Thinking about fitting a fiamma type security handle lock - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about fitting a fiamma type security handle lock

Hi I've been thinking about fitting one of those external security locks/handles to the habitation door. This kind of thing - http://www.fiammastore.com/security_shop_page5.htm

The one thing putting me off is the idea of drilling holes right through the van. Are they as easy to fit as they look?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 08:39 PM

Door lock

Just take your time, measure and measure again. Make sure you don't have pipes or electrics in the way and then use a sharp drill.

It really is that easy.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 08:48 PM

As above yozz, take you time properly measure we also used a spirit level when we done ours.
We made a real good job of it (If I may blow my own Trumpet)

Cufc
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 08:52 PM

just make sure whatevers inside doesnt come right up to the edge of the door frame as you need to fit the spreader plate and cover, other than that its easy.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 08:53 PM

No problem and if your mh has a window in the door that lowers you can lock / unlock from inside. Any deterant to a thief is better than none

Dave P
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:08 PM

Hi yozz

I fitted a type 46 handle to my motorhome two weeks ago. I agree with all the comments above regarding the fitting being straightforward if you are careful. It works well as a handle for entering the motorhome but there is one thing that concerns me. There is a lot of leverage if a vandal were to pull hard on the closed handle. My wall construction is aluminium/polystyrene sheet/plywood interior and I reckon the handle could be pulled out enough to open the door - destroying the whole side panel in the process. What do you others with this handle feel about that? Am I just an old worryguts?

Kees
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 PM

I fitted one, with the extra clamp thingy (That fastens through the door) to hold the handle / security arm in place.

It's called the Security 46 Pro £82.95 http://www.fiammastore.com/security_shop_page5.htm

This is definately the way forward as there is no way anyone can lever the arm out when it's locked in place on the door.

One word of caution, re. the fitting. Make sure your van is sitting 100% level (Back to front & side to side) because if you don't, you'll never quite get the thing to close perfectly without rubbing.(I didn't check it and wish I did!)

Easy to fit though, just look out for wires and be aware that your sink top, if you've got a rear kitchen, will catch on the inside spreader plate if you're not careful.

Good luck
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:54 PM

Thanks for that link Double-Entendre. I shall order the extra lock for the door tomorrow. I was beginning to wish I hadn't fitted it, but that will solve the problem.

Cheers

Kees
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Entendre
I fitted one, with the extra clamp thingy (That fastens through the door) to hold the handle / security arm in place.
It's called the Security 46 Pro £82.95 http://www.fiammastore.com/security_shop_page5.htm
Good luck
Expensive, check my prices ! £72 inc VAT

£11-95 cheaper

Peter
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 07:08 AM

http://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/erol.html#6734x0

Yep Peters cheap, I can verify

Mandy

Actually not sure now, just put my postcode in and total cost was £69.49, ooooooo Peter you may have been out done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page