Alde's TPS5000 Frost Protection - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Alde's TPS5000 Frost Protection

All you people with the Alde wet central heating system (3000/3010) may be interested to hear about the TPS5000. This is an optional controller available from Alde. In addition to its features of allowing 7 day variable control over heating on/off times and temperatures there is a little known feature called frost protection.

Once configured, frost protection will automatically fire up the Alde whenever the MH internal temperature drops below the factory set 5 degrees centigrade (or any other value you care to set) Over the past couple of weeks this little accessory has kicked in and protected our MH from any potential frost damage with no intervention from ourselves and at very little cost.

It works on any of the Alde Compact systems so owners of Carthago, Concorde, Dethleffs, N+B, Autocruise, Frankia and others can protect their investments at little cost with no need to drain systems etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 24-11-2010, 10:27 PM

Info .pdf

Info link Here

Can this Replace the simplified Alde controller as used by Frankia Pete?

.pdf info file

TM
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 24-11-2010, 10:44 PM

Re: Alde's TPS5000 Frost Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vennwood
All you people with the Alde wet central heating system (3000/3010) may be interested to hear about the TPS5000. This is an optional controller available from Alde. In addition to its features of allowing 7 day variable control over heating on/off times and temperatures there is a little known feature called frost protection.

Once configured, frost protection will automatically fire up the Alde whenever the MH internal temperature drops below the factory set 5 degrees centigrade (or any other value you care to set) Over the past couple of weeks this little accessory has kicked in and protected our MH from any potential frost damage with no intervention from ourselves and at very little cost.

It works on any of the Alde Compact systems so owners of Carthago, Concorde, Dethleffs, N+B, Autocruise, Frankia and others can protect their investments at little cost with no need to drain systems etc.

Cheers Pete
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 24-11-2010, 11:24 PM

My Motorhome: Burstner Delphin Performance T821
I might look into one of these.

When I read through the instructions for the Compact system, if you wanted to run the heating at a low setting (for frost protection) it seems wise to have water in the boiler (not essential but I would not do it)

The setting for radiators only, means that the circulation pump runs continuously and ignores the thermostat setting. It only works off the thermostat when set to heating/hot water.

These are the 2 things that put me off. First an expensive circulating pump to renew (after continuous running) OR leaving water in the fresh water tank and boiler.

Pump failure could give you a very hefty bill.

A cheap oil filled radiator might still be a handy option as mine is on the drive but this bit of kit could be very handy for a lot of owners.

I'm ignoring Daffodil.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 25-11-2010, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747
I might look into one of these.

When I read through the instructions for the Compact system, if you wanted to run the heating at a low setting (for frost protection) it seems wise to have water in the boiler (not essential but I would not do it)

The setting for radiators only, means that the circulation pump runs continuously and ignores the thermostat setting. It only works off the thermostat when set to heating/hot water.

These are the 2 things that put me off. First an expensive circulating pump to renew (after continuous running) OR leaving water in the fresh water tank and boiler.

Pump failure could give you a very hefty bill.

A cheap oil filled radiator might still be a handy option as mine is on the drive but this bit of kit could be very handy for a lot of owners.
That's one of the real benefits of the TPS5000 system as it only switches on the heating if the temperature (internal MH temperature) drops below 5 degrees. It then switches on the central heating and pump and when the temp rises above 5 degrees it switches off again. The 5 degrees is adjustable from 5 to 10 degrees.

Under normal operation the circulation pump only works when the room temperature is below that selected by the TPS5000.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

The TPS5000 has earned its pay this past week. The frost setting has been working fine, keeping the internal temp at +5 degrees and working very economically with outside temps down to -9 last nightr

Last night the smart meter showed electricity came on for approx 10 mins every hour

Well worth the money
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:20 PM

Alde Timer ?

Hi Vennwood......great posting, thanks. The basic controller on our Alde Compact 3000 is supported with a ZS10 Alde timer (see below), which borders on useless. It has weird functionality which I won't go into here, and does not control the pump. In other words the pump runs continuously whether heat is required or not. The timer merely switches the boiler on/off at the preselected times. As a consequence we never use it. Currently looking into fitting a TPS5000 controller which seems to shut off the whole heating system including the pump when heat is not required plus the added bonus of frost protection........Crindle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alde_programmer._152.jpg (880.5 KB, 0 views)
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:16 PM

another option may be to swop the ALDE manual control panel for the electronic version

this would allow you to set the minimum temperature to 5'C so when it dropped below this either the gas or electric would fire up & the pump start

I swopped it out on my Frankia 3010 bolier (very easy)- though you have to also change the cable between the control panel & the boiler

i am sure ALDE UK could advise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg electronic_control_panel_997.jpg (2.1 KB, 2164 views)
File Type: jpg manual_control_panel_150.jpg (2.3 KB, 2164 views)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:24 PM

ALDE

Any indication of Price trek?

TM
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:49 PM

Hi TM

3010-213 DIGITAL CONTROL PANEL £98.00

prices EX VAT from ALDE UK's web site !

Also required :-

The manual panel is connected to the 3010 boiler by a cable with several black wires in a bundle this is removed & replaced with a single white multi-core cable if changing to the 3010-213 electronic panel

choose the cable length required :-

3010-215 CONNECTOR CABLE BETWEEN BOILER AND CONTROL PANEL 3010-213/413 2.5M £13.60
3010-216 CONNECTOR CABLE BETWEEN BOILER AND CONTROL PANEL 3010-213/413 5.0M £14.80
3010-217 CONNECTOR CABLE BETWEEN BOILER AND CONTROL PANEL 3010-213/413 8.5M £18.40

The digital control panel was the same external dimensions as the manual one I replaced but the new panel was deeper so I had to add an extra small piece of timber to make the hole deeper behind the new panel

Can't comment on the newer 3010-413 square touch screen panel though it looks very neat

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page