Motorhome Facts Forum banner

PVC v small Coachbuilt.

6K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Deefordoggy 
#1 ·
Some of you may already know that in 2016, we went from a Kontiki 669 to, dare I say it, a twin axle caravan :surprise:.

Looking to the future (next week, month, year, decade lol), we feel that having looked at small coachbuilts and PVCs, a PVC might be for us. An example that really set our hearts racing at the NEC was the AS Warwick XL - two big sofas, separate shower/wc and some worktop. Mrs DFD wants a rear lounge where she can't see the cab (whatever) and as "formal" dining isn't important, a dinette isn't a requirement when two trays will suffice.. We also like the idea of "blending in" with the crowd in day to day life with a PVC and maybe only using it for a few days or a week away at a time but...........

Jeez, PVCs IMO, in particular the Warwick XL @ £56k, seem to be overpriced when compared to small coachbuilt offerings from the likes of both UK and European producers. So why are PVCs the price they are? After all, it's a panel van with windows and fitted out with the necessary kit. It's not as if you have to build another body on the back as you do with Coachbuilts.

Plan B could be to buy a new/nearly new XLWB high roof panel van such as the Ducato for c.£22-24k, give it to a converter (another minefield?) and throw say £20k at it to get the same layout and spec as the Warwick XL. But then there's the resale value, perceived quality, warranty etc etc..

Are we mad in even considering a PVC? Any comments welcome, about the PVC that is, not my mental state lol.

See less See more
#4 ·
The problem with buying your own panel van and getting someone to convert it is the resale price. I have researched this at length and that was the main sticking point.

I would look at used ones from a well known converter and not buy new, PVC's are more difficult to convert I have read, they are much less likely to have any damp though, all steel body, you need to get one that has no exposed metal showing inside, have a look at La Strada Avanti, quality conversion to see what I mean. A lot of the uk ones have exposed metal all over.

I would much prefer the panel van route though to a small coach built, there's so many out there though, its a minefield. We were looking at insulation, winterisation, layout, wild camping ability, length.

Of the uk ones Murvi Morello is a nice conversion, we had one, a 2005 model. Fresh tank inside you need, not underslung, which discounts a lot of them, if winterisation not so important then it doesn't matter.

So much to think about and research.

Paul.

#6 ·
Went from a twin axle caravan to our 1st PVC in 2008 and it was certainly a learning curve. However we had it 6 years and loved it and it was really the problem of making the beds up that decided us to a 1st an A class (3yrs) then back to a coachbuilt. It was a bog standard Tribby 650 but it had the great advantage of the full size f/freezer which at that time no other van had as far as we are aware. I was semi retired and needed the PVC for work transport because although the wife had a car we often worked different shifts. Also it had the great advantage of the 3ltr comfomatic as at the time we bought it clutch judder was in the headlines on 2.3 ltrs units. Ours was the front lounge but if we ever go back to a PVC I think it would be the rear lounge type on XLB.

#7 ·
Having had just about everything apart from an RV:confused: we found the Panel Van ideal for most things although we got the layout wrong, having the front layout just didn't work for us, rear lounge as in the Warwick is about the best id say. We had a Wildax and the build quality was brilliant couldn't fault it just wrong layout.

We now have another Swift Bessacarr 460 coach built which is rear lounge same length as the Wildax but wider which for us is right. Build quality not as good as the Wildax though:frown2:

Would we go back to a Panel Van, yes if the right one came up at the right price but as you say they are a bit of a price.

Jacquie

#8 ·
Jacquie - we looked at the Wildax Europa (rear lounge) at the NEC. Lovely van but didn't like the tambour doors that they fit on all the overhead lockers. A compromise I guess but it ticks many boxes. Forgot to look at the rear end storage which is another downside of a PVC even on a long platform/chassis. If the build quality is as good as you say, the Europa would be near the top of our hypothetical list.

#12 ·
PVCs all have the same problem, internal width, and insulation can also be a problem as some use very little, I went with spray foam for the self build, as far as I know NONE of the converters pay much attention in reality to insulation, we visited a few places to see how they were constructed, I'd not buy any of them on that basis, I did a lot of research on the various insulation materials which would be possible in a conversion, and chose spray foam because they use it on canal boats, and bearing in mind they are on cold water 100% of the time, it was a no brainer.

Otherwise a PVC is a winner if you can find the right layout, easy to park, cheaper to run, you can go almost anywhere, one other downside is in the event of a collision it may be a write off, also if welding is needed when it ages, it would be a nightmare.

#13 ·
PVCs all have the same problem, internal width, and insulation can also be a problem as some use very little, I went with spray foam for the self build, as far as I know NONE of the converters pay much attention in reality to insulation, we visited a few places to see how they were constructed, I'd not buy any of them on that basis, I did a lot of research on the various insulation materials which would be possible in a conversion, and chose spray foam because they use it on canal boats, and bearing in mind they are on cold water 100% of the time, it was a no brainer.

Otherwise a PVC is a winner if you can find the right layout, easy to park, cheaper to run, you can go almost anywhere, one other downside is in the event of a collision it may be a write off, also if welding is needed when it ages, it would be a nightmare.
Going around converters looking at the insulation they used also put us off Kev, loft insulation, camping style mats, rockwool, just not good enough I thought, spray foam definitely the way to go.

#15 ·
I once bought a Devon Sapphire direct from Devon. On the first outing in cold weather, as we drove off we were showered in water cascading down from the overcab. I removed the cab light unit to view into the cab roof and found that there was no insulation and the metal roof was covered in condensation. On speaking to the Devon boss, he informed me that they never insulated the cab roof. When I asked for it to be lagged he refused as he reckoned that it was awkward to remove the roof lining and the fittings might break. In the end I insulated the cab roof myself. I had several other problems on the Sapphire and found the Devon boss most unhelpful.
However, I never had such problems on the Wildax Aurora and Duncan the Wildax boss was a very approachable person..

#16 ·
One thing you can do on a PVC with the rear lounge, is fling the back doors wide open on nice days, not many coach builds can do that, only one I think so far.

#17 ·
[QUOTE=and found the Devon boss most unhelpful.

Yes you and me both Rowley, I only work a couple of minutes from the factory in Ferryhill, the boss there Mr Gowland is very unhelpful and its his way or no way when you enquire, there is no way I would buy anything from him.

I once asked him about getting the water tanks inside, ''it could be done he said, but we are not doing it, its a waste of time''

#20 · (Edited)
I agree with most of the comments above, good and bad, after downsizing. One big advantages I have found with a PVC is the lack of cleaning needed compared with a coachbuilt. Those black streaks down the body take far longer to form and even when they do they don't get ingrained like they do on a coachbuilt body and simply wipe off. It might be something to do with the air quality around Dartford but I always seemed to be cleaning our coachbuilt vans, now the lack of cleaning is noticeable. :smile2:

Both the boss and I are of smaller build and 'fit' OK. But having said that we are still aware of the lack of living space and I feel that PVC's might not suit everybody. A clear case of hire first I feel.

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.