Ducato replacement ignition key - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 24-04-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Ducato replacement ignition key

I'm trying to obtain a replacement ignition key for my 2006 Facelift Ducato. The local key cutter says he can't do Fiat chips, although he can do others, and I have to get one from Fiat.

Has anyone else tried to obtain a new Fiat key? How did you get on? How much did it cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-04-2010, 12:25 AM

You'll struggle to find anyone prepared to cut and code Fiat keys, one or two of the mobile locksmiths claim to be able to do it but they're marginally more expensive than Fiat. Some Timpson branches have the milling machine to cut the keys but they don't stock the blanks and they can't program the chips. Last one I asked also said they were no longer allowed by H.O. to just cut a blank supplied by the customer as there was a possibility of keys they had cut "damaging" the immobiliser. They must think we were born yesterday.

A recent price from Fiat for a non-remote key was 35 to retrieve the code, 70 to supply and cut the key and a half hour labour (about 35) to code the chip - all plus VAT.

That comes out around 175 by my reckoning, about 30 extra for a remote key IIRC. Dick Turpin was a benefactor by comparison.

Two classes of people think they are above the law - those that break it and those that make it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-04-2010, 12:48 AM

It's the price you pay for trying to make vehicle security as secure as possible.

A new key for my car was 140 inc code number sheet + recoding was another 30 because I knew of a non-main dealer who had the right computer to do it.

But just wait until you need a new barrel for the Ducato ignition lock - it's 73 for the lock 320 for the "kit to fit it" and 288 labour all + VAT.

That's what I was quoted by a Fiat commercial dealer to cure a Ducato that kept "turning itself off" when it went over a bump.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-04-2010, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

WOW!

Another Fiat rip off, then!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-04-2010, 09:46 AM

Personally I think everybody buying a new car should INSIST on having a second set of keys included. I would suggest negoitiating the deal then just before closing ensure the second set of keys are including and WALKING if they refused. If everybody did that manufacturers would soon get the message.

I accept these keys are expensive but over a hundred pounds to produce! It is ridiculous.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-04-2010, 11:11 AM

Or we could just go back to the good old days of the Mk1 Ford Granada.

A spare key (available almost anywhere) was about 50p and as there were only (so I was told) 32 possible different keys that fitted that model, you could have any Granada you wanted for 16.

A friend of mine once started a Cortina with one of those fake keys that were sent out by Readers Digest to everybody who had "Won" one of their prize draws.

Do we really want to go back to that?

PS judging by the style of key for my Ducato, that part of the mix was supplied by the Peugeot/Citroen side of the partnership. So maybe it's another Peugeot/Citroen ripoff.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-04-2010, 11:26 AM

keys

carol nash do a key care insurance for a anual fee. for my Honda motorcycle it has a immobilizer key. don't know if they do them for motorhomes.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-04-2010, 01:21 PM

Stanner, do see where you are coming from and of course we do want secure vehicles; but the car makers are cashing in on it and one of my pet hates is the way that only one set of keys are issued.

Nobody minds paying REASONABLE charges but this is madness. It is because they can only produce the keys they can charge what they feel like and is ridiculous. ;
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-04-2010, 02:28 PM

Hi,
Our "new" Ducato had the barrel for the large front glovebox locker missing - spotted at handover - probably borrowed by someone.

Was told to get a replacement from Fiat dealer and send the bill but Fiat claimed that all the locks would have to be replaced at 700++

As its only a plastic lock I didn't bother and wouldn't keep a laptop or valuables in there anyway.

Also I didn't get a key code card. Apparently all the necessary data is held on Fiat's computers so you don't need it. I guess it's just tough if you lose your keys on a bank holiday etc when they are closed

Steve

Steve and Sheila
Read about our latest travels in Europe on our website
http://www.motorhomeandaway.com
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-04-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenaway
Also I didn't get a key code card. Apparently all the necessary data is held on Fiat's computers so you don't need it.
That's very true Steve - but of course they will charge you 35 + VAT to retrieve that data.

Increased security is a welcome addition for those of us who don't make a living from car crime but the cost of obtaining new keys is simply a scandal. What should it really cost to obtain a replacement key?

Well, Fiat key blanks are easily obtainable at less than 10 each and Timpsons can cut them (if their H.O. would allow them to) for 8. Coding the chips for other makers (ie Ford) costs about 10 and retrieving the code data from Fiat costs nothing - but lets allow them 10 for 15 minutes work on the PC. That should add up to about 38 which I would say is a reasonable market price for a replacement key, so why do Fiat want 175? Make your own judgement.

Just as a matter of interest I spoke to the local Fiat dealer a few weeks ago on this subject and asked them to justify the price, the only thing he could come up with was that Volvo are even more expensive than Fiat.

Two classes of people think they are above the law - those that break it and those that make it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page