Asbestosis - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 10:43 Thread Starter

Thanks for the supportive comments. Chris is fairly sanguine about the whole thing (well that is his outward appearance). It only really affects him if he gets a chest infection or if the weather is cold or a climb up a steep hill coincides with the former two. His day to day life is fine.

The consultant at the Norfolk and Norwich was excellent. Very thorough and took lots of time with him. She used to work at St George's in London so we are lucky to have her. Mind you she was not impressed when he said he used to be a smoker and started when he was nine years old behind the bike sheds at school. He has been a non smoker for about fifteen years now.

We are applying for the Government scheme just for the very reason of the one year time limit put upon it from diagnosis. It seems a bit of a harsh limitation. At least the medics are aware and give you the warning.

I always think of poor Mavis who did not work in the asbestos industry but just washed her husbands asbestos contaminated clothes He worked in the shipbuilding industry and was fine but she was not. That is where the genetic element comes in a think.

Let's hope, for your sake Gordon, that the gene theory is correct and that you do not have the bad gene! You were a very naughty boy playing snowballs.
H1-GBV likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 11:07
xgx

My Motorhome: I drive...
One remarkable story

https://rayandmave.wordpress.com/
H1-GBV and patp like this.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 11:28

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Mavis is still around and still active, it may well be worth getting in touch with her for advice of whonto se and where to go, she was given a very short diagnosis years ago and after a variety of different, often experimental, treatments has extended that "months" into many years.

She is an acknowledged expert and has been able to talk to Ministers, Parliamentary Committees and even concerned people in the US.

She has written a book (don't have the details here) which is well worth reading. I see it is in the post above so wise men think alike comes to mind ! 🤣

PM me is you need contact details for her.

Best wishes to all involved as the family will also have to become aware of what can be done to make life better.

Sorry, this sounds a very negative post, which it should not, Mavis is an inspiration and is also a motorhomer so scores on two fronts !

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Last edited by Penquin; 08-01-2020 at 12:04.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
The consultant at the Norfolk and Norwich was excellent. Very thorough and took lots of time with him. She used to work at St George's in London so we are lucky to have her.
Pat

Please don't take this the wrong way: I hope that with care and good luck, Chris and you can have many happy years ahead. Look at those references to Mavis!

Last year my daughter's FiL died in NNUH of pneumonia. They initially recorded it as "from contacts in the community" owtte. Her husband was in contact immediately with a female consultant (same one?) who insisted that it be changed to "asbestos related" because that then has implications for the Coroner and statistics, to say nothing of potential financial support.

My thoughts are with you - Gordon

PS I think "young and naive" rather than naughty!
patp and Penquin like this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 12:40 Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Penquin;3068737]Mavis is still around and still active, it may well be worth getting in touch with her for advice of whonto se and where to go, she was given a very short diagnosis years ago and after a variety of different, often experimental, treatments has extended that "months" into many years.

She is an acknowledged expert and has been able to talk to Ministers, Parliamentary Committees and even concerned people in the US.

She has written a book (don't have the details here) which is well worth reading. I see it is in the post above so wise men think alike comes to mind ! 🤣

PM me is you need contact details for her.

Best wishes to all involved as the family will also have to become aware of what can be done to make life better.

Thank you! Mavis and I used to be in touch. I helped her with doggy related problems. I think, from reading quickly through her blog that Lou, the dog, is still around? I would like to be in touch again. Such a brave and strong woman!!! She lives not too far from my daughter so maybe a little visit might be in order?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 12:52 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1-GBV View Post
Pat

Please don't take this the wrong way: I hope that with care and good luck, Chris and you can have many happy years ahead. Look at those references to Mavis!

Last year my daughter's FiL died in NNUH of pneumonia. They initially recorded it as "from contacts in the community" owtte. Her husband was in contact immediately with a female consultant (same one?) who insisted that it be changed to "asbestos related" because that then has implications for the Coroner and statistics, to say nothing of potential financial support.

My thoughts are with you - Gordon

PS I think "young and naive" rather than naughty!
The consultant might well be the same one. It seems too much of a coincidence. I wonder if Chris was put under her care as it was known that he had "plaques" on his lungs and that he had worked with asbestos? She was very insistent that we take up the case with the Government. I suppose the more people claiming the more they will sit up and take notice!

Chris had pneumonia in 2013 not long after his heart attack. I look back now and think how lucky we were that we got on top of that when we did. I had to work hard to get his heart attack treatment sorted due to it being "out of area" in the "National" Health Service. They cannot, efficiently transfer records from one hospital to another! We met a guy in Addenbrooks who carries a huge briefcase around with him containing all his medical notes. He notes down every single blood test and drug and treatment that touches his body. He must have had a very bad experience somewhere along the line.

You might have been young and naive Gordon but Chris can be very old and naive at times! Or should I say reckless
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 13:20

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Luckily we are given all our medical results to guard ourselves here in France. X-Rays, scans and blood tests.

Ray.
patp likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 20:56

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Sadden by your news Pat

Will it all be fine?

Well maybe girl

A fellow sharer of bad news who just waits and hopes , 6 mounts to the next , and in between

And a bit of recklessness could be a good thing

Sandra
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 08:20 Thread Starter

I am not sure Chris's heart surgeon would agree about recklessness. His face blanched when Chris told him he was paving a path to the house while awaiting a triple heart bypass! It did not look much better when Chris assured him he was only carrying a few bricks at a time.

Asbestosis is not a death sentence on its own unless there are other contributing factors. Many people live and die with it. It is whether it changes into mesothelioma that is the thing that has to be watched. The consultant is going to see him every six months so that is comforting.
H1-GBV and Penquin like this.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 10:05

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Meanwhile, try to put the shadow behind you and enjoy life without constant thought "What if ?"

As Marjorie Pay Hinckley reportedly said;

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but to skid in broadside, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW ! What a ride !

Every 6 months IS a good indication that the route forward is long......

As regards doing possibly non sensible things after surgery..... I has broken my hip and had a pin and plate inserted, after a year's recovery I was told to "live life normally" so I rebuilt a stone wall with stones which I could barely lift - well over 50kg....

I started to get hip pain and when xrayed they found that I had bent the pin..... it had to come out which was a problem as the screws were bent and would not turn.....

But it came out and I went back to normal life, still aware that I favour that hip for no reason, but skiing, cycling etc all happen....

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Last edited by Penquin; 09-01-2020 at 10:09.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page