Sat Nav with OS facility - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-04-2008, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Sat Nav with OS facility

Hi.Can anyone recommend a Sat Nav that has an Ordnance Survey grid reference search facility.The one i have at present just does Post Codes but not much good for finding farm CL,s with a limited address.Any help would be appreciated.

regards Rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-04-2008, 06:56 PM

Hi Rob

It depends what you mean by Sat Nav.

I have Microsoft Autoroute set up with GPS on the laptop in the van to use as a Sat Nav and that can search for any Ordnance Survey grid reference.

I also have Memory Map on the laptop and on my PDA. Memory Maps are based on OS maps so I can locate from them too.

If you already own a pda (pocket computer) there is a free converter program for it online Here <<,

If you have internet access on the move you could go to nearby.org <<<<< and use the, easy to use online converter, that you will find there. Or convert the locations on the PC at home before you set off.

Mike

Mike
When confronted by a problem, you can solve it easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger have handled this?"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-04-2008, 06:59 PM

Hi,

I have a Garmin nuvi 660 which has GPS co-ordinates and a format called British National Grid, but the format is different to an OS grid ref. There are three other GPS formats avialable. Not sure if this will help.

Regards.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-04-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi
Hi,

I have a Garmin nuvi 660 which has GPS co-ordinates and a format called British National Grid, but the format is different to an OS grid ref. There are three other GPS formats avialable. Not sure if this will help.

Regards.
This may be the answer to my question. I have been putting in lat and long into Google earth in the format that they appear in the C&CC book, (say 52.2278 -1.4471) but the location is often different, usually by about 1/2 mile or so, to the grid ref on OS maps. The post code usually brings up a third location not far away.

Can anyone offer another explanation?

Tco
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-04-2008, 07:35 PM

I have also found that the C&CC lat & long co-ords often do not correctly locate the sites in GE.

The advantage of GE is that you can often locate the site by scanning around the satellite image.

I'm fairly certain the problem is that the lat & long provided for some of the C&CC sites is inaccurate. I have recently transferred the campingcar-infos aires sites to GE. They distinguish between sites for which the GPS data has been verified and those that have not. All of the verified sites that I have checked in high resolution areas are spot on.

jem
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-04-2008, 10:15 PM

The inaccuracies you mention (i.e "half-a-mile out") are probably caused by the different geodetic datums used by the map maker or Google maps and the GPS receiver in use.

The most common datum is WGS-84 but there are hundreds of others in use around the world. I believe for land maps in the UK the datum is OSGB. Possibly, with Google Earth being an American company they use yet another datum, but I speculate. As an ocean navigator, I have to synchronize my chart plotter (or paper chart) with my GPS by telling the GPS what datum the chart was mapped with. Mostly commonly these days it is WGS-84 but on older charts it can be WGS-72. If not synchronized, inaccuracies at way-points or destinations can be of the magnitude or greater than you mention.

I have a Garmin 660 for land use in my car and MH and have used many other makes of satnavs. To the best of my knowledge none of these devices allows the user to nominate a particular geodetic datum, hence the slight inaccuracies.
PP
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-04-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelicanpete
To the best of my knowledge none of these devices allows the user to nominate a particular geodetic datum, hence the slight inaccuracies.
PP
Hi PP

Memory Map allows a choice, several built in choices and a facility to enter more ...see the screen shot below

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg position_format_112.jpg (136.8 KB, 14 views)

Mike
When confronted by a problem, you can solve it easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger have handled this?"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-04-2008, 12:38 AM

Hi Spykal,

That looks like a PC based system you use. That would certainly overcome the problem at hand. However, unless I'm mistaken, the self contained sat-navs most people in-car use won't have this facility.

For my next foray to the continent, I intend to equip my laptop with a nav. software programme and GPS antenna similar to yours.
PP
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-04-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelicanpete
Hi Spykal,

That looks like a PC based system you use. That would certainly overcome the problem at hand. However, unless I'm mistaken, the self contained sat-navs most people in-car use won't have this facility.
Hi PP

Yes that screen shot was from my PC but Memory Map runs on my Pocket PC too... a Mio 168 which has a built in GPS reciever. It also runs Tomtom but not simultaneously. I have a windscreen mount for use in the van. The only rider I would add is that using a Pocket PC does require quite some knowledge of the "how to" when it comes to dealing with the software and the hardware. It is more complicated to use and set up than a dedicated unit.

Mike

Mike
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-04-2008, 12:54 AM

lat long on gps

I also have Garmin Nuivi 660, but have not found the menu into lat/long. The only thing it responds to is city/postcode, street, number in street, most camp sites don't give this address and found in France and Spain difficulty in nailing exact position of sites. It appears when you buy these GPS's they are 2 or 3 years behind with updates. I appreciate the facility for downloading updates and POI's I have all our stops in Favourites, can I save these somewhere else on the GPS or just keep a written log of the full address and enter them when we need to use them again. A friend has the latest navman and it camp up with file for campsites amongst others. The Garmin does not have this. Admittedly I haven't had the time to read the manual(79pages) I find the Garmin tedious at times sending us a route we don't want to go-like through Paris to get to Amiens. But always use in conjection with a good large scale map.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page