Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Motorhome Towing (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/114-motorhome-towing/)
-   -   Help - How do you reverse an A-frame towed car? (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/114-motorhome-towing/241361-help-how-do-you-reverse-frame-towed-car.html)

raynipper 23-04-2021 10:41

1 Attachment(s)
Best to say nothing.............................

Ray.

erneboy 23-04-2021 10:58

I think caravans are best. I saw some amazing reversing when I was helping out on the aire next door.

The very worst might have taken half an hour, trying to reverse into a space. Massive family rows were common. I couldn't have videoed without making it much worse. I used not to watch, if possible, so as not to make the nervous worse.

HyFy 23-04-2021 12:00

Thanks for the advice

Thanks

I agree that the "Smart" car video is very "unsmart". Even the one with the "Suzuki" slams onto full lock at the end of the reverse.

I get the general advice that reversing in a straight line is acceptable but for anything else it's time for Sandra to get in and reverse the car away from the motorhome. It's her car anyway!!

I could just about do a three pointer last night but it was a huge wide junction and you could feed it very gently. While I was managing that I upset the local motorcycle school who obviously wanted to use the same junction to practice "u" turns!! Shame...

Thanks chaps, I will apply the advice on the first "trip" (to Cumbria) next week.

Geoffrey

Mrplodd 23-04-2021 15:53

Look what happens to the front wheels in the second video!

Something not quite right there, the Smart cars front wheels suddenly go onto partial not full lock and then the front tyres scuff. Bearing in mind that a Smart car doesnít have a steering lock fitted (the ignition locks the transmission in reverse) I do wonder whatís going on ?

Pudsey_Bear 23-04-2021 17:11

I wonder how much damage will be caused if a little sense is used when reversing and not just go for it, if the steering goes to full lock I don't really see a problem if it happens slowly, and I think the tyres will cope, just wear down a bit sooner, no biggy.

erneboy 23-04-2021 17:57

I've seen an RV dozing the tow car backwards into a space while it was on full lock. It was nothing to the RV though I'd say the car and the Aframe were under substantial and unusual stresses.

I'm not sure a Euro van would be able to push a car in that way as easily as an RV can. You wouldn't want to be slipping a Fiat clutch to do it I'd say.

nickkdx 24-04-2021 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pudsey_Bear (Post 3154549)

Thatís crazy, anybody can just push a car and as Ray said it would wreck the carís geometry.
And I think it only worked so easily in this instance because itís a Smart car with rear engine and very little weight on the front.

neilmac 01-05-2021 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyFy (Post 3154621)
Thanks

I agree that the "Smart" car video is very "unsmart". Even the one with the "Suzuki" slams onto full lock at the end of the reverse.

The video with the Suzuki is of me reversing it behind my Swift Bel-Air :smile2:

The full lock at the end of the reverse is intentional in order for the car's steering to face the correct way for pulling forwards again - it then follows the tail swing of the motorhome.

Reversing is a difficult thing to do and like other difficult things it just requires loads of practice.

The braking system in the Suzuki was an RVi2 electronic setup so complied with trailer regulations for reversing.

Pudsey_Bear 01-05-2021 10:07

I'm not sure about any damage to the steering, I'm sure driving on rough roads, speed bumps and potholes would do much more, all that happens when reversing is the car goes on to full lock, which you might do when driving it anyway so why would that damage anything.

HyFy 17-05-2021 16:09

Advice please

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilmac (Post 3156433)
The video with the Suzuki is of me reversing it behind my Swift Bel-Air :smile2:

The full lock at the end of the reverse is intentional in order for the car's steering to face the correct way for pulling forwards again - it then follows the tail swing of the motorhome.

Reversing is a difficult thing to do and like other difficult things it just requires loads of practice.

The braking system in the Suzuki was an RVi2 electronic setup so complied with trailer regulations for reversing.

Thanks for that neilmac. Maybe you can advise me further. The car I tow is a Fiat 500 Twinair and having owned a Suzuki GV TD for 150,000 miles I am fairly sure that the steering is a tad stronger than that of the Fiat!!
How do you reverse in, what appears to be, a fairly tight circle without it locking over to the opposite lock? I can do a wide three pointer but if I get it even slightly tighter, it locks over with a bang even at a very slow speed. It's sufficient to stop the 4,500kg motorhome dead. I have not tried to force the issue by reversing against the lock. The brake over-run system on my A-frame is sufficient that I can reverse it gently without having to get out and disconnect the brake but as soon as it goes to a full lock I would have to get out and sort it before reversing further. I accept that this is contrary to the definition of a trailer.

I have just got back from the Lake District where on one fairly narrow part of a road alongside Ullswater, we came across a huge low loader and overhanging excavator. Luckily I could slot back enough to get partly up the bank and the other driver was good enough to be able squeeze past. Otherwise it would have been fun as we both had a queue of vehicles behind us!! So I would like to get some more practice in before the next trip.

Any further advice would be useful. I used to be a professional driver so I am used to most forms of driving but I hate not being able to master this issue.

HyFy