Picolax - how long before it starts??? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 13-04-2009, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Picolax - how long before it starts???

Hello again
Sorry to bring up the dreaded Colonoscopy subject again (thanks for all the kind wishes and cheery responses) but today is the day before my colonoscopy so had to start on the Picolax this morning.

1st sachet mixed with 1 pint water started at 9.30 and finished drinking at 10.15 am. Instructions said to sip it over 30 - 40 mins.

Its now 11.55 and so far only needed to go for wee wee's.

Has anyone used Picolax for their prep....if so how long does it take before it starts to 'work'?

I'm sure it started a lot sooner than this last time I used it (6 years ago) but I can't remember exactly as I was in hospital overnight.

I did have to use a dulcolax tablet as well this time (took that Saturday night and went to the loo 7 times yesterday). It was fine, only bit of griping in tummy but no sore bum with it and very gentle.

Now I'm worrying that the Picolax not working. It said on packet ' if it becomes too hot, wait until it cools sufficiently to drink'. Well it didn't get hot at all and it was quite hard to get the little grains to dissolve. I do remember the last time I took it it did get hot. The pack is in date but it was given to me last October.

I do hope I'm not wasting my time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 13-04-2009, 02:33 PM

Don't worry it will work! From memory I had the same-ie no real response and then by the time it came to the second sachet then there was no doubt. Drink lots of water too as that will help the "flushing" process as all the Picalax is designed to do is to give the mucosal surface of the intestine-particularly the lower colon a good cleansing so that the gastroenterologist can see clearly whether there are any polyps or inflammation and should be able to tell you as soon as he/she has finished. As I am sure you remember you cannot drive after the proceedure because of the alagesic they give to relax you.

It is better to be approximately right than precisely wrong
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 13-04-2009, 02:53 PM

alagesic

Shouldn't that be ANAL-GESIC?!!!!!!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 13-04-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeneyPlayer
Don't worry it will work! From memory I had the same-ie no real response and then by the time it came to the second sachet then there was no doubt. Drink lots of water too as that will help the "flushing" process as all the Picalax is designed to do is to give the mucosal surface of the intestine-particularly the lower colon a good cleansing so that the gastroenterologist can see clearly whether there are any polyps or inflammation and should be able to tell you as soon as he/she has finished. As I am sure you remember you cannot drive after the proceedure because of the alagesic they give to relax you.
Yep....you absolutely right....lift off commenced around 2pm

I am such an old worrier, was convinced the picolax wasn't right and I would get there tomorrow and be sent home with another 2 sachets

I have managed to get 3 pints of water down but I really struggled as I don't drink much fluids normally (even less since I gave up the vino ).

2nd sachet due soon - deep joy, but at least I'm in my own home and got my own toilet etc - hated being in hospital to have it done.

Hubby will be taking me in tomorrow and collecting me so no worries about transport - thank goodness!

Thanks for replying.....what a way to spend Easter eh?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 13-04-2009, 07:21 PM

Hi
I had some last year, what comes to mind is "eye of a needle" and rectum sorum.
Good luck.

Ron
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 13-04-2009, 08:30 PM

My Motorhome: Autosleeper Orian Saturn
Mine was reminiscent of a flock of pigeons taking flight! Don't worry it will work and you will wonder when its going to stop!

Graham

PS don't forget to smile when they take the pictures!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 13-04-2009, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

WHEN WILL IT STOP

I now feel like I'm pooing razor blades, this is not nice.

Surely colonic irrigation would do the same job - and they say that is quite pleasant
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 13-04-2009, 09:11 PM

Except for the poor person administering it, unless they have a peculiar fetish that is!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-04-2009, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Update!!

Hi everyone
The dreaded bowel prep just got worse and worse as the night wore on. I can't believe how sore I got and that stuff is like acid coming out in great whooshes. I finally got to bed around 3am this morning and had to be up at 7.30...when guess what???

It all started again - must have gone another 5 or 6 times before finally getting to the hospital convinced they wouldn't do it as I was still pooing.

Anyway, they said it would be fine and at 10am (an hour after getting to hospital) they had me in theatre and I was given the wonderful anaesthetic and zonked off while they got on with the deed.

Woke up at 10.40 and felt fine - still bit sore but just relieved it was all over with and hoping tests all clear. Surgeon came and saw me bit later and confirmed it was all fine, no polyps, no nasties and also he said I was clean as a whistle....which did surprise me.

Came home and had another good sleep and now just dealing with the rumbly tummy and excess of wind

Thanks for all your help and support

Maura
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-04-2009, 08:14 PM

Hi Maura

Glad everything went OK, and the results were good.

If anyone were to ask what was discussed on MHF, I think this thread would be one of the more unusual

Gerald

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page