Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Shingles

2K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Pudsey_Bear 
#1 ·
I was thinking of getting the jab and wondered how many of you had had the vaccine, what it was like, after effects etc.

Reactions: patp
#3 ·
Had it last year with the pneumonia jab. The Doc asked if I would like them. Also didn't feel a thing. After effects included feeling 20 years younger and more viral :wink2:, my hair growing back and I was able to run faster and longer, other than that nothing to fear.

#4 ·
Must be better than getting Shingles. My wife suffered for 6 weeks and still has itchy red blotches.

Ray.

#9 · (Edited)
I hope you´re all getting 2 jabs.

What Everyone Should Know about the Shingles Vaccine (Shingrix)
Shingles vaccination is the only way to protect against shingles and postherpetic neuralgia (PHN), the most common complication from shingles. CDC recommends that healthy adults 50 years and older get two doses of the shingles vaccine called Shingrix (recombinant zoster vaccine), separated by 2 to 6 months, to prevent shingles and the complications from the disease. Your doctor or pharmacist can give you Shingrix as a shot in your upper arm.
Read more here.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/shingrix/index.html

#12 ·
Not the same over here Jan.

Taken from NHS website -

There are 2 shingles vaccines used in the UK:

Zostavax, a live vaccine given as 1 dose
Shingrix, a non-live vaccine given as 2 doses, 2 months apart
Most people will have the Zostavax vaccine. The Shingrix vaccine is recommended if Zostavax is not suitable for you, for example if you have a condition that affects your immune system.

#14 ·
I didn't know there was a vaccine for it. I had a mild case at the end of my 4.5 months over there in 2019 in my Hymer. Very uncomfortable. No reoccurrence since then. Luckily I happened to have the correct medication on me and got some more in Switzerland from a pharmacy without having to see a doc (mind you that cost about £50) so it only lasted a month or two. I convinced them Dr Google had correctly diagnosed it.

If you have the option to get a vaccine I would.

#16 · (Edited)
The following is from the NHS web based information

"You cannot catch shingles from someone with chickenpox.

You can catch chickenpox from someone with shingles if you have not had chickenpox before.

When you get chickenpox, the virus stays in your body. The virus can be triggered again if your immune system is weak. This causes shingles.

This can happen because of stress, certain conditions, or treatments like chemotherapy."

I seem to remember reading somewhere years ago that the virus stays in your Spinal chord but I may be wrong

#19 ·
Yes you can have it more than once although it is likely to return as Shingles. Also be aware that they don't say that the Shingle Jab will stop you getting it but is done to try and reduce the severity of Shingles should you go down with it. Having seen a friend aged about 70 have it affecting his eyes. I was glad I did not live next door so could not hear his screams.

#25 ·
Not long then eh :D :D

Reactions: patp and GMJ
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.