Spain and 'A' Frames - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-03-2015, 19:01

I must admit, it does get quite boring with repeated A Frame threads
The way that I look at it, is that we are guests in any Country we visit, and as such, we should respect their laws and ways.
Similarly, as we ask, or want visitors to our own Country, to respect our values!
If we can't do this, then we have no right to complain about visitors to Blighty.
I speak, having been pulled over for numerous roadside traffic controls during my International Trucking days, generally without problems!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-03-2015, 19:20
DJP

It is really very very simple

A Frames are definitely NOT illegal in Spain........ There it is, simple.

What IS illegal though is towing one motorised vehicle with another. Despite country or origin regarding the toad as a trailer (to satisfy UK regs) cannot become a trailer as there is still a working drivable car in place, and no, removing a component will not get you round the problem. You need to be a registered recovery/breakdown company to tow any vehicle behind another.

This law also applies in Germany and Portugal, but they turn a blind eye to it, there again, they don't need the cash that Spain so desperately needs.

It's not worth it. First fine is usually 40 euro, second can be as much as 8000 with car impounded until paid in full.

As an ex A Framer who used to tow around all of Europe including Spain, I now only use a trailer. I have many friends in the Auto-Trail Owners' Club who have been stopped and fined over the last two years. (All of whom were fined 40 euro and made to unhitch).

Be seeing you! No. 6
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-03-2015, 19:22

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder View Post
But they are not legal in this country. See my earlier post.

John
John

I cannot see anything in your previous post which says 'A'-frames are not legal in 'England and Wales', assuming that is what you are referring to by 'this country', since you state you live in N. Wales. A principle of English Law is that anything is legal unless forbidden by Statute or under a decison of a Court of Law which bids a lower Court. i do not see anything in your previous post indicating to anything making 'A;0frames illegal, providing they adhere to braking, lighting and signage regulations.

As for the assertion by the Dft, if they did make that asssertion, about non-application of the 'Vienna Convention' to subsequent rules, applying that thinking would make all Construction and Use legislation void across boundaries, equally Driving Licences issued under legislation after 1948.

Geoff
neilmac and neilmac like this.

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-03-2015, 20:53

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
It's completely, totally and utterly irrelevant what the law in this country does or does not say when it comes to towing a toad on an A-frame in Spain. It is also irrelevant what the DfT says, what European law says and indeed what Spanish law says. The fact is that people get stopped by the police, fined and made to decouple. Isn't that the only knowledge that is relevant? It's then up to each person what they do or do not do about it.

Peter
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 13-03-2015, 23:03

My Motorhome: Challenger PVC
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
It's completely, totally and utterly irrelevant what the law in this country does or does not say when it comes to towing a toad on an A-frame in Spain. It is also irrelevant what the DfT says, what European law says and indeed what Spanish law says. The fact is that people get stopped by the police, fined and made to decouple. Isn't that the only knowledge that is relevant? It's then up to each person what they do or do not do about it.
Eventual results of the poll associated with this thread will be interesting:

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/114...ames-poll.html

I use UK Pub Stopovers, but then I would

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page