Life of a battery - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 26-03-2013, 22:51

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
These look good ......................................

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2810669794...84.m1423.l2649

Wadyafink eh?
I will be needing 3 before too long.£££££

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 26-03-2013, 23:51

Just replaced my 10 year old leisure battery with one of these http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-CXV30HRMF-P3673.html. Hopefully it will last just as long

martin
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 26-03-2013, 23:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper
These look good ......................................

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2810669794...84.m1423.l2649

Wadyafink eh?
I will be needing 3 before too long.£££££

Ray.
They look good to me at a good price too.

Patrick

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 27-03-2013, 10:17

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
The single most important thing with any Lead-Acid battery is to keep it charged up.

No other single thing affects the life of a battery than this, even allowing for the cyclic life, which is normally far higher that the 150 cycles previously quoted, but batteries do vary with quality.

I've never seen cyclic life reached on most batteries, only industrially on some AGV's in a factory that went and had a recharge as soon as the on-board computer saw the capacity below a certain level, and at £9000 a battery, they were not cheap.

Batteries are far better these days, most people see 7-10 years out of starter batteries on cars, and as we have seen from the responses above, these sort of figures are getting to be quite common.

Peter
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 27-03-2013, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel
The single most important thing with any Lead-Acid battery is to keep it charged up.

No other single thing affects the life of a battery than this, even allowing for the cyclic life, which is normally far higher that the 150 cycles previously quoted, but batteries do vary with quality.

I've never seen cyclic life reached on most batteries, only industrially on some AGV's in a factory that went and had a recharge as soon as the on-board computer saw the capacity below a certain level, and at £9000 a battery, they were not cheap.

Batteries are far better these days, most people see 7-10 years out of starter batteries on cars, and as we have seen from the responses above, these sort of figures are getting to be quite common.

Peter
The point I was trying to make is that there are some household names that produce batteries with cycles in the sub 200 mark but they don't usually make that fact clear. So if you don't see the cycles quoted it is wise to assume less than 200 which is not good enough for leisure use for many of us.
We are full-timers. If we are off grid and static for a week we rely on the solar panels to provide charge (480w). If we take three quarters of capacity overnight we are usually back at full by midday but we will use 5 cycles. That is 30 weeks in a 150 cycle battery. Given that when on hookup we use the batteries as a buffer to the mains, we still use 2 cycles a week.

Varta are a well respected maker, I would have thought. They push their LFS range for motorhomes and this is from their spec sheet:
Long lasting: up to twice the cyclic stability of conventional flooded batteries (up to 200 cycles @ 50% DOD)
that is UP TO 100 cycles! The LFS range is popular with OEMs too...

I do agree that keeping topped up is good but the nature of our activities doesn't really lend itself to do that.

Patrick
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 27-03-2013, 11:38

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
No criticism intended, Patrick, we don't see any of these low-cycle batteries, but we wouldn't look for them in our market either.

Peter
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 27-03-2013, 12:15

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
these do seem to fit the bill to replace leisure batteries.

cabby

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-110AH-...item2ec7286031
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 22:15

I'm lucky. If I rotate my from seat and then slide it fully back the cubby hole under the seat is almost fully exposed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page