How does the LPG Regulator Work? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-04-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

How does the LPG Regulator Work?

Hi all.

Can anyone please explain how the LPG regulator works or link to a site which does?

The problem I have is that every few seconds, a small burst of gas seems to be expelled from one of the two small holes in the side of the regulator body and I would like to understand the purpose of these holes before buying a new regulator.

If the operation is similar to a diving regulator then the small holes are to admit ambient pressure air to the non-LPG gas side of the diaphragms. Is this the same on the LPG regulator?

I could understand that if a diaphragm had a hole in it then gas would escape but I cant understand why the escape seems to be intermittent.

The regulator is the one that came with the motorhome 30mb fixed to the bulkhead. All the gas appliances still work OK.

Thanks,
Diver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-04-2009, 08:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to CliveMott Send a message via MSN to CliveMott Send a message via Yahoo to CliveMott
I will try.
The gas flow to your appliances has to pass through a small needle valve in the regulator. This needle valve is kept open with a spring. Attached to this needle valve is a large diaphragm. The appliance side of the needle valve applies gas pressure to the diaphragm and when the pressure is sufficient will overcome the spring and close the valve. A balance is reached with the valve just open enough to enable sufficient gas through to supply the appliances.

If more pressure is required then a stronger spring is used.

Is that OK?

C.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-04-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Clive,

That part I already understand its the same as a diving regulator. Also Wikipedia has an explanation in pictures which is helpful http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_pressure_regulator

What Im after is the purpose of the two very small holes, one either side of the regulator on the outside of the diaphragm chambers.

Diver
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-04-2009, 08:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to CliveMott Send a message via MSN to CliveMott Send a message via Yahoo to CliveMott
These holes vent the non gas side of the diaphragm to atmosphere.

C,
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-04-2009, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Clive, that's as I thought. So there must be some internal leak allowing gas to pass through to the vent hole. New regulator time!

Diver
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-04-2009, 08:52 PM

There is a hole through the diaphragm then.
C.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-04-2009, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Yes, its just that the escape appears to be in short bursts rather than continuous that is puzzling.

Diver

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page