Fiat Tyre Pressures?? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-09-2008, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Fiat Tyre Pressures??

Recently purchased a new Autotrail Cheyenne 740S, and advised to get the wheels balanced and tracking checked in an attempt to resolve another problem.

Both incidently had to be rectified at a cost of £98 to me. The mechanic who was very thorough asked me to check the vehicle's handbook for the correct tyre pressures.
The tyres:- Continental Vancocamper 225/75R16CP 116R, stipulated max. pressure 69psi. However the handbook stated 5.5 bar (+ or - 0.5 bar), which in old money is 79 psi. The mechanic very unhappy about inflating to this pressure asked me to double check with the manufacturer.

On my return journey home, I found that the vehicle still had its original problem. I contacted Autotrail to report the fault and queried the tyre pressures, and was told to contact the tyre manufacturer as they do not advice which tyre pressures to use.

Not happy with driving on incorrect tyre pressures and having a substancial journey looming, I contacted Continental Tyres this morning who were very helpful. Continental needed tyre details and front and rear axle weights, which are easily found on the plate under the bonnet - According to them the tyres should be inflated as follows:- Front - 4bar = 58psi. Rear - 4.75bar= 68psi. So an urgent trip was made to our nearer garage/airline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-09-2008, 08:41 PM

hi Happyrunner

I have 66PSI front and 68PSI rear, but not quite sure you can gain the correct running weight from under the bonnet, would recommend you fully load it and weigh the front axle then the rear axle on a weigh bridge.

A lot of ducking and diving by manufacturers on this point.

Good Luck

Broom
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-09-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Fiat Tyre Pressues??

Thanks for that Broom.

Bit of a minefield this, it seems.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-09-2008, 09:23 PM

Hi if you have another look at the tyre you will see there is another mark that says when it is used on a camper the max pressure is 5.5 bar (79psi) because of the high loading.
On the passenger side door shut it also says 5.5 bar as well as the handbook this alows max loading for the axels.

Thats what I use anyway.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-09-2008, 09:48 PM

Fiat
Your tyre Inflation guide is on the drivers door lock pillar ( lhd) .these are for max weights ie (3.500)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-09-2008, 09:51 PM

My Motorhome: 2015 Bailey Approach Autograph 740
The correct tyre pressure is the one shown on the passenger door shut. This is standard practice for all commercial based vehicles and is the one that would be used in any official roadside check.
It is highly likely that the pressures shown on the door shut are different from those shown on the plate under the bonnet. This is because the ones under the bonnet are for the base vehicle and the ones on the door shut are adjusted for the potential MGW of the vehicle as suggested earlier.
Gerry
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 22-09-2008, 11:19 PM

Tyre Pressures

Hi All,
In the latest C&C(Oct'0 magazine; in the reply, by the tech guru,to a similar question ;there is this gold nugget of info:
October is Tyre Safety Month and there is loads of info to be had online from www.tyresafe.org including a downloadable leaflet re motorhome tyres (pressures according to tyre type and axle load).
Download it;print it off and you'll be able to make sense of it all at last!!
Safe travels everyone
Pam
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 23-09-2008, 09:40 AM

I also queried the door pillar tyre pressures on my 3300Kg Mooveo/Fiat, but after due consideration and trying out I am actually, within 1 psi, sticking to the advised pressures.
These are 79 rear and 73 front and whilst the ride is a bit on the firm side it is not excessive.
The Punctureseal guy never turned a hair, or queried the pressures, when re-inflating last week after the treatment, so he obviously did not find it unusual.
Personally I would sooner be slightly over inflated than under (fuel consumption, tyre wear etc), though no doubt someone will tell me that's wrong.

Paul

Forgotten, but not gone.
I was apathetic but now I can´t be bothered.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 23-09-2008, 09:46 AM

Hi Pam,

The list is good but does not cover one of the most popular tyre size used on motorhomes 205/70 R15C.

Don
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 23-09-2008, 10:04 AM

Getting ready for the off, I visited the local tyre centre to ask about the correst tyre pressures for my van.

The manager took me to my van, opened the drivers door and pointed to the door post.

There was a label showing a sketch of the van and indicating the correct pressures. Very red face on me

He very kindly got one of the staff to inflate the tyres to the correct level.

Have you checked to see if there is a similar label on your van door post, it may be on the passenger side on some vehicles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page