4Likes
  • 2 Post By peribro
  • 1 Post By Webby1
  • 1 Post By peribro

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 23:37 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
MHF blocked in Egypt!

I suspect this is unlikely to bother many people but I'm presently in Egypt and only able to access MHF by using a VPN. Without the VPN I get a red banner appearing that says Access Forbidden.

I'm aware that the Egyptian authorities are trying to block sites that are encouraging civil unrest but I doubt that MHF is one of those! The hotel appears to be blocking my preferred PPTP method for accessing my home VPN server so instead I am using OpenVPN, so it may be something the hotel is doing. Alternatively MHF may have decided not to allow Egyptians to access it's site?!

For what it's worth I can access most other sites without the VPN (Sky, Netflix etc excepted) but some are asking me to prove I'm human. I'm sure it's not an issue if it's only Egypt but it would be a shame if there's a problem with MHF that might prevent others in other countries accessing it.

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:25

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Ha ha they have heard about your 'leanings' Peter. Isn't Egypt a dangerous place for tourists now?

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:33 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Ha ha they have heard about your 'leanings' Peter. Isn't Egypt a dangerous place for tourists now?

Ray.
I think Cairo and some of the big cities are best avoided Ray but in Hurghada which is fine. It's the sun that's the biggest danger here - 36C again today!

Peter

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:45

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Ooh errr, that is odd to say the least..... candy you arrange a trip to eg China to check there please ?

I wonder why that action appears to have been taken ? Presumably there may be some reason, but....

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:21 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
Ooh errr, that is odd to say the least..... candy you arrange a trip to eg China to check there please ?

I wonder why that action appears to have been taken ? Presumably there may be some reason, but....
Maybe North Korea!

Although I don't post on it, I can access Fun without any problems so seemingly a MHF problem. Now that would be a surprise!
Penquin and raynipper like this.

Peter
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:31

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Just a thought, could it have anything to do with where VS is based ? I wonder if some-one has thought "Oh, it's American, block it!" Fun of course is BRITISH based so does not represent such a challenge.

Obviously, I do not know but am just wondering on this grey Sunday morning here.....

I have a friend who was invited to North Korea a couple of years ago to help the State and the manufacture of eye drops (!), she was NOT allowed to take any camera or phone with or without internet access into North Korea - they were securely looked after at the border, so you are unlikely to gain access to MHF or Fun or even Google in there..... or any other site except perhaps official North Korean run sites....

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Last edited by Penquin; 06-10-2019 at 09:35.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:28

My Motorhome: Adria Coral 690SP
We use our friends internet connection when we stay with them in Turkey.....................we cannot access our local newspaper .

More importantly you cannot access Wikipedia.....................now that's "strong government"
Penquin likes this.

Peter and Carmel

Spooky travelled with us for 5 years and over 20,000 miles.He died aged 11 and is buried in Delphi in Greece.
Now that's a great age and a great adventure for a rabbit and I think he deserves a mention.

The best things in Life...........................are not Things !!

Life is really, really great Ö...........sometimes it's a bit sh*t............and then you die !!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 13:25

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Maybe itís got something to do with the weapon ads when you enter via the old Motorhomefacts website.
Almost got myself an assault rifle on Friday but the seller didnít post to the UK!

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 15:39

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
I'm aware that the Egyptian authorities are trying to block sites that are encouraging civil unrest but I doubt that MHF is one of those!
I think they've caught wind of the Brexit thread Peter!!

Jean
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 15:57 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
I'm aware that the Egyptian authorities are trying to block sites that are encouraging civil unrest but I doubt that MHF is one of those!
I think they've caught wind of the Brexit thread Peter!!
You could be right Jean. Maybe they object to some of the names that Boris Johnson is being called!

Thinking about it I suspect the blocking is happening wherever Verticalscope's servers are hosted, which is presumably in Canada. If the block was here in Egypt then I imagine the notification would be in Arabic as well possibly as English.
Penquin likes this.

Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page