Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Italian Grand Prix Formula 1 Advice needed

13K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  teljoy 
#1 ·
Not sure what topic to put this under.

In September we will be celebrating our golden wedding anniversary and a special numbered birthday for Joy.

Thinking of booking tickets for the grandstand at Monza for friday through sunday (5th to 7th Sept). Will probably book through the formula one website at www.CampingF1.com as they also have a camping ground nearby with coach trips to the autodrome.
Then on Monday we could continue our September trip back through France.

Have had an email from them stating that all can be booked through them. I know it's expensive but it is a one off experience. Has anyone any knowledge of this website or actually used them. They seem OK but if any of you guys have experience of them it would be comforting.

Thanks
Terry

#2 ·
They check out as a company:

CAMPING F1 LTD
c/o HARGREAVES & CO
THE CHARMWOOD CENTRE SOUTHAMPTON ROAD
BARTLEY
SOUTHAMPTON
UNITED KINGDOM
SO40 2NA
Company No. 06590611

... and registered the company in 2008. I can't find any trading history as yet. My fault.

Colin

#4 ·
camallison said:

CAMPING F1 LTD
c/o HARGREAVES & CO
BARTLEY
SOUTHAMPTON
UNITED KINGDOM
SO40 2NA
Company No. 06590611

... and registered the company in 2008. I can't find any trading history as yet. My fault.

Colin
Thanks Colin, that's probably the sort of information I need. They seem to get quite a few guest speakers at the campsite and it all seems reasonably professional.

Terry

#5 ·
teljoy said:
camallison said:

CAMPING F1 LTD
c/o HARGREAVES & CO
BARTLEY
SOUTHAMPTON
UNITED KINGDOM
SO40 2NA
Company No. 06590611

Colin
Thanks Colin, that's probably the sort of information I need. They seem to get quite a few guest speakers at the campsite and it all seems reasonably professional.

Terry
I have also asked a mate, the former Tech Director of Super Aguri F1, by email. He will know if they are genuine, as he still has his ear firmly to the camshaft cover.

Colin

#8 ·
Stanner said:
The reviews for Spa on their own site don't look too good.

https://www.bookf1.com/f1-belgium/reviews.htm?sortBy=&overallRating=1

But I can only find reviews of Belgium - nothing else. :?
Many of those complaints were about facilities provided by track management, not campingF1. Spa is also a notorious track for wet, soggy conditions.

As for lack of facilities, not unusual for a European Grand Prix venue.

Camping in their tents - you expect to rough it.

Colin

#12 ·
Ian_n_Suzy said:
I have been to Spa along with 3 mates, and we used Camping F1 and everything was fine with the excursion. This was circa 6 years ago.
Thanks to everyone for their input.

As I can telephone Camping F1 which has a London number and I can speak to someone without the problems of being misunderstood I will probably go for that option. Although the campsite is only 4 km from the autodromo there is a coach option which can be booked. I can also buy the whole package, tickets,campsite and coach transfers.

The other option kindly provided by Stanner looks interesting as it is in the autodromo so could not be closer. It has an italian telephone number so with my poor grasp of italian I could be ordering a large delivery of spaghetti instead of F1 tickets. However it is something to consider.

Any further opinions will be welcome as I probably will not be telephoning till Monday.

Once again thanks to all . This is another benefit of MHF which I could not do without.

Terry

#14 ·
I went to Monza last year booked in the Autodrome camping and bought tickets from the official web site all via e-mail .
I have also been to Spa with F1camping no problem but it was wet ( not their fault !) .
In Italy F1's camping is more than a walk away from the circuit , the autodrome camping could not be closer and there are bars and a suoermarket in walking distance .
You pay your money and make your choice . i'd go back to the autodrome but if its your first time and you want it all sorting for you go F1camping .
Motor Racing is expensive , SWMBO keeps reminding me of that . I am sure you will have a good time .

#15 ·
I forgot to mention, a guy I parked up next to at Silverstone last year had stickers on his Van from numerous motor racing events. Upon chatting with him he told me he went to Monza in his Van the previous year, and stayed on the official circuit camping.

In the end he sold his Grandstand Tickets as he had a better view stood on the roof of his Van which was directly alongside one of the corners.

#16 ·
biggles777 said:
I went to Monza last year booked in the Autodrome camping and bought tickets from the official web site all via e-mail .
I have also been to Spa with F1camping no problem but it was wet ( not their fault !) .
In Italy F1's camping is more than a walk away from the circuit , the autodrome camping could not be closer and there are bars and a suoermarket in walking distance .
You pay your money and make your choice . i'd go back to the autodrome but if its your first time and you want it all sorting for you go F1camping .
Motor Racing is expensive , SWMBO keeps reminding me of that . I am sure you will have a good time .
Thanks for the advice. I realise that the TV at home is better but it's the experience we want and yes, it's nice to get it all sorted particularly for an anniversary and a birthday. Id hate for it to go pearshaped.

Terry

#17 ·
Ian_n_Suzy said:
I forgot to mention, a guy I parked up next to at Silverstone last year had stickers on his Van from numerous motor racing events. Upon chatting with him he told me he went to Monza in his Van the previous year, and stayed on the official circuit camping.

In the end he sold his Grandstand Tickets as he had a better view stood on the roof of his Van which was directly alongside one of the corners.
I think I'm going to stick with F1 Camping. Can't see my missus standing on the roof of the van.

Terry

#18 ·
I would not recommend Autodromo terrible toilet facilities overflowing drains and really noisy I like a bit of music but what goes on there is just crazy !! Re Monza not the best circuit for spectators as it is a fast circuit with limited decent places to watch any overtaking but its just my opinion!

#19 ·
Last time I did Monza, my vehicle got broken into and I never did get to sit in the seat I booked.

If you get grandstand tickets, arrive early or somebody else will be sitting in your seat and they can be difficult to remove!!!!

During the race the local riff-raff know you aren't home and help themselves to anything they can get their hands on!

The local police are far to busy to bother and will definitely not be able to understand you, even if you speak Italian!!!

Hence I've been to Spa 10 times, Hockenheim 6 times, Zeltweg 5 times, Nurburgring 8 times, Monza once..............

#21 ·
cater_racer said:
Last time I did Monza, my vehicle got broken into and I never did get to sit in the seat I booked.

If you get grandstand tickets, arrive early or somebody else will be sitting in your seat and they can be difficult to remove!!!!

During the race the local riff-raff know you aren't home and help themselves to anything they can get their hands on!

The local police are far to busy to bother and will definitely not be able to understand you, even if you speak Italian!!!

Hence I've been to Spa 10 times, Hockenheim 6 times, Zeltweg 5 times, Nurburgring 8 times, Monza once..............
missbusybusy" said:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was concerned about security. Was this at the campsite on Via
Lambro about 4km from the autodromo? Do you know what security is like there? It has to be Monza as the anniversary is in September.

#23 ·
Update now that Monza race is over

Thanks to all those who gave helpful comments. We really enjoyed our trip to Monza and our "meet and greet" with Martin Brundell. The day was extremely hot but did not deter us from enjoying the experience especially sitting in the posh seats overlooking the start.

The result was good as Lewis beat Rosberg. F1 Camping organised our three day experience very well and we were pleased with them.

We are now making our way slowly back home through France and currently in the Dordogne region enjoying the sun. A good end to our anniversary celebration.

Terry and Joy

#25 ·
Teljoy

Any chance you can give me a little more information

We have decided on Monza for next years F1 trip and need a space for a 7.5 meter motorhome

Not really worried about facilities as we always use our own and will easily have plenty of water etc for a 3 or 4 day stay.

Any tips greatly appreciated

#26 ·
We booked with CampingF1.com for the three days as it was our first experience of Live Grandprix and our 50th anniversary. So we pushed the boat out and booked the posh seats in front of the start line. If we did it again we would probably go to a slower circuit as the seats are on the straight and the circuit very fast so the cars are past in a flash.

Cheaper seats and a choice of the corners is a better bet to see the action.
Not complaining as it was an enjoyable experience.
We stayed on the campsite booked through CampingF1 which was in the grounds of the Ristorante Venus on Via Lambro about 4 Kilometres away but there is a free bus laid on. The Campsite is just a big field with water,toilets and showers. A terrific atmosphere and very friendly.
Also as we are older people being away from the circuit at night is a lot more peaceful. You can get meals in the Ristorante and when we went there was a meet and greet with Martin Brundle which was an added bonus.

Check out the website http://www.campingf1.com/events/italian_grand_prix

they have a london number and are very helpful. Let me know if you need any more info..

Terry

#27 ·
We went this year and stayed on the site actually at the circuit - a bit expensive and very noisy at night with lots of music and partying until the early hours, but very convenient for the track - we could see the cars go past from our pitch, and we didn't even pay extra to park against the fence separating the site form the actual track.

We went for General Access tickets so we could go where we wanted, outside of the main Grandstands - there are a lot of mini-stands you can use but you need to get to them very early on race day to get a seat! If you get General Access tickets for the whole weekend then on Friday (F1 practice and other formulas practice and qualifying) you can even use the main Grandstands.

If we went again we would probably opt for Camping F1 as the site on the circuit was definitely for the younger fans :-(

Would agree with Terry, don't get tickets for grandstands on the straights, you don't see much. My recommendation would be Grandstand 9 at Seconda Variante (the 2nd chicane) - there you get a good view of the cars coming out of the high-speed Curva Grande and along the straight before braking hard into the chicane. There tends to be a lot of action there ;-)

Have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.