How will this engine tow my car ? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 2 Post By philoaks

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 17:19 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Question How will this engine tow my car ?

Hi . Has anyone out there towed a car weighing approx. 1400 with a Fiat 2.3 150bhp (euro 5+) (ours will be behind a 6.99metre Hymer 598 )- just wondering how the motorhome is likely to perform doing this ? we are looking at going to Europe and to places like Morzine and Les Gets in the summer - so some big hills. Any comments gratefully received. Also would towing with an A frame make much difference to towing on a trailer ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 17:55
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolting jaffa View Post
.. Also would towing with an A frame make much difference to towing on a trailer ?
It would if you get stopped by the feds in some mainland European countries!

Cant hep with the engine part but probably best to check out the legalities of the countries you are planning on travelling through and visiting if you plan an A Frame.

Graham

PS Welcome to MHF!

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 17:57

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Hi Jaffa.
I have tried towing a one ton Citroen ZX with my 2.8Jtd on an A frame and it was a bit of a struggle.
I only did it to and from Le Mans and the UK and it was hard work after having large RVs with 300hp.

If you are going to spend time in one place it makes sense to have a car there. Not sure the HP my old Fiat has but probably in the 115 region.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 17:57

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Our last motorhome was a Fiat 2.3 130bhp which weighed 4,200kg fully laden and we towed a 950kg car. I suspect that this will be similar to the combined weight you are proposing and we had no problems. On long hills we would have to drop through the gears (it was manual) to sometimes 3rd but it was never a problem.

Peter
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 18:47

My Motorhome: Autotrail Dakota Super Lowline
Personal Aire
Ditto what Peribo says. We tow an 900kg car (on an A frame) with a 130bhp Ducato. Yes you do have to use the gears a bit but it's no big deal. If you've a 150bhp then I'm sure it would cope fine, even with a larger car.

Regarding the difference between A frame and trailer. If you only plan to tow in the UK then you shouldn't have too many issues in the UK using an A frame. It's not legal but it's not illegal either

Touring in mainland Europe may be different. Some have no problems, others have been stopped and forced to uncouple the car on an A frame and drive it separately. If you tow the car on a trailer then there is no problem............. having said that you will need to add the weight of the car to any proposed trailer and ensure that the total weight doesn't exceed the maximum towing limit stipulated for the van by Hymer

Phil
GMJ and GMJ like this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 18:56

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page