12 volt slow cooker - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-09-2005, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

12 volt slow cooker

Now that the cooler days are imminent I was thinking it would be nice to have a slow cooker in the van , going away for the weekend on the Friday put something in the slow cooker transfer to van and then when we arrive no cooking as the slow cooker has done it. What I would like to know is are the 12 volt ones any good doing a net search I see that Towsure do one for 29.99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-09-2005, 06:57 PM

Just a thought...wouldn't you have to cook it in the 240v slow cooker at home and then transfer it, almost cooked, to the 12v one for travel ? Have you got a 12v supply at home or would you put it in the van during the day ?

Wouldn't it be easier to cook it at home and then transfer it in a wide topped flask or even cold to heat up in a pan when you get there ?

That said, a slow cooked meal ready for arrival is an excellent idea .

G
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-09-2005, 07:09 PM

Slow cooker is good idea, personally I would buy a 240volt one, (Lidle were doing one for a tenner, Argos about 20) and use with an invertor.. A cheap invertor would be fine if you don't have one ..

Jim
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-09-2005, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

The way I was thinking was this - The van is usually on hook-up on the Friday to get the fridge down to temp. so it would'nt be that much of a hardship to have it started in the van
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-09-2005, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Shame George is bannned at the mo , he would be able to tell me how much load on the invertor would be and if it required a pure sine wave or not
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-09-2005, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmike
Shame George is bannned at the mo , he would be able to tell me how much load on the invertor would be and if it required a pure sine wave or not
Just check the wattage on the data plate ..add about 25% , it doesn't have to be pure sine wave
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-09-2005, 09:03 PM

ok guys whats a sine wave (something us mhmers do?) lol
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-09-2005, 09:05 PM

Although I have not used one myself it has been mentioned many times that the Remoska slow cooker was very good,one person used to put the food in the cooker place the cooker in the sink and allow it to cook whilst traveling( using the inverter), the cooker draws 500Watts @240V. so a 600Watt inverter should suit.

KenS.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-09-2005, 09:11 PM

So many people rave about the Remoska cooker that I feel it would answer all my prayers ! It is however very expensive. Can anyone explain what makes it so superior to much cheaper electric frying pans ? Is it better built ? Easier to clean ? Why does it apparently cook better ?

G.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 13-09-2005, 10:53 PM

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
As with all domestic cooking appliances, you can run one on an invertor but not for long! A 500 watt appliance will need a 600 watt (continuous, not peak) invertor which will draw something in the order of 50 amps from a 12v battery. If you have a 100 amp leisure battery then you will exhaust a fully charged battery in prime condition within one hour, probably much less as you will hit the invertor cut-off voltage quite quickly. If you have a high capacity alternator then you would probably be OK with the engine running but it isn't really feasible for a M/H with a "normal" leisure battery arrangement. Those of you with banks of 10+ high capacity leisure batteries can ignore this - but you know that already don't you?

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page