We want an A Frame, but what one - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 15:27 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. Called a few places but seem to be getting contradicting advice from suppliers. I think I need to do a little more homework. I was going to go with TB2TC but I have been told if a servo is fitted it must be working.
Called 4 suppliers, Got 4 bits of advice, Got 4 different contradicting advice. Why is anything to do with motor homing never simple.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 18:11

My Motorhome: Autotrail Dakota Super Lowline
Personal Aire
The problem is that you are dealing with something that has not been formally legalised in the UK and the various manufacturers of A frames pick out the parts of the regulations for "trailers" that suit their products and use other parts of the regulations to rubbish their competitors products.

Like talagon our setup was done by unibrake. Braking is electronic with a vacuum pump fitted to ensure the servo operates at 100%. Reversing is possible as brakes only operate when the pedal is pressed. Having said that, reversing is avoided at all cost as anything other than a short, straight push is nigh on impossible. If I do get into a tight corner I can uncouple, strap the A frame up and have the car driveable in about 15 seconds.

Whichever company you go with you should end up with a product that is usable and is currently "not illegal" for use on UK roads.

You pays your money and..............

Last edited by philoaks; 02-03-2016 at 18:16.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 22:30

My Motorhome: Niesmann Bischoff Flair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revise View Post
Thanks for all the info. Called a few places but seem to be getting contradicting advice from suppliers. I think I need to do a little more homework. I was going to go with TB2TC but I have been told if a servo is fitted it must be working.
Called 4 suppliers, Got 4 bits of advice, Got 4 different contradicting advice. Why is anything to do with motor homing never simple.....
Suggest you call TB2TC back as I had no issue with servo depletion in my Abarth 500 it worked very well"
When they tested my SLK on a rolling road it was found the weight of the vehicle required an auxiliary servo pump fitted which keeps the brake system topped up.
TB2TC fit so many systems to your type of car they will know it inside out.

Last edited by stewartwebr; 02-03-2016 at 22:31. Reason: Brake not break

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 23:08

Revise I don't know who mentioned a servo issue. Ring TB2TC as Stewart has said and speak to Graham or his Son Terry. There is absolutely no problems with their frames.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 13-04-2016, 20:03

My Motorhome: I drive...
We are giving up motorhoming due to advancing age and health concerns. We have for 5 years been towing a Fiat 500 behind our Hobby 750 using the TowBars 2TowCars system. The system is great but as various people have reported no A Frame will allow reversing. The only problem experienced has been positioning the car behind the motorhome to enable the A frame to be dropped on to the tow ball. When approaching the driver cannot see the tow ball so the manufacturer sold us a laser torch to attach to the A frame in its upright position with a view to placing the beam on a predetermined spot on the back of the motorhome. Experience has shown that this only works if the roadway is perfectly flat fore and aft and side to side. The solution we found was to make, from rigid plastic pipe (plumbers merchants) and a 90 joint fitting to attach across the A frame eye bolts and project out in front by the same amount as the tow hitch does when lowered to connect on. We fitted a caravan towing mirror to the bicycle rack on the rear of the motorhome and adjusted it so the tow car driver can see the tow ball and the end of the plastic pipe so the two can be aligned precisely. It is then easy to remove the plastic tubing and drop the hitch over the tow ball. This is much better than making multiple attempts especially in wet windy or freezing conditions and means the better half can sit in the warm and no harsh words need to be used. Anyway we now want to sell the motorhome and the car. If there is any interest in either or both please get in touch at skipperman@gmail.com or tel on 07813191527
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 14-04-2016, 09:18

My Motorhome: Niesmann Bischoff Flair
HazelLesley,

Thank you for your interesting solution. Sorry to hear you are giving up motorhoming due to your health. Nothing to stop you staying a member here and still continuing to be involved. I'm sure after all those years of being on the road you have a wealth of experience and knowledge to share with us all.

I know what you mean about hooking the car on and having to be lined up. The method we adopted for current van, they all vary depending on the height of the tow hitch etc, is get it as close as I can then whilst stationary turning the steering wheel without actually moving forward, it does actually move the A Frame about 3 inches either way, and normally enough to get it on. However, I should add I can actually see the towball on current van as it has air suspension so I raise the van to highest level which makes it easier when you can see it.

Once again I wish you all the very best for the future and please consider staying on and sharing your experiences.

Stewart
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 16-10-2018, 08:36

My Motorhome: I drive...
Has any one used a A Frame on a motorhome for a Ford KA & is it ezy to install. New here. Cheers lozer...

Last edited by lozer; 16-10-2018 at 08:38.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 16-10-2018, 09:19

My Motorhome: Challenger PVC
Personal Aire
Reversing.... with an electronic braking setup it is possible - but needs loads of practice and very gentle input from the motorhome to effect a turn of any kind.

We used to tow a Suzuki Jimny and this video is me turning around by backing into a side road...

Pudsey_Bear likes this.

I use UK Pub Stopovers, but then I would
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 16-10-2018, 21:03
p-c

Hi neilmac
I think that was great manouvering. It is strange how the front wheels suddenly spin out of line. Of course once that happens control has gone.
I think HarleyDave's post, number 2, is very informative still, even if it's 30 months old.
We have the car-a-tow system with a 52 plate VW Golf convertible toad. Furthest trip is Venice and back.
Kind regards
p-c
neilmac likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 16-10-2018, 21:30

My Motorhome: Challenger PVC
Personal Aire
Thank you p-c 🙂

The wheels are 'made' to flip over at the end of the reverse. That sets the car up to follow the tail-swing of the motorhome when pulling forwards to make the manoeuvre, otherwise the car's wheels would struggle to follow the motorhome.

I use UK Pub Stopovers, but then I would
The Following User Says Thank You to neilmac For This Useful Post:
p-c (17-10-2018)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page