Can I retrofit Automatic Energy Selection to Dometic RM7361 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-07-2009, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Can I retrofit Automatic Energy Selection to Dometic RM7361

My Autotrail Cheyenne 696G Ducato X 2/50 based motorhome has a Dometic RM 7361 fridge fitted - Single door with ice box. It has three settings on the dial for 12v, 230v and Gas. I have seen pictures of exactly the same model except it has a fourth position marked 'Auto' or 'AES' on the energy selection dial. I think this is the 7365 model.

As the basic components won't be much different I was wondering if it's possible to retro-fit the AES switch and circuitry to make it work? If so does anybody know if someone sells a kit to do it?

It wouldn't be that hard to rig it up myself, at least the part which selects 12v when the engine is running and reverts to gas when you stop as this is just a relay linked to the engine run wire. However I can't really be bothered as it's only a minor inconvenience to switch it over manually. I do often forget to go from Gas to 12v when I'm rolling and this is not too clever when you go into a petrol station to fill up, especially as I have a Gaslow LPG conversion so I'm sometimes filling up with LPG even though it's on the opposite side of the vehicle.

I know I should remember to do a check before moving off and shouldn't have the gas on in motion -blah-de-blah-de-blah- but I'm a bit of an airhead (ask me how many times I lose keys/passports/phones etc.) and at 41 years of age this is unlikely to change much in the future. In fact it will probably get worse!

The difference between me and the thousands of others who're doing this as well is that I recognise I'm hopeless at remembering anything (I amaze myself that I can run business employing 25 people!) and am far too disorganised to go through a check list each time I move off.

The more I can get automation to mitigate my inbuilt lack of intellect the better!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Regards, Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-07-2009, 04:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to CliveMott Send a message via MSN to CliveMott Send a message via Yahoo to CliveMott
Answer YES
Dometic sell the bits as a kit I understand.
C.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-07-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

FANTASTIC - nothing is life is ever that easy! There must be something wrong!!!

Any idea where I could get one? I'm about to start trawling the internet but if you have the address to hand it might save me a bit of time...

Any idea how much they cost?

Thanks, Mark
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-07-2009, 07:31 PM

Personal Aire
You could try Ashbridge domestic. They can source Dometic parts I believe.

www.ashbridgedomestic.co.uk

Trevor

Not all who wander are lost.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-07-2009, 11:02 PM

Can I retrofit Automatic Energy Selection to Dometic RM7361

Hi skiboycey, I think this is what you're looking for.

http://www.dometic.com/enuk/Europe/U...ctdataid=68277
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 29-07-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

That's the part - I just can't find where to buy one!

I've trawled the internet and sent an email to Dometic (no reply yet) but can't find anywhere that's got the part listed and a price so I can order one. The Dometic site says 'Where to buy' on the right of the page but then askes lots of questions about if you're interested in 'industrial refrigeration' and such-like before compiling a completely useless list of dealers!

Usual crap website designing...

I'm going to try and contact the company that 'trevorf' suggested

Cheers, Mark
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 29-07-2009, 12:44 PM

AES for Dometic fridge

You could try www.leisurespares.co.uk (01423 32110
but I have a feeling that it may now be a discontinued item due to the fact that it was not a very successfuel conversion.
Please let me know if that is the case.
Mashy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 29-07-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

I've sent them an email - I'll let you know the outcome...

Thanks for the pointer - looks like a very useful company for other spares as well...

Cheers, Mark
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 29-07-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Hi Mashy

Here's the reply I got from leisurespares so that's the end of that! Looks like I'll have to make my own if I get a spare day to fiddle around with it. Should be fairly easy to rig up if I only want to go from gas to 12v when I start driving and back again when I stop. Thanks for pointing me to them anyway...

Hello Mark,

Yes I am afraid these kits have been discontinued as they were not entirely successful and there was little demand for them, although they do still appear on alot of Dometic literature.

regards

Kevin Wells
Leisure Spares Ltd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page