Dobsonian Telescope, Any Good ? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 25-11-2013, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Dobsonian Telescope, Any Good ?

Hi,
Help required from MHF Astronomers, Aldi have This Dobson Telescope on sale from Thursday 28th
I have a 6 Year old Granddaughter who had a school visit to the local planetarium and subsequently has shown an interest in the Planets. I am totally ignorant of such devices and also Astronomy but willing to learn, would this telescope be worthwhile for both of us to keep the interest going without lashing out loads o money or would I be wasting my hard earned.
I do live in a rural area and light pollution is relatively low.

Clive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 25-11-2013, 08:01 PM

Can't comment on the quality without looking at it, but for sky viewing at low cost you'd be as well off with a pair of 8x50, 10x50, 8x70, 10x70 binoculars. If you have some already, that's what I'd use. If you and your granddaughter take to it, you can look for something better than Aldi one.

If you haven't got binoculars already, then it's not a bank breaker to buy it and give astronomy a go.

If you want to do a bit more research have a look at this american website HERE and click on the "Equipment" heading and then select "Choosing your equipment from the drop down list. A lot of food for thought, but may answer some questions for you.

HTH

Norman ´n´ Liz
Moving on
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 25-11-2013, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Hi HTH,

Have some decent 8 x 50 bins, never thought about them and will give them a try. That site looks interesting !

Thanks.

Clive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page