Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Do you use takeaway delivery services when away from home??

5K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  aldra 
#1 ·
Never really thought about this, I know I tried ringing a firm whilst on a caravan club site and they didn't know where it was!

But if you get a night when no one fancies cooking and perhaps you've had a glass or two then my question is " which one would you use, did it work and what was the cost?"
Showing my age now, but I think the youngsters do it (phone ordering ) all the time

Mike & Ann

#15 · (Edited)
When we had a really busy night at work and no chance to get off ward for meal we used to order in food. Hospital put a stop to staff doing so, but not parents, patients or relatives, :wink2:
C&CC dont allow supermarket deliveries well not in Scarborough, had never thought of getting one, but they said it had 'got out of hand'

#5 ·
No

Never at home either

We always have enough fresh ingredients for either of us to knock up some sort of a meal - minimum would be pasta, oinion, garlic, basil and Parmesan. But these are always in stock. We can usually do better than than that, even without planning.

In France, within reach of a market, Basia can equal a restaurant - she taught her now professional Chef son to cook.

I use to do home delivery for Tesco and I Cringed, Cringed I tell you, at what some families were feeding their children on.

Geoff

#6 ·
When away, invariably over the water, we use local restaurants, we believe in supporting the local economy.

tony

Reactions: Jamsieboy
#7 ·
We've never used one but I have seen plenty of flyers for firms who do deliver takeaways both in UK and the rest of Europe.

One advert we still remember was the restaurant in Modena who would collect you by car from the aire there and deliver you back if you booked a table with them.

I've only ever had one delivery at home: 15 years ago, OH away and I needed cheering. It was a well- known pizza delivery firm and the food was unspeakably awful, flabby and lukewarm. Expensive too. Perhaps things have improved ?

#9 ·
Never order take-away, any time, anywhere.

I'm with the cook it fresh gang. In fact, we tend to only go to restaurants these days where I know they cook a cuisine I'm not so familiar with. In Leicester that was nearly always Indian food, but I'm a dad hand a curry these days, so in Cambridge it's Korean food for us!

Abroad we love markets and shopping for food.

Lesley

#10 ·
When I was self-employed I could claim expenses on prepared food but not on fresh DIY stuff, so yes: I've used delivery services to get dinner delivered, especially if I didn't fancy driving anywhere. Sometimes they wouldn't come onto site (sometimes because of "site rules") so I used to walk to the gate to collect. (Thank goodness [or scientists/engineers?] for mobile phones.)

On a more general "delivery" theme, I ordered £150 worth of wine from Tesco one Xmas. When it hadn't arrived 2days after expected, I rang and was told "your wife refused to accept it and sent the driver away". It then transpired that they'd tried to deliver to the wrong address :surprise:. Hands up all those who would turn away £150 worth of "free" booze just a few days before Xmas >:).

Gordon

#16 ·
It is nearly 30 years for me also. I was going for a drink(s) with some pilot colleagues, who when they are not flying next day can sink a few. So I decided to have a 'defensive' McDonalds. 4 pints later set off home, stopped to leave message for someone at wine bar, 3 glasses of wine later, was stopped by Panda car because he had spotted tax disc out of date in Station CP. Breathalysed, not shown reading but let go on my way. He did not stop me for bad driving.

Obviously did better than when I fell asleep after I had done landing at Manchester after 3 night flights - Capt. had taken over only nose-wheel steering wheel.

McDonalds have their uses.:wink2::smile2:

#14 ·
We use them occasionally when away.

The best bet is to ask in reception if you are on a campsite as the wardens/owners there will know who delivers and usually can suggest which ones are nice (or not). Have the post code/address of the site handy and get the delivery person to ring you when 5 mins away so you can wait at the entrance.

If we are away for 3 nights we will eat in the MH on nights 1 and 3 and usually treat ourselves if near a pub/restaurant or if there is a takeaway that we fancy that deliver. Another treat option are these box meals that all the big supermarkets do...Indian or Chinese meals: usually 2 mains and rice/noodles etc for about £6-7.

In summer we do less of this as its usually BBQ's all the way...

Graham :smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.