Talbot Express Headlights - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Talbot Express Headlights

My Talbot Express is a J5 'Facelift' 1.9D '94 spec.

I noticed today that the bottom of my headlight lens was loose - on inspection, the assembly holding and tensioning the light was U/S. (They look like a big butterfly type corkscrew).

Delfin gave me a really nifty tip to patch it - but I'd like new fixings (which Peugeot no longer make), as mine have the strength of a cream cracker..

Has anyone replaced the fixings, headlights or both, and if so with what? I'd prefer to exchange for new parts over secondhand if possible. - No expense spared for the old girl. 'Cool' headlights????

I'm ringing Beevers at Barnsley tomorrow - but any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks guys, - Helena.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:12 PM

Hi Helena

I've bought a couple of secondhand bits for my Talbot Express on Ebay (wing mirror and replacement seat belt).

I've found a seller on Ebay that is selling brand new headlights for the Talbot Express 1982-1994 but they are not cheap.

They are selling left and right headlights and have a good user rating which is important.

::Ebay Talbot Express Head Lights::

Hope this helps,
Julie
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to annetony
Hi Helena, try this site http://www.no1gear.com/index.html he is a mindful of info and we have just bought a new backlight from him, he does these vans up and what he doesnt know isn't worth knowing.

he has saved us money by telling us what was wrong when we had an oil leak, when the garage thought it was comeing from a certain place he told the mechanic to check the breather pipes, and Tony did it himself, sure enough one of them was completely blocked, we replaced it and cleaned the other and now no oil leak

Anne
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both very much. I'm trying to do a bit at a time, and aim for new each time if poss. Good of you to help.

Picture it: Pull up at the lights, (or rally is worse) - SMACK! - Both headlights drop out onto floor!!!!!!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:03 PM

Talbot Headlight Solution?

This may or may not work but it might be worth a thought.
I have a Hymer on a Peugeot J5 Chassis, similar to the Ducato, Citreon C25 and the Talbot.
I'ts LHD and i imported it 4 years ago.
When i took it for a first MOT i simply swung the headlights around on the adjusters to point the beams in the right direction.
When i called to see if all was well the tester said he had adjusted the headlights and it had passed. Great!
It passed with no problems for the next 3 years.
This year one of the lights needed replacing as the mirrored internal had dulled significantly.
No problem.
I bought a new lamp from Germany, 40 delivered, and fitted it prior to the MOT.
It was taken to a different tester who adjusted the headlight and fitted basic deflectors to the lenses. It passed.

I rarely use the motorhome at night so paying some rip-off merchant 80 for a headlight or even worse a secondhand headlight did not sit well with me.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! - I am still on with this problem, as they held together for last years MOT. But I'll have to sort it out for this year properly! Much appreciate the advice.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 12:48 PM

My offside headlight is slightly loose but has not failed an MOT yet (1994 Fiat based Kontiki). I purchased a new headlight from DAF trucks who had them on the shelf. Cannot remember the part number but the sales assistant new it was for an aging Fiat, cost about 77. If you need the part number let me know and I will get it for you.
Ian
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

It's the tensioner assembly that's the worst problem - but I'm no mechanic and I'm not sure if you can get it without buying the whole headlight new as a kit.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:15 PM

Had the bad news the other day that my Talbot Express had failed its mot on[u] "the headlight being excessivly deteriorated so that the light output is severely reduced"[/U.

After searching for days, and being unable to find a pair of headlights for less than 199.00, we came up with a brainwave.

We broke the seal on the headlamp, which is only Silicone, and lined the inside of the headlamp with silver tape, sealed it back up with Silicone, and put them back in.

It went back in for Re-Test today, and flew through, thought i would share it, so someone else could save some money.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:48 PM

Try sales@Ihdmotorhomes.com, or call stewart on 07789 465380 (9.00am to 9.00pm) it might be a bit hard conntacting him on the mobile but it's worth persevering!

Got h/lights from him3 years ago for just under 70, also sells body bits bumpers door mirrors and long arm mirrors

Good to deal with C/cards taken on phone

Snail Mail; Water End Farm, Ovington , Thetford , IP25 6RZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page