Smart-Tow A Frame sytem - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-07-2011, 19:44 Thread Starter

Smart-Tow A Frame sytem

Just thinking of having a SMART-TOW A-Frame installed on a small car. Apparently the smart-tow system uses a pump to create a vacuum in the servo so that the brakes are assisted when they are depressed by a ram connected to the brake pedal that pulls the pedal down when you apply the brakes on the motorhome. This in theory allows for more efficient braking of the towed car. Anyone have this system? How does it perform? Would much appreciate anyones experience with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-07-2011, 20:43

My Motorhome: Burstner Viseo 720I
I have had the system fitted now for 2 years and I am very pleased with it the A frame is light weight and easy to fit possibly a little expensive but you only get what you pay for any questions please ask

John
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-07-2011, 22:01

Hi
I fancy this system but at 1900 pounds I'll stick to the system that I have.

Ron

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chausson
Hi

Ron
Ron, I think you may be confusing Smart-Tow with another system. It should not cost that much. Full kit is 1,395 inc VAT for self fit. Professional fitting starts from 300
If you are being quoted 1900 from one of our fitting centres please contact me direct on 07950 968348 after 01Sep11 and I will help you find a lower quote.
Alan
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 00:10
BLF

It is excellent. You can adjust how much braking you want by sliding a knob up or down. I have used mine now for just on a year with no hassles at all.

BLF
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartTow
Quote:

Ron
Ron, I think you may be confusing Smart-Tow with another system. It should not cost that much. Full kit is 1,395 inc VAT for self fit. Professional fitting starts from 300
If you are being quoted 1900 from one of our fitting centres please contact me direct on 07950 968348 after 01Sep11 and I will help you find a lower quote.
Alan
I have a car a tow A-frame system fitted to a Citroen C1 and as a result of one near-miss incident I now have concerns / reservations regarding braking efficiency. As a result, I have been considering buying a new twin axle trailer (approx 2k) as an alternative to towing using an A-frame.

If your A-frame system ensures that the car continues to brake efficiently, i.e. that the vacuum is maintained and operates the brakes in the same way they operate when the car is being driven, then please PM me with some details.

PS: I would prefer to tow using an A-frame and will continue to do so (for as long as the legislation permits) providing I can be assured as to braking efficiency.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLF
It is excellent. You can adjust how much braking you want by sliding a knob up or down. I have used mine now for just on a year with no hassles at all.

BLF
The main issue we have is that people tend to set the brake adjustment too sensitive. Probably because they like to err on the side of caution. This results in the towed car overbraking and dragging a little on the Motorhome. It is better to find the trip point and then back off by about 1cm
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 22-08-2011, 17:53

Unibrake

It sounds to me as though you are talking about my fathers Unibrake towing system....not sure about all the tech details but take a look at his webisite, that should give you all the tech info:

http://www.unibrake.co.uk

We tow with it and have no issues at all.

Having just had our first hol using a trailer to tow the Harley....I would never tow the car on one, the trailer was a total pain in the botty....grrrr.....but we have no choice if we want to take the bike but would advise against it for a car, when you can easily tow it with an A frame.

Earlier this year we travelled through France, down to Spain and it was a dream....how an earth did we manage without extra transport before!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 22-08-2011, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartTow
Quote:
Hi

Ron
Alan
Hi Alan
No mistake on my part, it was one of your dealers. I wanted the cost to fit to a Smart car and was quoted just under/over 1900 pounds so as I said too rich for me.

Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page