Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Handy device to help find Freeview signal

8K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  WildThingsKev 
#1 ·
I came across this

http://www.ebay.co.u...2cAAOxyBnxR7A1P

and thought it might be of use to some? basically its a gadget that indicates the strongest Freeview digital signal so you can align your aerial to get the best signal. At a tenner its not going to break the bank either.

Andy

#5 ·
Hi Andy

The link works better than the gadget!!! :surprise:

I just bought one from Maxview (for twice the price - sob! :crying:) and I'm completely underwhelmed. Much fiddling and farting around, turning the sensitivity knob up and down whilst watching the little lights flicker on and off . . . all great fun but it made not the slightest difference. I got the same number of channels with or without the gadget, and it was a damn sight quicker just watching the TV screen as I rotated the aerial.

I think you're far better off with the FreepointUK App on the smart phone, and a compass.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roepy.csv1&hl=en

Dave :smile2:

#10 ·
I find the apps totally useless. I've downloaded UK Aerial Alignment app to both my phone and tablet and they point in different directions, even turning the phone or tablet round on a flat surface, shows transmitters in different directions. I bought a labgear gadget and although I never get more than two lights illuminated, I can at least see it improve from one light to two as I turn the aerial.

#12 ·
I have no first hand experience of this gadget, I just came across it whilst trawling flea bay and thought others might find it useful.

It would appear from what others have said that its about as much use as a chocolate fire guard. Sorry!!

Andy

#14 ·
Didn't know that Les - thanks for the info.

Paulmold - The App I suggested doesn't work like the one you tried. This one just tells you the compass bearing for two or three of the strongest local transmitters. You then use your compass and aim your aerial in that direction. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...epy.csv1&hl=en

It works as well, and certainly more conveniently than the signal finder gadget - which will get one more chance before it's thrown over the nearest hedge!! :frown2:

Dave

#19 ·
"That is good advice, however I had a look at aerials on a camp site I was on recently and they were all pointing every which way!"

The surprising thing with digital TV signals is that they are much more tolerant of being bounced off hills than the old analogue ones.

So, aerials pointing in different directions may well be just picking up reflections from different bits of geographical features.

#22 ·
The one I have is operated thus.

Freeview (terrestrial directional aerial); unplug the aerial lead where it plugs into the booster (or tv if you don't have a booster) and plug into the finder. As you rotate the aerial the lights and sound will indicate max signal. Disconnect and plug lead back into booster/tv. Foolproof but watchout for villages in valleys where there may be a local transmission polarised by 90 degrees and you have to wind the aerial onto its side.

Sat; plug it inline using a short flylead. You need to have a pretty good idea of where to start pointing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.