MMM article on A Frames - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 4 Post By cabby
  • 2 Post By raynipper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 00:09 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Niesmann Bischoff Flair
MMM article on A Frames

What is it with MMM and A Frames they continually push towards trailers. The article in September edition page 165 is so technically wrong, no mention of Armitage adding additional front bar to the car and incorrect that Towbars to Towcars alter the braking system on the Towcars, they add a system which applies the brakes but works in parallel to the braking system so there is no modification in any way.

So many take MMM as being 100% factual and take it as gospel, surely they should be getting their facts right and be a little more balanced.

No mention of having to take the weight of the trailer into consideration when towing. I see so many tag axles towing large cars on trailers and from having owned a number of tag axles they have very small max towing capacities.

Last edited by stewartwebr; 05-09-2016 at 00:23. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 00:37

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
Perhaps you should challenge them with technical proof and demand that the article be withdrawn or re written.Maybe even ask the tech section of the Caravan Club to take them to task.

cabby
GaryL, GaryL, GMJ and 1 others like this.

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 07:15

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Ditto what he said, if no one objects it becomes fact in others minds.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 08:30

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
It might be down to advertisers. Car-A-Tow might not be advertising with MMM but trailer manufacturers might?

Ray.
GMJ and GMJ like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 08:49

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Could it be that the person writing the article was biased in some way and the editor either agreed with the views or had no proper knowledge to make it possible to challenge the statements.

Maybe it was because of the much written about "grey area" of the law surrounding the "A" frame, whereas no such doubt about the use of trailers exists, so long as the well published rules are adhered to.

John
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 10:04 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Niesmann Bischoff Flair
I have written to the Editor putting my point across that the article was extremely bias and have a number of inaccuracies and was certainly bias towards trailers. I think from memory both Armitage and Tow bars to Tow cars advertise in the magazine on a monthly basis. You would think the editorial team would have consulted with them for their technical imput. The fact they fail to mention Armitage modify the front of the vehicle by adding a cross member which in my opinion could have insurance implications and the statement that TB2TC modify the vehicle braking system is not correct is nothing short of poor journalism.

My main concern is a lot of people take what is published in MMM as being fact and over the last few years there technical content has become less factual and in my opinion very bias towards chosen elements. Not to mention that most of the magazine is now taken up with advertising. I think it's time to cancel the subscription.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartwebr View Post
. . . they add a system which applies the brakes but works in parallel to the braking system so there is no modification in any way.
I know what you mean Stewart, and I'm 100% on your side, but they clearly have modified the braking because they have added components to the existing setup. If you alter a system in any way, you have by definition, modified it.

What needs to be made very clear is that the braking system still works in exactly the same way as if the driver was sat behind the wheel. Our Smart Tow system is virtually identical to yours in operation, so I can confirm what you say . . . but don't give the b'stards semantic wriggle room by saying the car is not modified, or you will immediately be on the defensive

Hope this is useful

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to Zebedee For This Useful Post:
stewartwebr (05-09-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page