Roof Cleaning. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Roof Cleaning.

Hi all.......a recent posting associated with access to the roofs of motor caravans mainly for cleaning, led on to much discussion around access. I was surprised how many owner’s risk walking on the roof for cleaning; hazardous bordering on dangerous IMO. How is it possible to do a good job on a wet, slipy swaying roof with tripping hazards every few feet ? Having just completed the first bi-annual roof clean, thought I would share a tried and tested approach adopted over many years, not totally risk free but pretty safe IMO.
Our van roof is quite high at 3.29m (10.8ft) but investment in a good set of industrial steps was a great start. I use Youngmans class 1 Industrial Platform Steps (12 step) the largest they do, which gets me safely well above the roof line and able comfortably reach to the centre of the roof from either side. See Youngmans web site for the full selection from 4 to 12 step. Apparently some hire centre’s do have a selection but not in our locality unfortunately. Slight problem with storage but otherwise well worth the purchase. Hope this is of some help........Crindle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006_424.jpg (919.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 001_114.jpg (947.4 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 PM

My Motorhome: Burstner ixeo
Nice job Crindle just be careful though you have left some photographic evidence there . Recently on a site i was told by health and safety police while i was doing a small job on my own industrial strength steps that they are not allowed on site and i had to set a scaffold up ,never the less i told them to **** off.I do my mhome roof the same way as you ,if the fun police lock you up i will come and break you out

regards Dave

claigemle.blogspot.com
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 05:47 PM

I absolutely hate heights and that includes going up ladders - in particular step ladders. Funny though that at the weekend I cleaned the roof of our motorhome by crawling and kneeling on it and never felt unsafe or queasy. I made sure though that I didn't look over the edge! I have no doubt that the ladder is the more practical solution but for me, I will continue to crawl about getting very wet and dirty!
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 06:18 PM

Proper job Crindle,
Nice to see a bit of elbow grease being employed and not one of these "namby pamby" pressure washer jobies, well done.

PS. There's one here in Poole when your done!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 07:29 PM
ob1

A Yankee mop and roller bucket is my method. It takes about fifteen minutes every couple of months and stays spotless. You walk on the dry bit of the roof and your standing on a long and wide platform rather than on a step and stretching. Both are at a hight to do you damage if you fall of course.

Ron
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 08:21 PM

My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter A9800XXL
Hi,

I'm not having a go here, but shouldn't you have someone steadying the step ladder while you are on it? Particularly so if you are going to stand so near to (or even at) the top of it?

Having asked that question, I'll confess that I lean a very tall ladder (with the relevant part wrapped in carpet) against the side (steadied by someone of my own weight) to work my way round the edges. Then I climb onto the roof to do the mid section and around the rooflights. Always exercise great care where the roof starts to slope away at the front. Only needs doing once a year (using Fenwicks motorhome cleaner followed by Bobby Dazzler - both received as gifts). The van is around 3.5 metres tall.

I hate heights with a passion.

Regards,
John
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 PM

Now, I know this might be a silly question but we've only been doing this for a few months and to be honest, cleaning the roof of the 'van hasn't even entered my head, yet it seems, from reading this thread, that it is an essential part of cleaning the 'van, but why?? Is it because the roof lights get particularly dirty?? or because the solar panel gets mucky??
How often do you clean yours??
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 08:24 PM

My Motorhome: Dethleffs Globetrotter A9800XXL
Once a year at most. Don't see a need for anything more frequent. Others may d it more often due to parking under trees for long periods etc.

Regards,
John
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 08:31 PM

My Motorhome: Burstner Delphin Performance T821
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutchy
Nice job Crindle just be careful though you have left some photographic evidence there . Recently on a site i was told by health and safety police while i was doing a small job on my own industrial strength steps that they are not allowed on site and i had to set a scaffold up ,never the less i told them to **** off.I do my mhome roof the same way as you ,if the fun police lock you up i will come and break you out
There is nothing, repeat NOTHING in H&S rules that says you cannot work from a ladder. So, dhutchy, you have been conned by the site Gestapo who will have been enforcing a 'site' rule and not a H&S rule.

The only rules that pertain to ladders is that they should be 'footed' by a colleague or lashed firmly at the top.

Back on topic now. If you have a clean looking roof but it has lots of tiny black marks (left over after your cleaning) get some cheap bathroom mousse from Aldi/Lidl and with a little bit of elbow grease, they will be gone.

Nil Desperandum Illegitemide Carborundum
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:25 PM

Good tip but I would not be comfortable with the steps being self supporting without being tied to the motorhome in some fashion.

Next I am quite happy on my hands and knees on the m/h roof getting rid of all the grime and have developed a simple way of attaching the folder-away ladder we carry with us, to enable single man working. (Sorry should have said me to use it alone)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page