Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Melonoma news

11K views 217 replies 23 participants last post by  barryd 
#1 ·
Hi Y'all.
Just a quickie update.
Today just as we were about to go off to our reserved 5* anniversary lunch for 55 years. We get a call from the dermo doc to visit asap. So an hour later we are in her surgery.

Apparently as the melanoma is cancerous we need to have a PET scan before surgery to check the spread. Our details have been sent to the cancer hospital at Caen and we now await the call or rendezvous to attend.
It's only after the scan we can undergo surgery and 2cm of flesh removed all round the scars on my leg.

So again it's a waiting game till the next appointment. Have cancelled the Portugal trip and notified our landlady of the problem and await her decisions about charges.

Ray.

#3 ·
Things are happening rapidly here Alan. Only six days since first visit to dermo doc and now await next move.

Ray.

Reactions: erneboy
#4 ·
Not the best of news then.

Rest assured my thoughts (and those of many others I am sure) are with you and Pru at this time.

Positive attitude mon brave, positive attitude !!!!!

Andy

Reactions: raynipper
#6 ·
B0llocks Ray, hope it gets sorted.

Terry

#7 ·
Well

Actually Ray

Me and Albert are your best info

Over five years, countless metastasis is removed

Deep cuts , he’s had 7 or eight in his arm

All lymph nodes removed in that arm

Huge lymphedema,

Which is now reversing , his body has decided to reverse it , so now he spends ages under a scan to monitor new pathways for research as it doesn’t happen

Well now it does

His melonoma was so deep they weren't sure it was worth treating his prostate cancer

As he certainly wasn’t going to survive it

But he’s still here

And has just sorted out bowel cancer

So Ray

2cm of flesh around

It’s peanuts babe

Alberts has that 5 or six times repeated on his arm, and it works ok

You will be fine

What’s two cm between life and death

Chin up, best foot forward

Lots of love

Sandra

#8 ·
Thanks all ya guys.
Yes the French service has been very rapid so far and I'm feeling up beat. I can bear a hole in my leg and lots of appointments. It's only finding the various departments that are concerning me.??
I'm happy to be in their hands and the dermo doc is not only pretty but fills me with confidence.

Ray.

#10 ·
Hi Ray, Really sorry to hear of your problem.
At least you are getting quick response and good care.

My wife had a Melanoma 15 years ago just before we moved here treated in UK, it was also on her leg.
The medics had to have two attempts to clear it and she ended up losing a bit more than 2 cm but they got all of it and after skin graft apart from the scar which we call her shark bite nothing to show for it.

Interestingly, here they still monitor her with a thorough total body examination, now every year but up until a couple of years ago it was every 6 months, whereas in the UK they were happy to monitor initially and then effectively just said OK your fixed now off you go.

#11 ·
That’s super unlucky timing, Ray - but good news that it sounds as if everything possible is being done to bring about the required interventions quickly. I hope for a speedy and successful outcome for you.

Regards,
John

#12 ·
Been there, done that as Sandra is well aware, it must be 18 years ago now and I still have not seen the scar across my back where they took it out twice.... initially 2cm then 5 which stretched the skin tight to say the least, so it all burst open the following night....

Also had "sentinel lymph node removal" after radio-techniceum examination - that gave me a second scar under my armpit but gave them some lymph node tissue to examine....

Fortunately unlike Albert's mine had not metastasised and so after frequent and repeated checkups over the next 5 years I was declared clear, after strong warnings about the importance yo get any changes checked rapidly.

I was lucky, the odd mole was picked up by my wife, who reported it to my GP who took one look and dclared all OK, THEN two years later it was raised again by my tame (?) nurse who would not take no for answer...... that resulted in the referral and start of the next multi year checks...

So, the outcome can be good you are in very good hands, although the "hands on" checks by the nurse over the next five years with the manhandling of bits of me that are normally not checked by anyone other than my tame nurse.......

So there are mixed feelings about the whole process, but the outcome was good.....

#15 ·
Oi Jean. The clue to a long marriage is one half always having the last words. "Yes dear" seems to be them.

Thanks for the info Sandra, Dave an all. I just hope it is early days and can be treated asap. I was feeling pretty invincible at 78 and only been in hospital 20 years ago for hernia opp and 70 years ago for tonsils'. Listening and reading about many friends ailments and treatments made me feel happy and healthy up to now.

But now i'm in the 'system' and so far the treatment has been good and rapid I can only hope for the best. There are always those far worse off than me.
Have finally cancelled all this winters vacation in Portugal as the apartment owner will need to re-let if possible. So Jan and Barry we can look forward to winter 2020 and start planning.

Ray.

#17 ·
Sending hugs and positive thoughts your way. It is good that you are "in the system". Just heard of a local lady's death from bone cancer following successful (?) treatment for breast cancer four years ago. She kept reporting pain in her shoulder and being given pain relief etc. Only when her arm broke being helped out of bed did things become apparent. Us oldies must learn to shout out loud when we are worried and make the over stretched health service take notice.

Happy Anniversary to you and Pru!

#18 ·
Thanks Pat and Barry.
Blue skies here at the moment so not all bad. Gonna have trouble fitting the 55th. celebration in now as more invites both sides of the Christmas goings on.
I tried to escape from it all but seems we are being sucked back in.

Ray.

Reactions: patp
#21 ·
Brings back lots of comic memories of my 'youth' John. It was quite an adventurous time for kids then. Growing up in a tenement in Surbiton Park Terrace was a fun time.
I seem to remember you were near Kings Keep?

Ray.

Reactions: HurricaneSmith
#22 ·
Very close Ray. My parents lived in Princes Avenue, Tolworth. Kingsmead was just around the corner.

Yes, ours was a fabulous area to be raised, with so much going on.

I currently belong to a walking group in East Sussex, and it turns out that one of them was born the same day and a few feet from me in Kingston Hospital. We were later in the same class. He looks so much older these days. 🤔 😁

#23 ·
Ha ha yes they all look so much older don't they?
My school chum born a month earlier across the road from me went off to Kingston Grammar and a career in California. But we still keep in touch and visit. But now I don't want to fly any more it's Skype that most contact is made now.

Ray.

Reactions: HurricaneSmith
#25 ·
Sorry to hear your news, sound like they're going to get it sorted quickly.
Best wishes Nick
Yes thats what I thought up till today Nick. Just been informed one of the two scanners is 'down' and it might be Jan.13th. before I get seen now.

Ray.

#29 ·
This Christmas lark is a big enough diversion Pat. I now cringe at everything Christmas as you just can't escape. Yes I'm a right humbug but always have been. I can see the folly of the whole 3 months build up to high street profits and landfill.
All progs on TV for weeks have been old dug up Christmas repeats and indoctrination. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ray.

Reactions: Penquin
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.