Fiat Ducato timing belt warning - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 25-09-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Fiat Ducato timing belt warning

Just picked up mh from friends garage were he has mot,d it and done cam belt and tensioner and bearings, he said what a lucky escape we had had as when he removed one of the bearings it fell to peices in his hands.
Van is 54 reg 21500 miles and 2.8jtd fiat reccomend 5years or 72000 miles which ever comes first.Ignore at your peril you have been warned

geordie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 25-09-2009, 06:24 PM

there is a good chance you m/h is at least 6 years old its on a 54 and its now 09 and possibly came off of the line up to a year before that
chapter
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 25-09-2009, 08:08 PM

Cam belt

Why do they persist in using these rubber bands and plastic idler bearings? why dont these manufacturers use a cam chain......... simples ok they will get noisey when worn but at least its not a case of a trashed head.
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 25-09-2009, 08:19 PM
BJT

Check date of manufacture of original van, carefully. My MH is on a 54 plate, but the van bit was built in 2003; so now 6 years old and is a Fiat Ducato with 2.3JTD engine. Had the belt changed yesterday while MoT and annual service was done, now have to pay fairly hefty bill on credit card in a few weeks!!!
The belt looked OK although shiny with some wear, but the tensioner was picking up material from the back of the belt; so I am satisfied that it needed changing. Better to pay out now, than break down with an expensive repair to face, especially if in Europe.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 25-09-2009, 09:49 PM

My Motorhome: Hymer B644
Thanks for that reminder geordie,

mine is due for changing-what did it cost for the cam-belt job only ?
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 25-09-2009, 09:55 PM

Just had mine done full cam belt kit & tensioner £222.50
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 25-09-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJT
Check date of manufacture of original van, carefully. My MH is on a 54 plate, but the van bit was built in 2003; so now 6 years old and is a Fiat Ducato with 2.3JTD engine. Had the belt changed yesterday while MoT and annual service was done, now have to pay fairly hefty bill on credit card in a few weeks!!!
The belt looked OK although shiny with some wear, but the tensioner was picking up material from the back of the belt; so I am satisfied that it needed changing. Better to pay out now, than break down with an expensive repair to face, especially if in Europe.
You are so right as it cost us £1600 to have a whole new head fitted.
Ours was the tensioner snapped and broke the belt
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 26-09-2009, 09:18 AM
BJT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankStretton
Just had mine done full cam belt kit & tensioner £222.50
You got a cheap job! The belt kit alone costs £135.24 +VAT; and it is a 3+ hour job to fit. So your mechanic must have a very low hourly rate.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 26-09-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locovan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJT
You are so right as it cost us £1600 to have a whole new head fitted.
Ours was the tensioner snapped and broke the belt
My brother in law is as we speak broken down in France with cam belt failure
Not a M/H but a volvo and caravan and the quotation for the repair is 6300 euro.

No joke at all

Tramping the Dream or sometimes, Chasing Rainbows
Graham
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 26-09-2009, 09:39 AM

Personal Aire
Ouch. Yup, prevention is far easier on the heart and wallet.

I had a cambelt go once, but it was in the days of non-interference engines. I was back on he road the following day

The price of emission standards ....

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page