Motorhome Facts Forum banner

BFold 500 folding bike from Decathlon, any good?

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  TheNomad 
#1 ·
Am looking at buying a folding bike to use when on tour in the motorhome. It does have to be compact and very lightweight, as it'll have to live in the overcab of our MH when we are travelling.
One option that I'm considering is the Bfold 500 model, from Decathlon for about 280 euros (we live in Spain).
I wondered if anyone has any experience of this bike, or could recommend another 20 inch wheel, very lightweight similar bike at under 250 quid?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/bfold-500-folding-bike-grey-id_8328466.html

#2 · (Edited)
I've got a similar bike, just last years colour and name, I bought it second hand( unused) to replace one I had bought from intersport and this ones a lot better built and better quality and better gear shifter but not used it yet. I changed because the original one was taller when folded and wouldn't go into the fiamma back box I bought:frown2:
You have to be careful because they do two bike that look the same just one has ally frame and one is steel and is heavier and not the same gear shift.

#3 ·
Update - thanks for the response.

Got pretty good response feedback from others on a couple of other forums too about this bike model, so went ahead and bought a Decathlon Bfold 500 today.
279 euros, inc free led front and rear light set.

Initial feeling after half an hour on it (after having properly set it up/adjusted brakes, drivetrain etc, and tightened numerous bolts, to put right what the spotty youth 'expert' had done wrong in the shop), is actually very positive.

Sure, it's a lot more twitchy than a 700 wheeled bike, but it's comfy enough for occasional, perhaps 1 hour at a time trips; the 7 speed gearing is certainly OK for normal road riding. Rear rack is actually quite substantial for carrying several wine boxes etc.
It assembles/folds down very quickly and neatly in maybe 1 minute, and it's light enough to easily lift up into the Luton overcab in our MH.

The only adjustment is saddle height ( the handlebars are fixed height), and the saddle stem is marked with heights, so will be easy for both I and Kathy to both use it by just adjusting saddle to the preferred height of each of us.

If it gets nicked at some future point, I suppose that at the price it wouldn't be the very end of the world.

Happy bunny so far...........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.