonder why they used a lot more fuel on one of the journeys. This is very often due to variations in the wind direction and speed and may provide an answer to the O/P question.

But let's face it, MPG is a minor consideration, you might as well spend the cash while you've got it. The kids will only crash it on a new BMW or something similar when you pop your clogs.
That makes a lot of sense - prevailing wind is normally SW, so going to the tunnel it's cross-ish. But in France & Spain more likely to be driving into the wind (assuming prevailing wind is SW there?)

But would you not then expect to generally have tail winds on way back? (I quite accept prevailing wind doesn't mean it's always that direction.). And our mpg goes down (slowly) rather than up on way back...

I quite agree that mpg is not be all & end all, though - I'm just puzzled at variation.

Bailey Approach 740

And I can't wait to get on the road again.
GoinŽ places that IŽve never been.
SeeinŽ things that I may never see again
(Willie Nelson)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 18-07-2016, 06:47

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,103 Times in 1,040 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I haven't actually done a proper check on the last 2 vans we've had, too depressing really, and I'm more concerned with the overall cost and how many miles I get from a full tank, I drive at a sensible speed 50-60 dependant on conditions, no hard acceleration, and avoid braking at all if poss, anticipate the traffic lights etc, stay in a high gear as long as possible but avoid labouring the engine, clutch and gearbox.

I try to get 400 ish from a full tank in the van, 600+ in the car, sometimes I get a bit more, sometimes less.

http://www.ecodrive.org/en/what_is_e...of_ecodriving/
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 18-07-2016, 12:37

My Motorhome: Autotrail Cherokee 2011
Personal Aire
Send a message via Skype™ to Robell
I use Road Trip LE on my phone (free part of the app) to keep tabs on the fuel used and mileage readings. It then shows me graphs of average mpg and fuel consumption. The mpg varies a lot on each trip, but the average value is not that far from what the computer in the van says.

Rob

Still a student of life

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 18-07-2016, 12:55

My Motorhome: Knaus Skywave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solwaybuggier View Post
I don't trust them - but not sure why they would be more inaccurate in one country than another!
It's those European miles/gallon innit, inferior to the good honest British miles/gallon

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, understanding is not putting it in a fruit salad
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 18-07-2016, 12:58

My Motorhome: Knaus Skywave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grath View Post
I never even bother looking at the computer readings, the only way is brim to brim.
Driving styles considerably alter the mpg, rushing away from traffic lights, heavy braking, stop start. I always try to drive smoothly and try to keep the wheels moving, I hate having to stop at traffic lights!
Speed, gear changing, motorways or national roads all contribute, along with hills, or just moving the van a few times to go to the borne, and weight!
Just drive as smooth as you can!
While I use the instantaneous reading to verify what I'm doing as a guide, I drive exactly as you describe. Additionally on long rolling hills, I'll accelerate on the downhill and maintain on the ups.
113016 and 113016 like this.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, understanding is not putting it in a fruit salad
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 18-07-2016, 13:50

Can't understand the confusion here. You've only got to look at a map.

Going South is bound to use less fuel - it's downhill.

Dave
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 18-07-2016, 21:33

My Motorhome: Burstner A747
I use the Eco app on the Garmin sat nav. Set it up with the details of the MH ie avg fuel consumption around towns & motorways. When I stop to refuel I check how many ltrs the Garmin says I should need and find its very accurate. This also tells me my mpg.

Frank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page