Merc 310d engine issue - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 20-02-2012, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Merc 310d engine issue

Hi, i bought a camper van with the OM602.940, 5 cyl engine, 4 speed automatic. Which i thought was a bit slow but running ok. However after a particularly long drive i noticed every now and then i would get bursts of much better performance out of it. For example typically goin up an incline at 60mph most of the time it will grumble along or possibly drop back to 55 even if i put my footdown it doesnt make any difference. If one of these performance bursts happens then during the incline i could put my foot down and i can charge up the incline at 70 no problem. It only seems to happen on long journeys of several hours or more and the longer the journey the more often the performance seems to improve. Coming back from london to scotland recently i found the performance burst would sometimes last 20 minutes or more. So i now think this is what the van should run like all the time and there is something wrong with it most of the time. Having googled this a fair bit and spoken to some mechanics the problem remains unresolved, however in the troubleshooting we have replaced the fuel lift pump and added back the pre filter which was missing. Not being an engine type person and not wanting to keep spending money on a treasure hunt, i was wondering if anyone has seen this issue before or can offer any insight. Im planning a trip of several thousand miles starting on Sat and would love to get it resolved before i go. There is no smoke coming from exhaust and one mechanic thinks the engine sounds great and looks great, completely stumped as to wat the problem could be, he doesnt really want to spend hours troubleshooting and take the money from me with no guarantee that he could find the problem.

If i have missed out any key information or anyone can give me some ideas it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 20-02-2012, 02:35 PM

Have you had a look at the injectors?

Richard
´HAPPY MOTORHOMONG FOR 2015´ to everyone
The above is only a personal opinion
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 20-02-2012, 03:24 PM

Re: Merc 310d engine issue

Hi for £12 or so a bottle of injector cleaner would be worth a try, add it with diesel when filling up. Ive found them beneficial in the past.
If engine runs well apart from that at 60 or so on a run then id leave it alone.
By the way is there a rev limiter alarm coming on through ECU, that could be related to an exhaust particulate blockage. I had similar problem on my C8 2.2HDI engine. After £2000 spent trying to increase engine performance with dealers (car out of warranty)I gave up. Engine still running at lower power and revs 3 years later!! If it is is'nt (really) broke then don't fix it.
Bonne route on your trip.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 20-02-2012, 03:29 PM

Re: Merc 310d engine issue

HI again, its not just inertia/momentum of the Hymer's mass thats giving her a boost on flats or with wind assistance fom time to time. I had this effect when towing a caravan with the faulty c8 mentioned in last message?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 20-02-2012, 03:31 PM

At 20 quid its worth changing the in line fuel filter. Mine clogged solid after 28K miles last August, like driving with handbrake on !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page