Motorhome Facts Forum banner

A-Frames, but not what you expect!

16K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  CPW2007 
#1 ·
Please feel free to hijack the thread with the legal wrangles if you really must, but I would appreciate a couple of genuine answers as well! :roll: :lol: :lol:

Has anyone towed a 2CV on an A-Frame please?

If you have, any comments would be valued, along with the make of frame and where you got it. Problem is there's nowhere to fix the standard towing eyes to attach most frames.

Thank you

Dave :D

P.S. I am having a private bet with myself about who will be the first to post a comment on the legal issues? (May even let you know if I was right! :lol: )

#2 ·
Good question Dave.

You might do better on one of the French 2CV forums although I haven't see anything on them, but them I wasn't really looking for that topic.

I wounder if any of the many clubs or retailers would know?

Alan.

#4 ·
Thanks Alan and Dave.

I had seen all those links you posted Dave, and thanks for them. :D

The ECAS one is no good for me. My 2cv has its original chassis, which I think is in good nick, but they do have this tendency to rust . . . very quickly and from the inside. :cry: That's what I meant by, "nowhere to attach the towing eyes" on the car. They might pull the front of the chassis off!!!!!!!!

The 2CV City one looks good. It will be fiddly to attach because the straps go round the suspension arms and ratchet up tight, so it should be pretty safe.

I think that frame may be the best (possibly only) option, but I would also be pleased to hear of any towing experiences. I know they are prone to wheel wobble at low speeds, but most reports of this have been when towed by another car. I'm hoping the mass and stability of 3.5 tonnes of M/H will help reduce that.

Thanks again

#6 ·
If it weren't for the fact that I keep my car in Spain I would buy one of those linked to at 2CV City tomorrow.

Thanks for that link Dave/Penquin. I have been on the 2CV City web site often and have bought many parts from Tony there but I hadn't seen the A Frame.

Tony buys cars and parts in Europe and will almost certainly have used the A Frame to bring some home. I expect he would be able to tell you all you want to know, Alan.

#8 ·
Zebedee said:
The 2CV City one looks good. It will be fiddly to attach because the straps go round the suspension arms and ratchet up tight, so it should be pretty safe.

. I know they are prone to wheel wobble at low speeds, but most reports of this have been when towed by another car. I'm hoping the mass and stability of 3.5 tonnes of M/H will help reduce that.

:D
Two points from a 20+ years A frame user. I have a vague recollection of a conversation with Alan Bee where an A frame designed for recovery eg one fitted with straps, were according to DfT or VOSA only for vehicle recovery, and it was the specific modification to the towed vehicle which changed it's use in law(ish). Secondly, many years ago we used to tow a 205 with a 6.5 ton RV on a GM chassis. I can't remember what caused it, or how it stopped, but for a while the 205 developed wheel wobble occasionally, and it shook the rear of the RV quite noticably. I've also fond memories of having a 2CV many years ago.

Best of luck

Malcolm

#9 ·
erneboy said:
Tony buys cars and parts in Europe and will almost certainly have used the A Frame to bring some home. I expect he would be able to tell you all you want to know, Alan.
He has and he did Alan, thanks.

I had a chat with him a couple of days ago, and have decided to get one of his frames. The collapsible one for £190 (£150 for the rigid one) may be a bit more fiddly to assemble and fit, but it will fold small enough to go in the 2CV boot.

Tony says he always has one in the boot especially when abroad, just in case he spots a car to buy. He was very honest and open, and warned me that some cars can suddenly become unstable at low speeds, but never when bowling along.

Have to get a towbar fitted on the van first. That will be the most expensive bit.

Regards

Dave

#10 ·
Good thread this.

It got me thinking. I can't A Frame because we spend a lot of time in Spain.

But I have been looking at trailers again, having previously dismissed the possibility due to this van, for various reasons, only being able to tow around 750Kgs.

It looks as though it may be possible to have a lightweight aluminium trailer built which my van could tow and even with the car it could possibly still be under 750Kgs.

A bit more research is required just to be sure I can fit a suitable towbar. The van payload has quite a bit to spare so I could plate down a little if that would increase the weight of trailer I can tow but if I can stay under 750 then I won't need brakes. Possibly, Alan.

#11 ·
Hi Alan

I'm surprised to discover that your Mehari weighs a little more than my 2CV - but an insignificant amount.

What you suggest should be easily achievable for either vehicle - but unfortunately I have nowhere to store a trailer. I think I will go with an A-Frame, and if that doesn't work out I will have lost very little if I finally have to resort to buying a trailer - or maybe hiring one for the relatively few occasions I will need it.

Interesting thought!

Dave

#12 ·
I have moved forward on the trailer idea.

It can be done under 750Kgs using aluminium. I have a couple of quotes and will probably go ahead. I still think it could also be done in steel but there are no takers and I really can't be bothered building trailers any more, not even sure if you still can build from scratch yourself without some sort of approval?

I emailed details of our van and what I wanted to do to several trailer companies and got some really stupid replies trying to sell me trailers that would have put me anything up to three hundred kilos over our train weight. It seemed clear to me that they couldn't care less about whether we ended up legal or not just so long as they got a sale.

Have a look at this one. I am not seriously considering it but it is very interesting. Well worth a look: http://www.allytrailer.co.uk/videos

Alan.

#13 ·
Erneboy

I am sure you can get a lightweight trailer made up in Aluminium but its still going to weigh a fair bit even then (think steel wheels and the legally required suspension of some description that will be required)

About the only car I can think of that might possibly be light enough for you to stay UNDER 750Kg gross trailer weight is one of those appalling Axiom things you sometimes see in France !! (or a Qpod of course, tee hee)

A Smart car is about 740Kg unladen and a Smart trailer about 250-300Kg so I am right on the limit towing mine (max trailer weight on an Autotrail is 1050Kg)

Good luck and keep us posted.

#15 ·
I don't intend to hijack Zeb's thread with the legal aspect of towing with an A frame but instead add a suggestion about hiring a car whilst on site.

I did have a toad with an A frame for a short while but didn't like it.When touring without booking anywhere(which we often do) I found it restrictive for the spontaneous stops,the places that look very attractive and worthy of further investigation.With the toad on the back I was reluctant to go down any narrow,unknown roads.

I can see the attraction of a toad if you know where you are going and just using it for specific journeys when a car is necessary.With the cost of a hire car being fairly cheap is it worth the extra hassle of towing a car.

#16 ·
wakk44 said:
I can see the attraction of a toad if you know where you are going and just using it for specific journeys when a car is necessary.With the cost of a hire car being fairly cheap is it worth the extra hassle of towing a car.
Hi Steve

As you might guess I have thought long and hard about this, and I don't think I shall like towing either, and for the same reasons as yourself.

I blame the mother in law! 8O

We have to take the van when we visit, and can't stay closer than about 5 miles away. We would ride the bikes to her house of course, but it's along one of the most dangerous roads for cycling I know. I've looked into hiring down there and it is possible, but not very convenient, and more expensive than I anticipated.

At other times when we know we are going to need a car (Mrs Zeb's courses!!!! :roll: ) it would be good to have one in tow. I reckon the financial break-even point would be around 5 or 6 trips.

I guess what really shoved me over the edge to become a born again tugger ( :lol: ) was a comment on here from someone who said, "Just because you have the towbar setup doesn't mean you have to use it - except when you choose to".

#17 ·
I wouldn't be without the A-frame. We only use it in the UK and only because it is virtually impossible to park a 7.4 metre motorhome anywhere in the UK.
Once outside the UK, there are no problems and I would not contemplate towing the car.
As for the actual towing, my Smart car serves us well, it adds about 1mpg to the fuel consumption and you cannot feel it on the back.
Gerry

#18 ·
GerryD said:
As for the actual towing, my Smart car serves us well, it adds about 1mpg to the fuel consumption and you cannot feel it on the back.
Gerry
Agreed Gerry,I'm not knocking A frames at all.I was absolutely fine and had no problems towing it from A to B,it was when C came into the equation that put me off.The occasion when we got stuck down a narrow lane and had to unhitch the toad to do a 5 point turn with passing traffic trundling by swayed my opinion and is the reason I sold the A frame.

It depends on what type of motorhoming you do,for us it didn't suit but as I said if you know where you are going then a toad is great,it's just that very often we don't know where we are going. :lol:

#19 ·
wakk44 said:
. . . if you know where you are going then a toad is great,it's just that very often we don't know where we are going. :lol:
That's it in a nutshell Steve. :wink:

It won't suit us most of the time (and it definitely won't be coming to Brittany! :roll: ) but on the comparatively few occasions when we do know we will need the car I think it will be worth the effort.

Less hassle than Mrs Zeb following in the "real" car, and the total outlay will be bearable in the greater scheme of things at a shade under £700.

Time will tell! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.