Motorhome Facts Forum banner

My Beer Collection

93K views 440 replies 46 participants last post by  ralph-dot 
#1 ·
Dot says I am sad but I get to drink lots of different beers.

Over the last few years I have been collecting photos of every new beer I have tried.

I now have over 780 individual beers photographed and have realised that many beers that I assumed I have photos of, I haven't, so the quest continues.

I do not have the ability to describe all the various tastes, I just know what I like, I don't even concentrate on analysing taste too much, I just think to myself "that's good, I'll have another one of them" or "that's nasty never again" or worst of all "that's bland why bother". If I do ever acquire a better ability, I will add to the descriptions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralph-dot/sets/72157625483577134/

#2 ·
Great hobby and reminds me of the first few visits to beer festivals where we tried drinking in half pints, taking copious notes and discussing the finer points of each one.
This usually lasted about 20 minutes and after half an hour who cares!
My favourite at the moment is a german beer - DAB
Bob

#3 ·
My favourite at the moment and cant get enough of it is Adnams Broadside. I will travel far and wide for the stuff. 8)

I had a few pints last night-I was drinking "Rucking Mole", just got to be very careful how you say that one, especially after a few. :lol:

Steve

#6 ·
Hi,

Nowt sad about that at all. I prefer to have a different pint of "real ale" every time I go the bar. Though I have to admit if I am drinking in the house I stick to bottles of Wheat Beer.

Have you ever been to the Real Ale festival that they have at Long Itchington each May Bank Holiday?

#7 ·
Ian_n_Suzy said:
Hi,

Nowt sad about that at all. I prefer to have a different pint of "real ale" every time I go the bar. Though I have to admit if I am drinking in the house I stick to bottles of Wheat Beer.

Have you ever been to the Real Ale festival that they have at Long Itchington each May Bank Holiday?
Never been, it's a bit far for me.

Although I love "Real Ales" (Craft Beers in the USA), I can not agree with the concept, beer is beer, good beer is good beer and bad beer is bad beer, no mater what you call it or how it is made. To me it is all in the taste and not in a perceived category. In Germany they make beer properly but most of it is lager (love Wheat Beers as well), so I hope everyone can see what I mean. What if I gave a beer a miss because it wasn't "Real Ale" and it was the best tasting beer in the world, lol.

#10 ·
ralph-dot said:
Dot says I am sad but I get to drink lots of different beers.

Over the last few years I have been collecting photos of every new beer I have tried.

I now have over 780 individual beers photographed and have realised that many beers that I assumed I have photos of, I haven't, so the quest continues.

I do not have the ability to describe all the various tastes, I just know what I like, I don't even concentrate on analysing taste too much, I just think to myself "that's good, I'll have another one of them" or "that's nasty never again" or worst of all "that's bland why bother". If I do ever acquire a better ability, I will add to the descriptions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralph-dot/sets/72157625483577134/
Try Innes & Gunn beats the Adnams stuff....OPPS sorry I suppose geraldandannie will accuse me of favouring Northern beers over southern ones, I am probably a beer racist or something

#12 ·
Have you ever tried Adnams winter warmer I think its called Tally Ho. One of the few English 7% beers that is easily drinkable. Otherwise I agree Broadside is difficult to beat. I am lucky in that I live very close to the pub that started the Hopback brewery (so I have been drinking Summer Lightning and Crop Circle for many years) whose beers give Adnams a run for their money

#13 ·
sallytrafic said:
Have you ever tried Adnams winter warmer I think its called Tally Ho. One of the few English 7% beers that is easily drinkable. Otherwise I agree Broadside is difficult to beat. I am lucky in that I live very close to the pub that started the Hopback brewery (so I have been drinking Summer Lightning and Crop Circle for many years) whose beers give Adnams a run for their money
Not yet but McEwan's Champion No1, at 7.3% (Scottish though) is very good.

#16 ·
sallytrafic said:
Summer lightning is another stunner for me Frank. Good call. :D

Steve

#19 ·
I take it that none of you have been to belgium to sample their alcoholic beverages.

Trappist beers......up to 14% alcohol

My favourite Duvel (Devil) beer......10%

You can go into a place that looks like a restaurant in Bruges and they give you the menu. No food, just pages and pages of different beer from all around the world.

I only went to Belgium for work reasons. The beer must have been good because I still got to work the next day. Bad beer makes that unlikely.

BTW, if you like good lager, buy Tsingtao (available in bottles from Sainsbury). It is the only thing the Chinese do well. :lol:

#21 ·
Have you tried any Japanese beers? I worked over there in a couple of stints, and although I found Kirin a bit too dry, Sapporo was just lovely :)

And as for the "beer barbecue" (cooking meat, fish and vegetables in a pot of bubbling beer in the middle of the table) - gorgeous!

Gerald

#22 ·
747 said:
I take it that none of you have been to belgium to sample their alcoholic beverages.

You can go into a place that looks like a restaurant in Bruges and they give you the menu. No food, just pages and pages of different beer from all around the world.

I only went to Belgium for work reasons. The beer must have been good because I still got to work the next day. Bad beer makes that unlikely.

BTW, if you like good lager, buy Tsingtao (available in bottles from Sainsbury). It is the only thing the Chinese do well. :lol:
When I alluded to undrinkable 7% beers I was careful to say English to allow all the Belgium ones to escape my censure.

In the early 70's when there were only 4 microbreweries in pubs (and the term microbrewery hadn't yet been coined) Camra produced an excellent publication listing every pint in UK.

Surprise surprise most of the beers called 'Old ........ ' aren't listed and a 7% beer well there was a small selection of Barley Wines. Most beers with names like that are are just marketing ploys.

A newcomer brand that I do enjoy is Bath Ales est 1995

#24 ·
sallytrafic said:
747 said:

When I alluded to undrinkable 7% beers I was careful to say English to allow all the Belgium ones to escape my censure.

In the early 70's when there were only 4 microbreweries in pubs (and the term microbrewery hadn't yet been coined) Camra produced an excellent publication listing every pint in UK.

Surprise surprise most of the beers called 'Old ........ ' aren't listed and a 7% beer well there was a small selection of Barley Wines. Most beers with names like that are are just marketing ploys.

A newcomer brand that I do enjoy is Bath Ales est 1995
I stock up in Belgium most years.

Beers can now be brewed to over 40% but cost about the same in £s as the strength.

#25 ·
ralph-dot said:
Not yet but McEwan's Champion No1, at 7.3% (Scottish though) is very good.

And available at Mr & Mrs Morrisons corner shop emporium @ 4 for £5. :thumbleft:

I too like Broadside and Tally Ho. My favourite German beer is Erdinger's Weissbier Dunkel.

And in the trappist range, I like all the Chimays and Leffe Blond or Brune.
I have a bottle of Kastell in my garage at 11% which I am keeping for a special occasion.

I also have a bottle of Fullers Brewers Reserve (oak aged) at 8.2%. I did have two, but I drank the other one at Christmas time. :lol:

Cheers, (literally)

Jock.

#26 ·
Is it possible to obtain "Winter Warmer" or "Stingo" sold as little bottles of beer in the 60s. Very strong and full of taste, unless my memory is playing cruel tricks on me.

Broadside or Abbott are my current favourites in the villages around here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.