Motorhome Facts Forum banner

now it's The Caravan and MOTORHOME club

5K views 41 replies 28 participants last post by  suedew 
#1 ·
#3 ·
:roll: :roll:

#6 · (Edited)
Certainly agree with the above comments.
With the worst forum on the internet they are really grasping new technology and looking to another 100 years!
The forum is about 6 weeks old:surprise:

PS. Pete I think the Caravan Club has always assumed that 'abroad' is all in France!

#7 ·
"exciting times"

"Never afraid of innovation, as a Club we have always moved with the times"

What a load of PR Bullsh*t, to cover up the fact that they are about 50 years behind the times.

I supposed they had to wait for enough of the Caravan 'Col. Blimps' to die off to be able to get it through.

And they still will not open their services/facilities to non-Members at any price unlike the CC+C

Geoff

#8 ·
I've been a member of the Caravan and Motorhome Club for about 12 years now - I can't be arsed to get involved with the politics of it and only a member for 2 reasons - cross channel tickets, and the occasional use of a site. they can call it what they want but as long as they provided a good service for what I need, then that's fine with me.

#11 ·
I'm not quite sure what you're on about there! "2 lots of groups"??

if you think the CC has merged with another club then you're wrong - it's just the Caravan Club rebranding as the Caravan and Motorhome Club

#13 ·
About time, too.
1974 we joined when we bought our first caravan.

I had to laugh when I read this:-
"...........Never afraid of innovation, as a Club we have always moved with the times, and that’s what this evolution of our Club is all about."

Reactions: greygit and SNandJA
#18 ·
It reminds me of a bottom. It's certainly produced a lot of old farts over the years!

#17 ·
In the late 80's? I worked as a walk leader for the caravan club Touchstone walking holidays. On my first time as a leader I arrived at the CC site near Scotch Corner with my CRV Dreamliner. The warden was a retired major and he refused to let me park on the designated leaders pitch which was next to the site office. He wanted me to park out of sight on a very secluded pitch as motorhomes looked unsightly and would never catch on.

On the other hand I also worked for the CC travel service running walking holidays in the French Alps. I met some very nice people at East Grinstead, they were very polite but I was still a motorhomer and not quite one of them.

If John Hunt was still alive he would have been very pleased that at last the motorhome had finally made it.

Don

#21 ·
I have received them in the post too. Whatever you think about the design it is on a clear background and whilst the text fills the "transparent square" the logo is lost. Saw a post from a disgruntled CL site owner saying they had their new plaque and it wasn't very distinctively visible to passing traffic on the road. CC oops CAMC seem to have lost its way, buying Alan Rogers' Guides then folding them up, becoming thereby sole providers of Camping Cheque so reducing the customer base for that organisation. Seems crazy to start competing with existing overseas service providers other than ferry services maybe. We've inspected overseas sites for CC and there were plans for adding more sites to the list, perhaps explaining the eventually "failed" purchase of ARs' Guides and organisation but there are H&S implications for Travel Service providers post the disaster involving Thomas Cook and the two children who died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. At the time we were last involved they were looking for people to go to New Zealand to help arrange CC organised tours by motorhome. These existed run locally anyway so it seemed pointless. Overseas "adventure" as they call them seem overpriced and often don't include the price for ferries, C&CC accounts seem to show they can make a profit with Overseas Travel Services whilst CC accounts seem less clear on this!
As a Club Member I think like a previous post I use the ferry service to compare prices and the occassional stay on UK Club and CL sites. For how long remains a decision before next year's subs are due. The Club needs to go back to a focus on their own sites, improve the reliability of the website and reduce the pitch fees but increase availability maybe. Acheivable perhaps by saving money on logos and forays into Overseas Adventure provision?
Steve

#22 ·
Stand was very busy at the show yesterday. chatting with a representative about the 'it is the CARAVAN club' you know brigade, was told to take names and report as this was part of the reason for a name change.
May well be, as mentioned in another forum, be because of the C1 licence and younger people coming into the passtime are more able to get a camper or motorhome.
Use it for ferries, home and health insurance, saved well over the monthly fee, have been known to use a few sites too, off to one tomorrow in the gales.

#23 ·
We only joined because of the CL network, I can remember one chap in mid wales apologizing to us because he had had to increase the site fee to £3 a night, from £2.50 I think, that was a about 20 yrs ago. now they are all hyped up by the Club to install Hookups and its hard to find one under £10 a night, often nearer £20.
Also having just come back form Turiscampo in Portugal they should take a look at the shower facilities therein, superb.

Perhaps now they will also start to understand that we don't all have Aquarolls and Wastemasters and start to understand how to build an Motorhome Service Point

Mike & Ann

#24 ·
I think that appalling TV program last year (Caravanner of the Year was it?) summed the whole organisation up very well.

They're a joke.

And a bad joke at that.

No organisation that ridicules its members in public for money is ever likely to get my support, even if they have changed their name.

#26 ·
In the early 90's The clubs Touchstone holidays had over a 90% take up. The walking holidays had 100% take up but the club still stopped running them.. Many members complained but it was a waste of time. At that time I was told unofficially by a club worker that the holidays did not generate enough income.

It was the same with my walking holidays in the French Alps. We would only take 20 walkers on each holiday for safety reasons. We gave up after two years when the club wanted to reduce our expenses, their excuses was they had to keep in line with their competitors.. When I asked who the competitors where there was no reply.

Anybody who has been involved with the club over the years knows full well the club has never ben run for the benefit of the members and never will be.

Don

#27 ·
Surely it's a positive move that should be welcomed by those motorhome owners who are members? For those who aren't a member then it doesn't affect them!

I'm a member because it sometimes gives me access to sites which I wouldn't otherwise have. I don't use any of their other services and cringe sometimes when I read the magazine and other bumph - but I still think it's worth paying and next time I pitch up at one of their sites I won't feel quite so much like a motorhomer gatecrashing a private party of caravanners!

#28 · (Edited)
Come on lads. Half the time you say that you couldn't care less and then get all up tight because 'motorhome' has never been in the title. How about 'the caravan, motorhome, tent, 5th wheel, RV, PVC club?' That has a nice ring to it and covers most users but I apologise to any that I have left out.

Ron

#35 ·
Gordon

I am unclear what you mean by 'stop-overs'

Are you thinking of the sort of arrangement that CC&C offer for a (?) 4 hour daytime stay for use of dump, fresh-water, laundrey etc.?

The CC&C rates for that are good if one uses laundry, and are open to non-Members. But for dump and fresh water I have found small commercial sites much cheaper, or even free, for a Charity contrib., or a few Belgian chocolates:wink2::laugh:

Maybe I just misunderstood 'stop-overs'

Geoff

#36 ·
Gordon

I am unclear what you mean by 'stop-overs'

Are you thinking of the sort of arrangement that CC&C offer for a (?) 4 hour daytime stay for use of dump, fresh-water, laundrey etc.?

The CC&C rates for that are good if one uses laundry, and are open to non-Members. But for dump and fresh water I have found small commercial sites much cheaper, or even free, for a Charity contrib., or a few Belgian chocolates:wink2::laugh:

Maybe I just misunderstood 'stop-overs'

Geoff
Hi Geoff

It was Gaspode who introduced the term "stopover" (#30) and I interpreted it like you: an opportunity to dump, fill, wash & shower as in CCC.

Personally, I would rather pay a few extra quid and have a secure rest for the night, use the EHU etc BUT I think CC (CMC?) could introduce this extra service.

Gordon

#37 ·
At a CAMC site now, of the group 11 of us 7 didn't see the new sign and all agree it looks like an estate agents sign.
Not to worry still got the jobsworth, 1 out of 4, friend had accident, walking wounded, we called taxi, JW insisted that an ambulance be called, paramedics said not needed but as the hospital was very near they would take her anyway.
Today filling in accident form, JW despite 6 witnesses, denied having insisted on an ambulance being called. Also very unpleasant, ordering me back to my van as 'I wasn't needed', I knew that but my van was next to the one the paramedics were heading for, had to go the way i was headed.
Could go on, but a waste of time, pity site is nice handy for bus and pubs and things to do in the cold.
Sue

#38 ·
Sue

Sounds very unpleasant.

I assume you and John might be mindful of putting in a Report to the Club. If you do may I suggest that the Club contact the Ambulance Service who will have a record of who made the call. They may also have a report from the Paramedics about their opinion that it was an unnecessary call, which could make it more difficult to get an ambulance to attend the site, when there is a more serious accident.

Geoff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.