Auto Smart car towing on an "A" Frame? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 25-07-2011, 19:23 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer B 655 SL
Personal Aire
Auto Smart car towing on an "A" Frame?

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere but I am looking at a Smart Car for towing with the M/Home using an "A" frame.
Does anyone out there tow a Smart with an auto gearbox on an "A" frame and are there any problems I should know about?
Rgds Mel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 25-07-2011, 19:36

auto

I met a couple who tow in A frames this weekend. One an unbraked on auto Smart, says he does so with no issues.

I would suggest his outfit should at least be braked.

TM
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 25-07-2011, 19:44

Now towing my second Smart on a braked A frame and never had a problem tows like a dream have even towed it behind the Range Rover.

Just make sure it's in neutral and the handbrake is off. Always had very good service and advise from Car-a-Tow. nothing is better than peace of mind.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 25-07-2011, 20:21

My Motorhome: 2015 Bailey Approach Autograph 740
The Smart is not an automatic in the traditional sense of the term. Just like the Toyota Aygo and most Citroens, it has an Automated Electronic Gearshift. In effect this is a traditional manual type gearbox with a fully automated clutch and gearchange.
The only automatics that cannot be towed without modification are CVT and traditional torque converter automatics.
BTW, irrespective of the arguments for or against A Frames, it is illegal to tow a Smart with an unbraked A Frame unless an inertia device such as a Brake Buddy is used.
Gerry
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 23:20

Re: Auto Smart car towing on an "A" Frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron1
Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere but I am looking at a Smart Car for towing with the M/Home using an "A" frame.
Does anyone out there tow a Smart with an auto gearbox on an "A" frame and are there any problems I should know about?
Rgds Mel.
Yes, all over Europe. There are no problems provided you make sure it is in neutral. There is a procedure for this that is reproduced in the USA Handbook. For some reason the European handbook was never updated. The Smart has brakes fitted and has a MAM of over 1000kg (although the Kerbside weight is much less "trailers" are calculated on their MAM) and therefore the brakes MUST operate correctly in all respects.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 23:47 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Hi,
Not sure what you mean by "procedure for this", don't you just put the car into neutral and ensure the handbrake is off ??
Mel.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 00:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron1
Hi,
Not sure what you mean by "procedure for this", don't you just put the car into neutral and ensure the handbrake is off ??
Mel.
The Smart has a normal gearbox with the gears being changed by a actuator arm. This process takes a little time which is why some people don't get on with the gear change on Smart's.

When driving the Smart it is possible to pull to a halt knock the gear lever into neutral and whip the key out of the ignition before the electronics have had a chance to catch up with you. As the clutch does not engage until around 9mph it is possible to roll the car quite easily and think you are in neutral. Only when you set off above 9mph does the clutch engage and do wonderous things to your gearbox. Operator error unfortunately.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 00:08
BLF

Hi, See my ad here in Motorhomefacts as I am selling my smart car. If the price is right its yours.

I have towed it for over a year now with no hassles what so ever. The only time I know it is behind me is when I am going up a steep hill and then I need to kick it down a gear.

As you say, put it in neutral and make sure the handbrake is off.

BLF
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 20:29 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Thanks SmartTow,
I will bear that in mind, could have been a costly mistake!!

BLF,
Thanks for the offer but I have already purchased an '05 Smart For Two Passion, v.nice in silver and black.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page