Modifying your Motorhome for your dogs/cats - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 13-12-2008, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Modifying your Motorhome for your dogs/cats

We have 2 cats, and a german shep and black lab. All 4 are our babies and we normally take them everywhere they LOVE the car and are quite happy sitting there while you shop as they love going with us anywhere.

We will be picking up our aviano 675 which has an ok size garage big enough for them but I need to figure out the best way of us all travelling safely.

For the cats they are fine loose as they travel in the car that way and find a place to relax and sleep on their own but the dogs could be sliding around unsafely.

I thought airline style crates tied down in the garage, but the hubby points out they don't break down that easy when we get to where we are going so he suggests a metal cage but I am worried those aren't as safe.

We don't want to modify the entire garage as it's the only real storage space we will have so we need it for the pets but also for our stuff.

We also want to make a hatch from the main cabin to the garage like some motorhomes and even though the husband seems to think he can do it I would like to know if anyone can suggest a professional place to have this done.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 13-12-2008, 08:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rapide561
Hatch

Hi

A Burstner 747 recently came on site and I noticed it had windows in the garage door. I understand from my enquiries (downright plain noseyness) that this was done at Camper UK near Lincoln. Just a thought if you are to carry dogs in the garage.

As for the hatch, I think you would need to source some wood of an indentical match etc. I do not think the job would be too tricky though. As a side thought, my trap door from the garage t the habitation area is about 1 inch larger all round than the opening. It is also fitted with draught excluders etc.

Russell
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 13-12-2008, 08:40 AM

How about Dave Newell in Ironbridge/Telford?

If he cannot do it he should know someone that can.

http://www.davenewell.co.uk/index2.html

Tel:01952 587702

Mob:07891 441883
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 13-12-2008, 09:02 AM

We only have one dog but we use a harness and attach it to the lap belt on the forward facing dinette seat. We giver her enough slack to choose her most comfortable position and she is then safe and so are we

We saw in Portugal once a motorhome with a garage that had a gate on it so that the dogs could be contained when necessary but have plenty of fresh air when the door was opened. I don't know if they travelled like that though.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 13-12-2008, 09:20 AM

I know what you are going through, we have a german sheperd, we have adapted a metal cage to fit on the bottom bunk of our Roller Team 700, he loves it, he is in the M/H with us and its nice and snug in the cold. Good luck.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 13-12-2008, 09:39 AM
xgx

expanding on Patp's post....
Your pets have the potential to become missiles in the event of an accident, if they're travelling in the main hab area they should be secured for their own safety and yours.

...if you plan on taking them abroad apply for a second mortgage now

Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... luv ´em!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 13-12-2008, 12:29 PM
JQL

Travel Harness on inertia reel seat belt means he can sit and move about comfortably on the chair but is restrained under heavy breaking etc.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 13-12-2008, 01:50 PM

For our two sossies we have tried - dog seatbelts/harnesses but they ended up stangling themselves or the boys in the back, we tried a soft crate but Vicky (girl-dog) chewed the zip off and ended up looking at us stood on the table when we left her for a millisecond.

We now have a wire crate which folds down flat and inside they have a houge big cushion we took out the solid metal tray at the bottom because of weight and it folds flatish and acts as a dog gate between the cab and hab area. The travel very well in it its wedged between the cab and hab area and can't move because of the size of it - its a bit of a pain getting boys out but they got thinner legs than me and if we cover the dogs up it stops Sweepie howling for most of way. He seems to travel best in the dark for some reason.

It was very much trial and error and costly but got the crate from local garden centre and it couldn't have fit better if we tried with having two long dogs as well they can spread out and lay on their backs like they normally do whilst we travel.

Hope that helps and yes the noisy van going past is usually us!

Greenie & zoo
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 13-12-2008, 02:12 PM

Our 6st Labrador just curls up and has a kip on the cab floor while we travel. The only time he wakes up is when we stop or some food is on the go.

I know you should have dogs restrained but on the can floor he cant rely go far if we have to stop quick.

Richard...
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 13-12-2008, 03:06 PM

Ours is the same as Richards but if push came to shove I have one of those holes in the floor to put the table leg in -- about 15 quid-- this could easy be adapted with a bolt / hook in the bottom with which to secure a harness for the dogs.With the bonus that it would not look ugly or a mess !!
terry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page