Fiat 500 TwinAir as a towed car. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 20:35 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy G781GJ Emotion
Fiat 500 TwinAir as a towed car.

Hi
I think that there has been a long enough gap between this and previous similar questions for this one to be valid. I am, after years of prevarication, looking at A-frame towing a car. We currently have a Mini Cooper S available but there are some questions over it's suitability to fit an A-frame and, of course, its extra weight.
So... We are looking at a Fiat 500. and today test drove both a TwinAir (840cc 2-cylinder turbo) and a Lounge 1.2 (1.2l 4-cylinder) - both "Manual" - both 15,000 miles-ish.). The only difference between the TwinAir 2-cylinder and my recollection of the original Fiat 500 (Yes - I had one in 1972!) was the oomph at 105bhp!! The noise was still the same!! We have been quoted between £1000 and £2700 for the vehicle A-frame conversion. (I understand the reasons for the difference and have yet to make a decision.)

But... I have noticed on a number of Fiat 500's on forecourts that there seems to be a paint issue or an issue with drivers driving through pebble-dashing, i.e. the bonnets (and other panels) seem to be badly gravel-chipped.

1) Am I barking up the wrong tree thinking of towing a Fiat 500? (£0 tax and 67 mpg (combined)(test value.)
2) Has anyone else seen this paint issue and is it an issue? The dealer has agreed to respray the bonnet and I will have a deposit return option on the result.

The TwinAir is otherwise a very nice car with all of the posing options. I am still trying to find who the first/only owner was and whether he/she lived up a forest track!! (We have them in abundance around here.)

Your views, as always, gratefully anticipated,

HyFy

P.S. The towing vehicle is fine with a 180bhp manual donk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:08
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
These are the experts on the specific car:-

https://www.fiatforum.com/500/

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
The Following User Says Thank You to EJB For This Useful Post:
HyFy (05-09-2019)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:32 Thread Starter

Thanks for that EJB.

I'd tried them but the only paint issue on that Forum was a Gucci and I seem to recall that was a special finish but I will raise a thread and see what they say.

Thanks

HyFy

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 21:15

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Before parting with your hard earned just make sure your MH is plated high enough to tow your proposed purchase (don’t forget to include the weight of the A frame as well) Many have very meagre limits. I had an Autotrail 696 a few years ago the max trailer weight was only just over 1000kg. That was JUST enough for a Smart car on a lightweight purpose built Smart car trailer with around only 20kg spare!

To quote that old Athena poster ‘If in doubt, check”

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrplodd For This Useful Post:
HyFy (09-09-2019)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 00:05 Thread Starter

Thanks for that MrPlod but remember that I was a Mr Plod as well!! The Certificate of Conformity give me a Maximum Towable mass of 2100 kgs (braked). A Fiat 500 is between 850 and 950 depending on model. I could even tow the wife's existing Cooper S which is about 1450 kgs. but there are issues with replacing crush section bits at the front with the A-frames so maybe not.

In fact, since I put out the original thread I have declined the paint chipped TwinAir as I suspect the damage was caused by someone towing it!!

I am still looking for one but without the paint chips...

HyFy.

PS If you remember the old Athena posters you really are as old as me.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:45

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
We saw many cars being towed in the states that had 'bras' fitted to prevent stone chips. But after a while and with the dust and wind the bras left a mark all round the edges. Even fitting a dirt skirt along under the back of the motorhome caused even more dust to be stirred up.

So chips are an inevitable fact of towing anything.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
The Following User Says Thank You to raynipper For This Useful Post:
HyFy (09-09-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page