Reversing camera Fitting - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 22-03-2006, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Reversing camera Fitting

Hi all hope someone can help me with this.

I am expecting our first MH in the next couple of weeks A/S Nuevo.

Besides all the other stuff to fit I would like to fit a reversing camera.

WHY on such a small van I can hear some say. OK well I will also be having fitted a towbar with ramp to take my mobility scooter (Iv'e checked the weight with A/S).

This will obviously stick out from the rear a couple of feet or so.

I feel a camera in this instance could be useful.

Right back to the question, has anyone fitted one themselves or watched on being fitted. I am concerned about the wiring from the camera to the monitor. I have no problem with putting the cable under the MH along the chassis and then into the cab area.

But, what about the cable from camera down the back. The Nuevo is a coachbuilt GRP I think. Is the back hollow or filled like a caravan.

I don't mind drilling and sealing a couple of holes but I don't want to drill and then find I can't route the cable down to the chassis.

Any thoughts anyone?

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 22-03-2006, 09:24 PM

Re: Reversing camera Fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteS
I don't mind drilling and sealing a couple of holes but I don't want to drill and then find I can't route the cable down to the chassis.

Any thoughts anyone?
Hi
I don't have your motorhome but I have installed cameras on two motorhomes and both times I've taken the camera cable through the van via the top lockers. I doubt very much if you will be able to feed down inside the back skin, both of mine have been filled with foam insulation.
The bonus is that you don't need to crawl under the van and find a route up to the cab and there is less likelihood of damage to the cable.
I used 16mm x 16mm plastic mini trunking inside the lockers for neatness, available from DIY stores ..
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 22-03-2006, 09:26 PM

Hi Petes, The chap that did mine routed it from the back through a cupboard and then round the top of all the cupboards to the wardrobe then down the wardrobe corner through the floor and then along the chassis. He also enclosed it all in a plastic sleeve to save it chafing. Worked well but I would not do it again as I rarely find a use for it. If I change motorhomes I will use a rear view finder (one of those plastic things that sticks on the window or a rear view mirror if I need the close look like on some people carriers. I will have reversing sensors fitted though.
Just my humble opinion
Ian
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 22-03-2006, 09:36 PM

We use a wireless one, mounted inside with lens looking out through rear window, no fuss, no mess, no holes!

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/module..._cam.sized.jpg

Regards M&D
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 23-03-2006, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, will look into the wireless option.

I will have a better idea when we pick up the MH.

Thanks all

Pete
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 23-03-2006, 08:03 PM

Send a message via MSN to Mat7
I am looking to do a camera myself soon too, however i am still looking at what way to do it.
Is there a good way of drilling through passing wires through and re sealing the back of the motorhome?

Cheers for now
Matt
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 23-03-2006, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Hi Matt the way I was intending to do it was to fit the camera bracket with an extra hole drilled in it to pass the wires through.

Mount the bracket on a bed of caravan/MH sealant I think the name of the sealant is Sikaflex. I would probably put extra sealant into the holes as well.

I am about to ask about a wireless camera I have found on ebay.

It is just the camera no monitor but the monitors are available as well.

I need to check the camera working voltage and it seems to come with a receiver for the monitor.

One thing that I think you need to make sure of is that either the monitor or the camera will give a reverse image.

I will post here about the wireless camera but this is obviously only of use if you have a rear window.

Pete
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 23-03-2006, 09:33 PM

Thats pretty much as I imagined however I was thinking (dangerous I know) you can get the hollow threaded bar, if that was passed through the wall of the motorhome and bolted up it could be a more perminant / solid fixture, and also making the tube that the wires passes through easier to seal??? the only danger I see is doing the nuts up too tight and crushing the wall of the motorhome. Am I just overcomplicating a simple job?

do you follow?

cheers for now
Matt
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 23-03-2006, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

I think you have answered your own Q Matt.

I would have thought that the skinn is only a few mm thick and hollow so the pressure required to make it waterproof I would have thought too great.

Also you will have to seal the tube and this could end up looking messy.

Have you got a rear window? To go down the wireless route. I like the look of Mandyand Daves setup.

Pete
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 23-03-2006, 09:49 PM

No rear window for me! which is the main reason i am wanting a camera.

Cheers Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page