Asbestosis - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 18:31 Thread Starter

Asbestosis

Anyone been diagnosed?

Chris has just had the "official" diagnosis from a consultant. He has remained breathless after his triple heart bypass and was referred for further investigations. The consultant agreed with previous comments about plaques on his lungs being due to asbestos exposure (he was a plumber/heating engineer but also worked on cars with asbestos lined brakes).
The consultant gave us information about the government compensation scheme. We knew there was a scheme but thought that you had to be much sicker to qualify. Apparently it is best to register for compensation within three years of an official diagnosis. If this is not done and the plaques turn into mesothelioma the patient has lost their chance of significant compensation. The consultant put us in touch with a nurse who coordinates with various bodies that will help. We have set the wheels in motion so that, should the worst happen, we are prepared. Not that compensation is wanted if good health was the alternative but we have to be realistic. I remember Mavis saying that she wanted the compensation to be put towards research for a cure. I couldn't agree more.

We have engaged a solicitor, recommended by the nurse, who works on these cases all the time. One obstacle that we thought insurmountable, was finding all the past employers but the solicitor explained that they request all the National Insurance details so that the employers can be traced. It is the insurance industry that pays on their behalf. Chris worked for so many different employers that it was too daunting for him to contemplate.
raynipper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 18:52

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Sorry to hear that Pat. Few of us paid any attention to the warnings. And if we're honest it wasn't discovered till we'd done the damage.
patp and raynipper like this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 18:59

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yes all through the 50s and 60s we just used and brushed up against asbestos. Look at all those garages. Cookers were lined with it and I repaired them.

Ray.
patp likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 19:06

OK politics have gone beyond silly. https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opi...-38835785.html

Where's Victor Meldrew when I need him?

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 20:31

When NCB closed the pit in our Durham village unemployment went through the roof: I cannot recall any other employers except the Esso garage, the cinema, 6 shops plus 3 pubs and, of course, the Working Mens Club.

"Fortunately" the Government stepped in and promoted Henderson Garage Doors and Cape Asbestos to provide opportunities at new factories.

I was "lucky" enough to work in the Quality Control laboratories for CA: every morning I had to collect handfuls of asbestos fibres, weigh them then find their volume by submerging them in a mercury bath (bare hands!); separate asbestos cement into 10 different grades using a filter tower; break newly-made roofing sheets to ensure that they complied with British Standards! I remember unloading a truck full of asbestos fibres by hand because the mechanised system had broken: we had some tremendous "snowball" fights and walked home caked in white.

Every time I get a serious cough the doc sends me for an Xray: so far so good.

Best wishes Pat.

Gordon
patp likes this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
OK politics have gone beyond silly. https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opi...-38835785.html

Where's Victor Meldrew when I need him?
Sorry. Wrong thread. For he last two days I've had only the mobile view and constant requests to log in. It's a pain in the arse. Feck knows how this post ended up on this thread. It'd be hard to think of a less appropriate place for it. Sorry.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 20:34

Hi patp

Sorry to hear your news about Chris. I wish you all the best.

The only comment I would add is that we had a friend who was diagnosed with a similar problem and there was a scheme they could apply too. The one thing I recall was that they had to submit their details within 12 months of diagnosis.

Doug
patp likes this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 21:26

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
Sorry. Wrong thread. For he last two days I've had only the mobile view and constant requests to log in. It's a pain in the arse. Feck knows how this post ended up on this thread. It'd be hard to think of a less appropriate place for it. Sorry.
I gave up trying to reply using the phone. It's PC or nothing.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 21:35

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
That's not good news Pat, but good that you seem to have good support.

Thinking about you both.
patp likes this.

Jean
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 22:21

My Motorhome: Swift KonTiki 669
Personal Aire
So sorry to hear this bad news, unfortunately I lost my father to Mesothelioma at the age of 63, they only diagnosed his condition 4 months before his death although the contact with asbestos happened more than 25 years before and he had been quite poorly with a range of undiagnosed health issues for a couple of years, they even suggested at one point that his health problems were psychosomatic which was really hard for him to bear. He was a bricklayer in Port Talbot steelworks, his job was to reline the blast furnaces with bricks and they would put brown asbestos between brick and furnace wall, they were never offered protection even though the dangers were known at the time.

We were not able to claim compensation as we were not dependants at the time of his death

I'm not sure I can offer you any help but genuinely hope that Chris doesn't develop worse symptoms and that they can offer better options with an early diagnosis
patp likes this.

Before you criticise someone walk a mile in their shoes, that way you are a mile away and have their shoes too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page