Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Updating Garmin Zumo with new maps

785 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  robbosps 
#1 ·
I've spent 3 hours trying to get new maps onto the zumo550.

I've read some very techy stuff on a garmin users forum and didn't understand a word of it.

I'm waiting for Monday morning to phone garmin in the UK for help.

I'm wondering if anyone else has problems updating the maps on their garmin device?

I purchased nuMaps lifetime in 2012 and only the 2013 edition has actually worked!

#2 ·
I occassionaly do my friiends zumo (660 ?)for his motorbike

It takes a very long time compared to my tomtoms

So long that my pc was actually going into power sleep mode because i had just set it to run and walked away

It took a couple of goes when the update would fail before I realised this , so it may be worth you checking your computer to set it so the screen stays lit and that the pc doesnt go into suspend mode

#7 ·
I spent 3 hours on the phone with Garmin. After my 4th phone call, and me getting quite irate, the last lady was brave enough to be honest.

The zumo WONT take the whole of europe anymore. I would need to load different bits onto different memory cards ( nothing larger than 4gb ).

The product is now seen as quite old, and although i wasnt recommend to buy another one, there is only so much i can do with it.

To get more maps on cards, i was told to download the different maps to my computer using the Garmin Express software, and then using garmin maps software load them onto a memory card.

Its not perfect, but then the zumo was designed in 2006, and Europe is much larger now.

Im still a little miffed that the updating of maps isnt as simple as updating my iphone. Surely this is easy to do now ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.