Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat - View Single Post - E25 into Basel from France

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 19:26
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kent
My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 630
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 21
Thanked 42 Times in 35 Posts
Here is the official and easy to understand info on the Swiss road tolls.

Swiss Road Tolls

Most, if not all, Swiss main roads are toll roads, and it is difficult and not really worth trying to plan an itinerary to avoid them. You will need to pay the toll charges before entering the country.

For vehicles up to and including 3500 GVW.

Applicable to Swiss first and second class roads, which includes motorways.

The charge is a single payment of CHF40.00 which is valid from the 1st December of the year previous to that shown on the vignette through to the 31 January following the year shown on the vignette.

Proof of payment is by a 'vignette' (windscreen sticker) which is stuck to the inside of your windscreen. Payment and receipt of the vignette are carried out by personel as you drive through the Swiss border control. If you prefer you can buy the vignette from garages approaching the border or from the Swiss Tourist Board online. If you are towing a caravan you need to purchase a second vignette.

For vehicles over 3500 GVW - the vignette system does not apply. This charge is not a toll but a general heavy vehicle tax and applies to all Swiss roads.

You will be asked to park up at the border control and take your V5 vehicle documents to the adjoining customs office. Here you fill in a simple declaration form (permit 15.91) stating how long the vehicle will be in Switzerland, used on the roads or not, and you will be charged on that basis. You will get a duplicate copy of the form back as a receipt.

The charges are;
´┐╝´┐╝´┐╝´┐╝´┐╝Per Day (subject to a minimum of CHF 25.00) CHF 3.25
Per 10 Days CHF 32.50
Per Month CHF 58.50
Per Year CHF 650.00

If you are towing a trailer there is an extra charge, typically of CHF 0.10 - per 100kg - per day.

The 10 day permit above allowes you to freely choose your days of travel before entering Switzerland. It is aimed at people making frequent visits, so as to avoid them keep having to report to the border customs office.

If you want to extend your visit over the stated time you take your duplicate copy to the nearest main post office and pay for a further period.

Unmanned Border Crossings. It is illegal to drive into Switzerland via an unmanned border crossing without a proof of payment (permit 15.91). Drivers arriving at such crossings are required to telephone the Swiss customs who will authorise their entry to proceed directly to a designated payment point, usually a post office.

ob1 is offline  
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome