Oversubscribing of medicines must stop, says government - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

15Likes
  • 2 Post By rayc
  • 3 Post By raynipper
  • 3 Post By Glandwr
  • 2 Post By dghr272
  • 1 Post By Pudsey_Bear
  • 3 Post By raynipper
  • 1 Post By patp

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-09-2021, 08:08 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Oversubscribing of medicines must stop, says government

I found this BBC article interesting.

"around 6.5% of hospital admissions are caused by adverse effects of medicines. This rises to up to 20% in the over-65 age group."
Is this statement true in most peoples experience?
"GPs will only ever prescribe medication to patients in conversation with them, and after a frank discussion about the risks and benefits of the treatment - and when alternative options have been explored."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58639253
patp and raynipper like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-09-2021, 08:35

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
We don't know the answers but try this and come back if you have any trouble.

Ray.
erneboy, patp and Penquin like this.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-09-2021, 09:18

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Repeat prescriptions without reassessment make up for much of this medicine taking. That is what needs to be tackled, not the initial prescription. Says he who how meekly opens up his pill dispenser night and morning.
patp, Penquin and raynipper like this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-09-2021, 09:59

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
I fear it’s all part of a bigger plan and perhaps it’s the time they ‘come for the GPs’ we’ve all seen it in the press too.

Be prepared for smartly worded HMG statements about reviewing the system for a better service, this will gain traction due to Covid issues but you can be assured it’ll potentially all point to privatisation as quite a few in HMG have previously commented via their Tufton Street connections that it’s an option.

Oh yes, don’t forget there’ll be a pound or two in it for their backers and they’ll be fine because they can afford private healthcare.

Another Project Fear ??? Well they sleep walked a sizeable number into Brexit and look where that’s got us.

Terry
Penquin and raynipper like this.

BREXIT built on deceit delivered by liars

The people who passed off a pair of gloves as *two* items of PPE may not be entirely honest.

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Last edited by dghr272; 22-09-2021 at 10:17.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-09-2021, 15:24

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,126 Times in 1,062 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Had a similar conversation with my doc only this morning, I have a seriously bad memory and my meds keep changing to the point I am unsure what to take and when sometimes, I have asked why any meds that I do not require are not removed from my repeat list, too complicated I am told, I also asked why my records which I have access to online do not allow me to do it or at least have access to the doctors notes so I can double check for myself, not allowed it seems.

I initially went due to stomach pain I thought it might be due to taking Aspirin, Statins and a blood pressure med, online they say not a good idea, Doc said it's normal, but still booked me in for all kinds of tests including a full BBC camera crew.

I used to have faith, but now I'm not so sure, but we have no alternative.
patp likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-09-2021, 15:40

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
When ever we go to the pharmacy for a repeat or maybe a new prescription, we hand over out Carte Vitale or health card and it's poked into their terminal. I guess it shows the pharmacist our treatment and whats been prescribed. It also indicates what's free and whats chargeable and the end date of current prescriptions.

So next week I have to drop in on my new doc to do an introduction while he again pops the Carte Vitale into his terminal and ask for another 12 month prescription for bp tabs. Plus I guess he gets a copy of all my recent scan results.

Ray.
patp, Penquin and Pudsey_Bear like this.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-09-2021, 18:44

My current doctor is sh*t hot on removing any medication that is not required from your "repeat" list. I am very careful what I tell him now. I told him that I had stopped taking my zinc and he promptly removed it only to have to reinstate it when the bloods came back that my levels had dropped again
My late mother's doctor, on the other hand, let her order, every four weeks, about four or five things that she did not need and did not take! I returned a black bin bag of unused drugs to them after she died.

As to adverse reactions - it is almost impossible to tell who will react and who will not so I'm not sure what is behind that thinking?
raynipper likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page