Tesco Clubcard? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Tesco Clubcard?

We use our Santander Bank Credit and Debit cards for almost all our shopping requirements but a lot of MHF members talk about the benefits of having a Tesco Clubcard because of getting much lower, or 'free', crossings using Eurotunnel.

We always cross by the Tunnel, about three or four times a year, and wondered if you could explain why we might be better off changing to the Tesco card.

We rarely, if ever, use Tesco for shopping or fuel and up to now had just thought that you had to use and buy only Tesco products and services.

Any pointing in the right direction is appreciated.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 09:38 AM

My wife has one, although we don't shop at Tesco much we use it for just about everything else. The points soon clock up and a free train ride to France makes it worth while.

Keith.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 09:46 AM

Hi,

If you use Tesco Credit Card, you earn a Point for every £1 spent on fuel, 2 points for store purchases adnd 1 point for most other card spending.

If you spend £1,000 on the card without using it in Tesco, that equates to £10 Clubcard Voucher. You can Spend that £1o in Tesco, sometimes they double vouchers value so that would be worth £20.

If you convert that £10 voucher to Eurotunnel, its is worth 3 x value, so £30.

Sometimes they have offers giving you 4 x deals on Stena as an example (it used to be 4 x value).

Make any sense?.

I use Credit Cards for Business, paying them in full every month. I don't but should use Tesco. We spend around £24,000 a year on them. Without Buying Tesco Fuel, this could give us?........

TM

E&EO
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 11:25 AM

I'm currently trialing a Tesco Credit Card to see if it's worth the effort and how long it takes me to earn enough points for a free tunnel crossing.

I don't and won't shop at Tesco as I begrudge doing anything to line Porter's pockets but if I can get something out of it without sending a penny her way, I'll give it a try.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 01:43 PM

My Motorhome: Carthago Chic i47
Personal Aire
I have a Tesco card and until recently didn't shop in their stores. I always managed to get our motorhome and smart car trailer on a return crossing for approx £60. We usually travel peak times i.e. Sat or Sun either late morning or early afternoon as OH still works.

Now a smallish Tesco store has opened up just 3 miles away from me and I have started shopping in it (and saving lots of money in vouchers). I will see whether it reduces my annual £60 and by how much.

Feel supermarkets are horses for courses, non of them are very ethical, they are all out to make scandalous profits.

Cheryl
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 02:14 PM

You can exchange Tesco Vouchers for 4 times the face value if you opt for vouchers for restaurant chains.

Plenty of choice on the site.

Some smaller restaurants are getting in on the act, not just national chains.

Great value, £25 vouchers equals £100 to spend.

Roger
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 03:03 PM

My Motorhome: Hymer B614SL
My advice is get a Tesco Mastercard and use that for all the purchases you were making on the old credit card.

Then over a period of time you will build up vouchers. I save mine up for Tunnel tickets getting X3 value.

3 points to note:
1. The new system is really easy as you do the application online to convert vouchers for use on the Tunnel, then call them to make a booking giving the numbers you received by email to make the booking and paying any small difference. The old system they sent you Tunnel vouchers you had to send to them this was a pain and is now much better.

2. You can opt for paperless vouchers and it is very easy to see online what you have available.

3. The only downside for me is it seems to take longer with Tesco mastercard for items to appear on your online account but I have to live with that.

As a parting comment we have saved loads using this system and have not paid full price for a Tunnel crossing in the past 3 years. If you buy Tesco fuel you get more points but you don't have to and if you don't want to use their shops then don't.

Go on get one

Scolds
Click on www below to view our travel Blog.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 03:26 PM
EJB

My Motorhome: Autotrail Tracker
Had quite a few 'free' crossings, both Eurotunnel and Harwich - Hook over the last few years because we shop at Tesco.
It is our local store so very convenient.
We used to get 4 times for the crossings but it is now 3 times!

Tesco credit card is also worth it.

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 03:58 PM

For those who do not go that often, you can print off any vouchers which are applicable to you from your online clubcard account as most tend to refer back to previous visits, no matter how sporadic the visits are.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 PM

The OP uses the santander card, if it is with the the 123 account then he is already getting discount on shopping, fuel etc equal or better than any clubcard not to mention 3% on up to 20K savings - don't know how they do it!

We also use the Tesco card, shop at Sainsbury's never Tesco but tend if we buy any bigger ticket items to put it on the Tesco card and use the points for the tunnel, never had to pay yet!!

Its probably swings and roundabouts at the end but it does feel good getting the tunnel for nothing!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page