Am I diabetic update. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Am I diabetic update.

I was told I have type2 last summer and I should keep an eye on what I eat. I bought a Accu-check Aviva to check my blood while out in Spain over the winter.

I bought some extra needles in a cassette for it and extra strips.

I went to fit a new needle cassette at the weekend and they where the wrong ones. So I popped into the Chemist here in Spain this morning to try and get the right ones.

The girl in the chemist come back with the sort that I had that were wrong for my machine.
I was not to happy as she said they did not make the sort I had now.

As I had bought it in the UK I was thinking I would have to get back in touch with the chemist at home

So thinking here we go you must buy another machine, she said bring it all in and I will give you another NEW complete new machine.

I return with my machine that I bought in October in the UK and she just swapped it over. No Payment

I had no till receipts excetra for the UK machine what a great service.
She even filled in the warranty which they did not do in the UK.

Well Done Spain

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 01:48 PM

Location: Brimington, Chesterfield, Derbyshire and Acharavi, Greece
Re: Am I diabetic update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkey-2008
I was told I have type2 last summer and I should keep an eye on what I eat. I bought a Accu-check Aviva to check my blood while out in Spain over the winter.

I bought some extra needles in a cassette for it and extra strips.

I went to fit a new needle cassette at the weekend and they where the wrong ones. So I popped into the Chemist here in Spain this morning to try and get the right ones.

The girl in the chemist come back with the sort that I had that were wrong for my machine.
I was not to happy as she said they did not make the sort I had now.

As I had bought it in the UK I was thinking I would have to get back in touch with the chemist at home

So thinking here we go you must buy another machine, she said bring it all in and I will give you another NEW complete new machine.

I return with my machine that I bought in October in the UK and she just swapped it over. No Payment

I had no till receipts excetra for the UK machine what a great service.
She even filled in the warranty which they did not do in the UK.

Well Done Spain

Andy
Having been a type II diabetic for a number of years now and doing the same as you, I discovered I was wrong in doing so, The machines are basically only for type I diabetics who can do something immediately about a high count, Type II you can't, so if you have a high reading what are you going to do? apart from panic, Nothing, cos you cannot juggle your tablets, I use mine now as I am on a diet (Food) and the doctor has instructed me to keep a close watch on it as already he has dropped me off 4 tablets a day (1 at a time) at varying times of the day.

My eventual hope is to get off the tablets altogether.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 02:54 PM

(Almost) ditto on that Les. Diet controlled, I've been told to stay away from them and just concentrate on healthy eating.

While they can have a place as you go through the process of learning what are "good" and "bad" things to be eating...not always common sense because there's an element of how quick the sugars are released rather than just sugar content itself...the position at my surgery was that it's an unnecessary expense with little benefit. When I was using one I was regularly getting what I thought of as worrying readings while my HbA1C reading was sat at 6, so fine.

Where the "(almost)" comes in is around Type 1 vs 2 diabetes. My wife was Type 2, insulin controlled. She did have a meter and was supposed to use it on an ongoing basis as she could vary her insulin dose. So there are cases...and I'd imagine someone who was tablet controlled but not very well controlled is another...where Type 2 diabetics need to use them.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 03:05 PM

As a nurse I can tell you that the cost of the monitor is relatively cheap compared to the cost of the strips to use with it. Hence the chemist is happy to give you the monitor- they make their money from the strips afterwards.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 03:49 PM

My Motorhome: Hymer B644
I was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a couple of years ago and now have it under control with a combination of diet and tablets.

I find the blood monitor useful to give me a general indication of my glucose levels,I test every 2-3 days and find it reassuring that my levels are within normal parameters.

There was a bit of a spike over the xmas period but I am back on track again now

At my last Hb1ac check I was 6.6 which is where I want to be,my diabetic nurse gave me a target of between 6.5-7 so I am well pleased as I was at 17 when I was first diagnosed.

My health surgery has been excellent in helping me to control and monitor my blood glucose,they give me a prescription for the testing strips which is good as I have an exemption certificate being a diabetic.

cheers Steve
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

I use the machine for peace of mind, as I had a test last year while i was in Spain and feeling unwell before being given the news that I had type 2 and it was off the scale.

Also Mrsw if I was in England I would agree with you to some extent but this was a chemist in Spain, that I have not been into for 3 years and when they saw the lancet was the wrong one they just gave me the new machine.

Andy
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsW
As a nurse I can tell you that the cost of the monitor is relatively cheap compared to the cost of the strips to use with it. Hence the chemist is happy to give you the monitor- they make their money from the strips afterwards.
Ray buys the strips cheaper on the net so much cheaper--he is type two but just likes to keep a check.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 07:31 PM

mum has gone from over 10 years as type 2 and at 70 reclassified type 1 further 20 years had a stroke, now in a home being monitored up to twice a day has lost 5 stone no longer registering as diabetic though still being monitored.
recounted this to my "gp who said if 80% of my patient's lost 4 stone each i wouldn't need to see them" would reverse most high blood pressure a lot of respiratory problem's and most of the diabetic treatment without going onto heart complaint's, just to cheer me up he said" in your case ken better make that 6 stone" cheeky bugger
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 07:50 PM

Location: Brimington, Chesterfield, Derbyshire and Acharavi, Greece
4 months ago after my regular blood test Doc told me he was going to put me on insulin injections as I was on Max tablets possible, I didn't want that at any cost, He had warned me the month before that if things kept on what he was going to do.
I had already decided to diet and had actually just started the diet, so he said Ok we will re test in 3 months (Dec) and see what happens.
I lost just over a stone after 5 weeks and had already had to phone him as I was nearly hypoing out, he knocked a tablet of and I carried on, after 2 months I had lost almost 2 stone and had another tablet knocked off which was in fact the most powerful one I was taking, at 3 months I had lost 2 1/2 stone I am now on my way to 3 stones lost and and had 2 more tablets knocked off.
The difference I feel is astronomical, I now go to the gym most days, Not to get muscles but to get rid of some of the excess flab I have, My waist has gone from 44ins and I am now at 36ins, Instead of 3X shirts etc I am now down to XL and I have now regained all my self confidence.

How wonderful life is.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 08:21 PM

Similar story, lost 7 stone over 18 months, all checks since changing diet and cutting out sugar have been really low readings.
My last visit doctor said cut out the Metphormin tablets and after discussion we cut them to 2 per day and will check again in three months and if ok, cut them out all together

Barry

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page