Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Motorhome Towing (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/114-motorhome-towing/)
-   -   Spain and 'A' Frames (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/114-motorhome-towing/130306-spain-frames.html)

adgy 12-03-2015 20:58

Spain and 'A' Frames

Not sure if this is the correct section to post so sorry if it isn't, admin please re direct if necessary.

Before some of you start getting you backs up about seeing another 'A' Frame post, take a chill pill.

This is not about the 'so called' legality of using the 'A' Frame in Spain its about the facts or the probability of having to accept a 'Spanish Tax' for using one.

My first question. Over the last twelve to eighteen months who on this forum travelling through Spain has been stopped by the police and fined for towing an 'A' Frame?

My second question. Over the last twelve to eighteen months who on this forum travelling through Spain has been stopped by the police and advised or allowed to continue using an 'A' Frame?.

To balance the equation. Over the last twelve to eighteen months who on this forum travelling through Spain has never been stopped or bothered by the police for towing an 'A' Frame?

Maybe someone more forum savy than me can create a poll. I think it will benefit a lot of travelling members

Cheers

site helper note - moved to motorhome towing

neilmac 12-03-2015 21:04

We HAVE a-framed recently in Spain and have never had a problem even when sharing a petrol filling station forecourt with some Guardia - they just were 't interested.

TheNomad 12-03-2015 21:09

A framing is illegal in Spain. You may or may not get caught and fined. I have seen loads of A framers here. I have personally now met 3 who have been heavily fined on the spot and forced to decouple and continue as two separate road vehicles.
Just like speeding or any other road traffic offence.......
choice, your risk.

p-c 12-03-2015 21:29

Hi
I fear that your "survey" might be a bit skewed as many people who use an A-frame would either not use it in Spain. Or, like me, just avoid Spain totally and keep to France, Italy etc.
However I will follow this with interest.
Regards
p-c

GerryD 12-03-2015 21:49

Used to use an A Frame, but never abroad.
Just come back from 6 weeks in Spain,saw lots of Motorhomes towing with A Frames. Not a hint of anyone getting stopped by the Police.
Gerry

HarleyDave 12-03-2015 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNomad (Post 1310994)
A framing is illegal in Spain. You may or may not get caught and fined. I have seen loads of A framers here. I have personally now met 3 who have been heavily fined on the spot and forced to decouple and continue as two separate road vehicles.
Just like speeding or any other road traffic offence.......
choice, your risk.

Name them - define "heavily fined" and elaborate on the fine/arrangement to continue.

Cheers

Dave

HarleyDave 12-03-2015 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by GerryD (Post 1311082)
Used to use an A Frame, but never abroad.
Just come back from 6 weeks in Spain,saw lots of Motorhomes towing with A Frames. Not a hint of anyone getting stopped by the Police.
Gerry

Yep - seen lots of A-frames in use in Span

We have A-framed extensively in France (and UK - obv...)

I now tow our Smart on a trailer but do wonder about the "scare stories" in Spain

Cheers

Dave

InfaRed 13-03-2015 00:40

Not used my A-frame abroad so will follow this with interest.

When booking ferry/tunnel do you treat it as a trailer or book as two vehicles?
Ian

MicknPat 13-03-2015 11:06

On our first visit to Spain in 2011 with our MH towing car with A frame I was stopped and advised by Spanish Traffico Police, on return to UK changed to smaller car and bought car transporter trailer.

TheNomad 13-03-2015 11:08

Dave- no names that I can remember, just Brits that we have met over here in Spain on our tours around the country.
I recall specifically that one chap we met last autumn was fined 600 euros, and his wife was very annoyed that on the rest of their trip she was having to drive their smart car and follow him.
It is not the policia local that you need to worry about but Guardia Civil trafico - as they enforce the law on out-of-town roads.