2.8 jtd performance - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 16-12-2004, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

2.8 jtd performance

Hi. New to motorhoming, but not to driving big stuff.
Got a 1yr old Fiat 2.8 jtd Bessacarr with 3100 on the clock from a reputable dealer.
Your colleagues in the Newcomers forum gave me some good advice, but you technical bods may be able to allay any fears that I might have bought a lemon.
It runs well in suburbia, and will accelerate strongly.
When it goes down-wind on fast roads it will pull 75 to 80, but into the wind it drops to 60 or less.
Uphill can also be a bit of a struggle.
Changing down to 4th helps a bit, but this is not what I sourced a 2.8 for.
Its going to a Fiat dealer for a check up (at my expense), but I shall return it to the seller for any work that is required.
Am I expecting too much from a coachbuilt?
Most reports suggest that these vehicles just go regardless of conditions.
I'm happy to cruise at 55 to 60 in normal practice, but need to know it will do a bit better when asked.
Anyone else had similar issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 16-12-2004, 07:24 PM

Hi Pianoman, Is the Turbo working properly? When you go up hill or it's pulling hard can you hear the whine of the Turbo? If not that's an area to get checked. I only have a 1.9TD Fiat Ducato and the performance you describe is similar to what I get. With a much bigger engine I would have thought you'd get much better performance.

Phil.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 16-12-2004, 07:35 PM

Diesel engines need to have run for 17000-18000 miles before they give their best performance I have been told
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 16-12-2004, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Hi Phil,
Thanks for response. I can hear the turbo, and can also feel it coming in when giving it some wellie.
If it's to do with the size and aerodynamics, it's something I'll live with; but if it's a fault I should expect it to be sorted for the money I've paid for this vehicle.
I've been unnerved by reports of infifferent quality control at Sevel, and I might just have a poor engine.
Perhaps I need to talk to the dealer, or the first owner to see why he sold it so soon.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 16-12-2004, 07:46 PM

I agree that Diesels need a fair bit of running in before they perform at their best, but it does seem as if you have a problem, if you can contact the original owner he might be able to help. I think that there are quite a few members on this site who have the 2.8 engine, so I expect some of them will post advice or details of their own vehicle's performance fairly soon.
Phil.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 16-12-2004, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for help

Thanks for interest and help.
I'll post what Fiat say to me once it's been tested.
Regards,
Paul.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 16-12-2004, 08:32 PM

Hi Pianoman,
We have a 2.8 JTD like you, it had done just over 4000 miles when we got it, and we had similar performance to you. Ours is a low profile Rapido so we have less wind resistance than you. We are up to nearly 8000 miles now, and can notice the engine is starting to loosen up, and it is revving more freely over 3000 RPM. There is also an improvement in the general drivability with less downshifts to maintain cruising speeds. I would guess that your motor is OK, I am sure you will see an improvement with more miles on it. Remember it is only 127 BHP at best hauling 3.5 tonnes, with the engine still tight you may only be getting 110 BHP. That's about the same as my 1 ton Astra with about 1/5 the frontal area!!
Get a chip if you want better performance, but wait until you have some more miles on the clock and you may find you are happy with what you have got.
Colin
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 16-12-2004, 09:37 PM

My detective powers have been taxed somewhat having trawled through copious quantities of blurb from mags, brochures and internet.
I have read of some people being highly delighted and others somewhat disappointed. I am looking at 4.5t tag axel jobbies anyone any comments on 2.8 in these motorhomes.

Can anyone comment on the short top gear available, does this provide better option?

Tester covering Niesman Bischoff said it was was lively with short gear and felt 18/20mpg acceptable to good at low miles.

Pianoman suggest you take it to dealer complaining you think something is wrong if it's under warranty they are unlikely to make a charge if they are local dealer and you are offering to return for regular servicing. If they don't try elsewhere.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 16-12-2004, 10:03 PM

Hi

I've got a tag axle 2.8 and would suggest that the performance you mention is acceptable. Dependant on how you are driving it you should see up to an average of 23 mpg.

Not sure of your reference to a short gear? a common complaint is that 5th is rather high.

John.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 16-12-2004, 10:18 PM

Hi eurajohn .

short 5th gear definetley available as factory order option on 2.8 Fiat.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page